Quote:
*** Artificial Intelligence (AI) removed per rules.
@Dearborn thanks for trying! Unfortunately, I was unable to catch your response before it was removed. Do you remember the main point?
I am beginning to think that the 1% thinner refers more to relief height rather than planchet thickness. We know that the location of legends was changed for the
State Quarters and the bust was made smaller, both to better accommodate the reverse designs. We know production levels were higher and the implication of these actions may be that the relief was lowered in order to maintain or extend die life under the increase strains brought on by the changes.
In the work I have been doing on 2026 Dimes (links following), I have seen as much as a 45 microns higher relief in Philadelphia than in Denver, so I know that such differences are possible.
A study of Hertzian Contact Theory leads me to suspect that:
The article I wrote about differences (
https://coinweek.com/philadelphia-m...-varieties/) states a faulty syllogism that since the mint experienced die breakage and shorter die life using flat dies and in 1836 converted to spherical die faces thus extending die life, therefore Philadelphia, since they experience more die events, must have "flatter" dies than Denver.
It is looking like Denver has "flatter" dies.
I hope to have more data to work with to resolve that question if I ever receive a copy of a mint striking study I requested via FOIA the first week of August.
2026 Dime Articles Links
I recently undertook a fairly detailed study of the 2026 Dimes that I found most challenging and interesting. The results may be seen in COINWEEK:
Coin Die Design for the 21st Century: Did the 2026-P Dime Break a 100-Year Mint Rule? by Pete Apple, June 25, 2026,
https://coinweek.com/coin-die-desig...r-mint-rule/ Transitioning Curvatures of 2026-P Dime Coin Dies - How the 2026-P Emerging Liberty Dime Could Signal a New Era in U.S. Mint Die Engineering, July 10, 2026
https://coinweek.com/transitioning-...engineering/ Curious Die Events on 2026-P Emerging Liberty Dimes, COINWEEK, By Pete Apple, September 1, 2026
https://coinweek.com/curious-die-ev...berty-dimes/