|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 28,074 / Views: 2,338,318 |
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts |
Ksammut, I use a magnify lens with a light when I search, They are very easy to find with one of these, its a 3 power plus a 10 power so I can get a close up. For me once I personally found one I find them easy to find. I have found 48 DDO and have searched 273,680 coins, so that is approximately 1 out of every 3 boxes searched, give or take. I found 3 today out of the 4 boxes I searched this morning. Good Luck Here is a pic of the magnifier I use. 
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96 08/06/2014 4:49 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts |
I cracked open 4 boxes today and it was a good day, I pulled 4-90%ers, and 5-40%ers, Box 1, 2-68, box 2, 3-64 and 1-67, box 3, 1-65, 1-66, and box 4, 1-64. I also pulled 3-74D DDO, 4-Clad Proofs, 77S, 79S, 80S, and O2S, and 3 NIFC 05, 06 and 13. 1 holed coin too.      Remember "LOVE THE HUNT!"
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96 08/06/2014 5:00 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
968 Posts |
I went to my bank today and talked to the manager. He was very accommodating and orders for 10 boxes were placed for me at five different branches, arriving next Tuesday. This should be interesting.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts |
ARBY, what kind of goal do you set for yourself. I put 1 roll of 90% and 3 rolls 40% in the safe deposit box, save for rainy day. Started June 1st, and opened 26 boxes, 5 were skunks. Would this be average? I am in Delaware, near the ocean, maybe people cash in silver for vacation or food(times are tough in this area). Comments welcome! Good luck on the hunt everyone.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts |
box of halves plenty of dcm coins, there was more I already wrapped up 
|
|
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts |
After 7 skunk boxes in a row! I just got done with 3 boxes. Box 1- 3 40%, 1971-S Box 2- 6 40% Box 3- 8 40%, 1 gold plated, 1 NIFC, 1 Proof, 1 magic coin and....................... 1 1970-D IN GEM CONDITION! MY FIRST ONE!
|
|
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts |
Yesterday I was looking through my family's safely deposit box and first thing I see is a barber half from 1912 a nice addition to the collection of halves!
|
|
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts |
@ arby Quote: I use a magnify lens with a light when I search, They are very easy to find with one of these, its a 3 power plus a 10 power so I can get a close up How much does one of these cost?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts |
Pamelajoe, I started searching in November 2013 and set a goal to find 1000 silver pieces for the year, Once I reached that goal, I looked at the numbers I was pulling and set another goal of 200 more. I have noticed a drop in the amount of silver I am finding. There could be a couple of reasons why, 1. more people are searching and 2. as the Christmas gets closer more people turn in coins and thus more silver is put into circulation? I am not sure, I believe I have read in this blog that individuals here tend to find more silver in the winter months and early spring. This is my first year and it will be interesting to me to see what happens during those months this time. Littlebirdy8, I picked up this magnifier at Staples and I believe it cost me $19 or $29 bucks, its well worth the investment if you are looking for error coins.
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
|
|
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts |
Thank you, Arby, and if you don't mind, do you save or sell your finds? again thank you! Drove through your state going from Fort Hood, Texas to Las Vegas and back, 1989. Nice views.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts |
Pamelajoe, I tend to hoard most of my finds, I have sold some, it depends on my mood and If I find something I am looking for.
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
|
|
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts |
I sold a scratched up Franklin at the local auction house to test the waters.it brought $35. Pleasantly surprised.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts |
Just finished up 4 boxes this morning, Boxes 1,2, and3 were skunks for silver, Box 4, I pulled 7-40%ers, 1-65, 3-67, 1-68 and 2-69s. I also pulled 3-74D DDOs, 2, clad proofs, 80S, 98S, 1-76 gold plated, and a 1987P. That is the first 87P I have seen in a long time. 4-NIFC, 1-04, and 3-07s, and 3-holed coins.  Always remember to  "LOVE THE HUNT!"  
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Edited by arby96 08/08/2014 1:08 pm
|
|
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts |
@coinsrus; those were from about a month ago. I've been spending a lot of them on the east side of Tucson. I guess Walmart's not handing them back in change!
|
|
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts |
@ army. The 87 P?. I'm fairly new at this. Is it a low mint. I'm pretty sure I've passed over one or two.
|
| |
Replies: 28,074 / Views: 2,338,318 |
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- What Happened To My 1967 Quarter?
- My Latest Pickup - Peace Dollar
- 1932 Eagle "in Cod We Trust"
- 1970 S Lincoln Cent Proof - Explanation Help
- Video: Behind The Design Of Currency Symbols
- Video: Numismatic Finds From The Karkemish Excavations
- Wanted: Whitman And Harris Folders For US Coins In Australia
- 2026 United States Mint Proof Set Available On October 6
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Practice Makes Perfect: Summary & Student Growth, Ep. 10
- Advanced US Coin Grading: The Classroom Competition, Ep. 9
- Advanced US Coin Grading: The Importance Of Eye Appeal, Ep. 8
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Coin Grading With Jeff Garrett, Ep. 7
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Advanced Coin Grading With Don Ketterling, Ep. 6
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Determining Coin Grading Skills, Ep. 5
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Counterfeit Awareness In Coin Grading, Ep. 4
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Grading Services Progression And Current Landscape, Ep. 3
- Advanced US Coin Grading: A Review And History Of Coin Grading, Ep. 2
- Advanced US Coin Grading: Introduction, Ep. 1
- 1984 (1985) India 20 Rupee, PCGS PL-66, Indira Gandhi
- Philippine Peso 1905 S
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |