| Author |
Replies: 14 / Views: 672 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1784 Posts |
Very interesting...  Seems rather far away and awfully tilted, but 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3582 Posts |
Wow, very interesting indeed.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5897 Posts |
Curious if the ddr-004 is a secondary column.
Your last image seems to show a second raised line in the lower left corner as well. Definitely not from hits.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196340 Posts |
Interesting find. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79472 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3744 Posts |
It's definitely something that isn't PMD. Really interesting coin. There's a lot going on with that die pair. There is fairly heavy die clash polishing and some post-polishing additional die clashing. There are quite a few significant surface die cracks and a few deeper cracks. The cracks SE of the mm are also interesting. Overall, this die pair was working long past retirement age. One of the surface cracks on the reverse meanders from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock through the Memorial. It looks like it is nearly coast-to-coast, but not deep enough to affect the devices. Could the lower of the raised lines in the bay be part of the long surface die crack? The upper line sure looks like it is either a DDR or possibly a deep die gouge. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts |
It tapers off more than WDDR-003 (DDR-004) does so I'd lean more towards being a gouge but it does deserve a closer look.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
757 Posts |
Thank you all for your evaluations of this coin. I think I will send in.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107837 Posts |
I think that I agree with CoinHi - it being a die gouge.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
757 Posts |
I sent it in for attribution. I will share the results when it comes back. Thanks for all of your comments.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6196 Posts |
Reasonable to send this one in. The diagonal seems like an obvious die gouge, but the shadowy bulge below it could be clash or part of a DDR. So the whole picture looks like a combo and not a DDR, but worth having it reviewed.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
757 Posts |
The results are in! As it turns out Dearborn and everyone else who said die gouge are correct. It not a DDR. But know at least I know.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2817 Posts |
Thanks for the update.
now we know.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196340 Posts |
Quote:As it turns out Dearborn and everyone else who said die gouge are correct. It not a DDR. But know at least I know. Thank you for sharing. 
|
| |
Replies: 14 / Views: 672 |
|