Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1895-R Italy - 1 Centesimo W/Impact-Induced Bi-Level Radial Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 156Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
MintedNotPrinted's Avatar
United States
1774 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
That is quite a long way to say "die crack", but I'm attempting to be as specific as possible.

It has what looks very much like a lamination, but where there would normally be a torn or peeled look at the edges, there is an outline of raised metal / die cracks. The cracks continue in either direction to the rim, and the upper-right hand side of the obverse is at a slightly higher elevation than the lower-left.

https://www.error-ref.com/die-crack...-die-cracks/
https://www.error-ref.com/bi-level_die_cracks_/
https://www.error-ref.com/bilateral...-die-cracks/

Please let me know if you think I've gotten it wrong!

1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
1895-R-Italy---1-Centesimo-W/Impact-Induced-Bi-Level-Radial-Die-Crack
Pillar of the Community
publius's Avatar
United States
864 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add publius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard not to think that the die must have disintegrated completely, shortly after this strike.
Pillar of the Community
MintedNotPrinted's Avatar
United States
1774 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed!

Such a small die too, it's only a 15mm / 1g coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79414 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that it's not a Lamination error?
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
MintedNotPrinted's Avatar
United States
1774 Posts
 Posted Today  12H 21M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't sure from the seller's photos when I bought it (it was listed as "error"), so I completely understand the hesitation, though I would say that I'd be happy with a lamination error regardless

I'll gladly post some more angled shots if you're interested. The amount of die cracking rather than peeling, and the visible elevation difference in hand, has me thinking a crack/break of some form.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196204 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79414 Posts
 Posted Today  37M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see more angles pictures of your coin, MintedNotPrinted.
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
MintedNotPrinted's Avatar
United States
1774 Posts
 Posted Today  23M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MintedNotPrinted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck, Errers

I'll post some more shots once I'm home tonight
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 156Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Forums