Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Fake Or Genuine Ancient Roman Coins ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Valued Member
Aref's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
208 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  5:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I came across these coins on Instagram and I need help identifying whether they are genuine or fake before purchasing them. I would be grateful for your insights. I do not have access to better pictures.

Fake-Or-Genuine-Ancient-Roman-Coins-?
Fake-Or-Genuine-Ancient-Roman-Coins-?
Fake-Or-Genuine-Ancient-Roman-Coins-?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Victor's Avatar
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

they look fine
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196389 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will defer to Victor, but I have to say I like the cameo effect!
Valued Member
Aref's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
208 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sharp details and a price tag of $54 for the entire set makes me feel like this deal is too good to be true.
Valued Member
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Empty_Pockets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to collecting ancients, but for the little I know I think they are legit. Especially if Victor chimes in.
Here is a good website on what to do.
https://www.numisdon.com/clean-roman-coins-safely/
Joanne


Edit: By the way I love the Campgate
Edited by Empty_Pockets
10/05/2026 6:41 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34563 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2026  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the cameo effect


That sand/desert patina may have been added recently.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Aref's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
208 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That sand/desert patina may have been added recently.


This is what I'm investigating. I'm very new to Roman coins. Lots of homework to be done.
Valued Member
Aref's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
208 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a good website on what to do.


Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3496 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Twenty years ago one might have pulled these coins out of a large bowl full at a 'coin show' and paid $6-8 dollars apiece
For a brief period the internet made ancients quite affordable !
I still have a few treasures I scooped up back then
But the internet brought in the 'comedians' who now list similar coins for outrageous prices
$54 is a nice price .
But personally I wouldn't bite much beyond that !
But I am a notorious 'cheapskate' !
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196389 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That sand/desert patina may have been added recently.
Valued Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
50 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patina looks fake, likely its covering up some corrosion/bronze disease pitting, especially on the obverse of the Constantine campgate.
Valued Member
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
United States
283 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Empty_Pockets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
henryvoight...What makes you cue in on the Constantine campgate?
Joanne
Valued Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
50 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im not the best at explaining things, so bear with me.

Look at the cheek, you can see some of the metal of the cheek, but there's large areas of sand at the same level as these parts of the face, where the metal of the face should be more or less flat, on the same level. Also, the lips seem higher in relief than the cheek even though they should be lower or at the same level. It looks like there was bronze disease that pitted out parts of the face and then someone filled in these pits with sand, and then liberally applied alot more sand on the rest of the coin to make it look more presentable. The pitting looks the worst on the neck. If it was bronze disease there's a possibility it might reactivate under the sand and eat the coin from the inside out.
Valued Member
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
United States
283 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Empty_Pockets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
henryvoight...I can see what your explaining now. Makes sense. Thank you for describing it to me, its very much appreciated.
Joanne



Edit: And this is why I buy my coins from Forvm.
Edited by Empty_Pockets
Yesterday 10:24 pm
Valued Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
50 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 41M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun, heres my attribution attempt:

From the top, then left to right:
Constantine I or his sons, 330-348 AE Nummus (commemorative issue for founding of Constantinople), obv CONSTANS TINOPOLIS bust left, helmeted, curiassed, holding reversed spear, rev aniepigraph, winged victory on prow, w/ scepter and shield, Thessalonica mint, RIC VII Thessalonica 188 (or 230?)
Constantine I, 306-337, AE Nummus, obv CONSTANTINUS AVG, bust right laurate, rev PROVIDENTIAE AVGG, Campgate with 2 towers and star, 5 stone layers, Nicomedia mint, not sure of RIC number.
Carus, 282-283, Antoninianus (Aurelianius) obv MP C M AVR CARVS P F AVG bust right, radiate, draped, cuirassed, rev VIRTVS AVGG, Carus reciving globe from Carinus or Jupiter, Triopolis mint. RIC-V 128
Claudius II Gothicus, 268-270, Antoninianus obv IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG bust right, radiate, draped, rev AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas with scales and cornucopia, Rome mint. RIC-V 14
Licinius II Junior 317-324, AE Nummus Obv LICINIVS IVN NOB CAES, bust right, laurate, draped, cuirassed, rev VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, 2 victories holding wreath above altar, VOT PR in wreath, Siscia mint. RIC-VII Sisca 70

do you agree?
Valued Member
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
United States
283 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 25M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Empty_Pockets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a beginner but to me.
Joanne
Edited by Empty_Pockets
Today 1H 24M ago
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Forums