Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1871 Shield Nickel For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 10 / Views: 200Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
282 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I've had this coin for awhile. Obviously a key date. Purchased as part of an inherited collection.

My initial estimate at the grade when I first acquired it was VG Details due to the corrosion. I think it may well be a ground find.

I've been re-organizing and took another look and figured I'd get a second opinion on the grade. I also now recognize what looks to me like PVC contamination and given the details nature of the coin I think it's worth an acetone soak to try to mitigate it.

Opinions appreciated.


1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading

1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79190 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say you're correct.
Errers and Varietys.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195747 Posts
New Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
34 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is the way to go.
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input folks. The reverse certainly looks better than the obverse IMO and I'm wondering if it's already been cleaned at some point (although maybe not with acetone) giving it the cameo aspect @jbuck mentioned. It's a keeper anyway.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195747 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107152 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
key date?


Fair question @Dearborn. I was going by the relatively low mintage. I guess it is not a key date officially. Thanks for pointing it out.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195747 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would call it a semi-key date. It is one of four with mintage below one million.
Pillar of the Community
United States
980 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adam126402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt acetone will touch the green stuff. But certainly won't hurt. I tried acetone and a long long soak in Verdicare and no improvement whatsoever.
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37154 Posts
 Posted Today  18M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details, environmental damage. No dip or other solution will help this one.
  Replies: 10 / Views: 200Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Forums