| Author |
Replies: 15 / Views: 435 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
909 Posts |
I am considering this one as another upgrade to the VG8 that holds the spot now. I'm going to go with a weak obverse strike for the rays, head, left leg gown lines worn so low. Sandals are nice. If I can get a 20 out of this one I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. I am at 25.   Not my photos.
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37161 Posts |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18927 Posts |
they did have issues with strike in the earlier walkers, however with the amount of wear on the coin, its hard to say how much would be attributed to wear/strike on this one.
the obv looks low end VF20 and the reverse VF25 so I can see your dilemma. obverses tend to override reverse in most series so I'm at VF20
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19599 Posts |
Agree. Strong VF20. Piece does have character!
|
|
New Member
United States
39 Posts |
Im leaning more towards VF-25 on this one, but its close. If it was submitted to a TPG it might be a 50/50 to whether it gets a 20 or 25.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79294 Posts |
I agree with above. VF.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196064 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1870 Posts |
With @panzaldi on this one. Obverse holds this one back.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107466 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3568 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
909 Posts |
Based on the consensus, I pulled the trigger. It came Wed. Here's what I got.  
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18927 Posts |
Dang...to me it appears to have been cleaned. the entire coin appears to be that gun-metal gray with only some light grime in the deepest recesses. this is not correct for a VF20 coin. their initial photos were a little deceiving. in fact, when comparing the initial photos to the in-hand photos it may have been cleaned after those photos were taken prior to sending it to you.
depending on how much you paid, I would consider returning it if they have a return policy unless you like the coin and you are ok with a details coin.
BTW - nice photos
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196064 Posts |
Quote: in fact, when comparing the initial photos to the in-hand photos it may have been cleaned after those photos were taken prior to sending it to you.  Quote: BTW - nice photos 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3740 Posts |
Your coin has a weak obverse strike, and that affects the apparent grade. This makes the obverse appear to be F-15, but that doesn't match the evident lesser wear on the reverse. Balancing strike and circulation wear, I have the obverse at VF-20 and reverse at VF-25, net VF-20. I agree with VF Details, cleaned.
IMHO, the seller adjusted the listing photos to make the coin's surface more visible, but used the wrong approach to do so. It appears that the seller adjusted the warmth downward, which shifts the color spectrum from centered to the blue end of the spectrum. This is why the seller's photos looked blue-gray. This tends to make evidence of cleaning less apparent. A better way to make surface contact marks more visible is to adjust brightness down and exposure up very slightly, which leaves the coin's appearance intact.
On a bourse floor, the cleaning would be the discussion point. Everything else about the coin looks solid.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196064 Posts |
Thank you for sharing your analysis, FC. 
|
| |
Replies: 15 / Views: 435 |
|