Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

C. N. Journal Articles On Victorian Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 80 / Views: 12,971Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1375 Posts
 Posted Today  16H 26M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1881 and 1882 cents are extremely complicated, particularly the hybrids, and numerous hybrid dies were sunk and used. The best study of them I have seen has been done by another collector but is yet unpublished. His study was based on far more coins in hand, several hundred across both dates, than was my study in Dies & Diadems. I referred to it several times in my recent CN Journal articles. It is excellent.

Most (and perhaps all) of the obverse punches used in 1881 were raised with single serifs and the double serifs were added by re-punching the working dies individually. This re-punching by Heaton was often poorly done and remnants of the underlying single serif letters can be seen on some dies, like the one you posted.

It generally took three pressings to sink an obverse die in 1881 and 1882. Often, the same punch was not used in the three successive pressings, hence the hybrid dies. Add to that the facts that the different punches and dies distorted to varying degrees, that dies were uniquely corrected by re-punching, and you get the complicated landscape that is 1881 and 1882 cents. I would respectfully suggest you read the following two articles which describes a few fascinating 1882 obverse hybrid dies and how they came to be. The articles are also generally applicable to the die-sinking process used in 1881.

Dan Flynn and Rob Turner, "Unintended Consequences - The 1882-H Obverse 2 over 1 Cents from the Heaton Mint," Canadian Numismatic Journal, vol. 68, no. 5, (Markham ON: RCNA, July/August 2023), 212-219.

Rob Turner, "A Numismatic Unicorn," Canadian Numismatic Journal, vol. 69, no. 8, (Markham ON: RCNA, December 2024), 352-357.

http://www.victoriancent.com

2011 & 2025 Fred Bowman Literary Award, 2025 Guy Potter Literary Award, 2022 Paul Fiocca Award, & 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson Award. Life Member of RCNA.
Edited by bosox
Today 16H 9M ago
New Member
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted Today  12H 23M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjd1402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, they're very complicated years. I mispoke about the J punch, as I didn't mean to involve the 1882H yet. I'm purely concentrating on the 1881H for now.

I knew I was in for it when I found 10 die pairs after having gone through only 20 coins. It settled down a bit after that. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 50 die pairs. I knew there was someone conducting studies of the 1881 & 1882 but they obviously have remained unpublished and only available to a limited few for now. I may be able to publish the 1881 in the next couple months but I already know it won't be as complete as I would probably like. I usually have a sense that I have the 90-95% solution, because of sample size . But this study will require very high grade coins to do it justice, obviously problematic if sample size is insufficient. I think I've 've got about 60 on hand, none MS but a few AU, but I won't look at them until I think the study is reasonably complete - what I believe is the 80% solution in this case. It would be interesting to compare the results of two independent studies on this coin.

I doubt very much I will study the 1882. At a mintage of 4,000,000 I suspect that year would be brutal. I've got other more important coins of various denominations on my hit list.

BTW, I recently published the 1898H One Cent study I sent you few years ago. Its not quite the same since I made some amendments, and the sample size changed. You can access at https://substack.com/@classiccanadiannumismatics if you 'd like to check it out.

Rich
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5654 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rjd ... I think that you should take Rob's suggestion about looking at the two articles on the '81's. Rob and Dan have worked for years together on this and other dated Vicky cents. Just reading your post on the '81's seems to me that more or refocused eyeballs will be needed. The '81's will be a handful. In my opinion, the '81's will be much tougher than the '59's were for Jim Haxby.
New Member
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 47M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjd1402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those articles appear to be 1882 centric which isn't germane to my current work. In any case, since I'm not a RCNA member it will be difficult to access. However, I am a member of my local coin club, in Halifax. I actually don't mind conducting independent work that hopefully reinforces findings by others. And believe it or not, even though my die studies are not "forensic" in nature, I do discover things that others have not and the only way they'll know too is if they read my SubStack articles. Granted, I do not provide an image of every die break or repunched character. That's not the purpose of my studies; determining quantity of die pairs is, because that is what is fundamentally important. If the sample size is statistically significant, which I endeavour to achieve, relative die pair rarity is possible. The "holy grail" is finding all die pairs and determining die pair order of use. When I find a coin where one side is paired with 4 different opposite sides that's very cool. When I find a crossover obverse die that was used in a previous mintage year that's extremely cool too. A lot of content is free, some is not. I have the lowest subscription price Substack allows at 8 cents per day.

Once I complete the 1881 study it will be available for viewing and constructive critique. Might be a few months, since I have numerous other studies on the go, a couple of which will be published first (1881H 50C &1872H 5C are probably next). I'll have dozens of studies (not all will be die studies) published by 2028 when Halifax next hosts the RCNA convention. I'll probably have a vendor table so if anyone would like to talk to me in person about any of the studies that will be the opportunity.

RD
Edited by rjd1402
Today 4H 36M ago
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1375 Posts
 Posted Today  19M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suit yourself. Yes, the two articles are about distinctive hybrid 1882 cents, but the die sinking info on hybrid die anomalies contained in the articles applies to both 81 and 82.
http://www.victoriancent.com

2011 & 2025 Fred Bowman Literary Award, 2025 Guy Potter Literary Award, 2022 Paul Fiocca Award, & 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson Award. Life Member of RCNA.
Edited by bosox
Today 7M ago
  Replies: 80 / Views: 12,971Next Topic
Page: of 6

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Forums