| Author |
Replies: 25 / Views: 1,053 |
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2321 Posts |
Confusion on my end. I too am curious how Pcgs will treat this one with the new authenticity guarantee.
You realize when you know how to think, it empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.
-Neil deGrasse Tyson
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5720 Posts |
I wonder if someone really wanted the coin as a genuine 1800 with an expertly altered date, perhaps for a counterfeit collection, would the ebay authenticity guarantee prevent them from acquiring the coin?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
981 Posts |
Well, the sold listing appears to have been deleted by ebay. Maybe someone else take a look just to make sure I'm not missing something.
Edited by adam126402 09/25/2026 7:01 pm
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
428 Posts |
Quote:Well, the sold listing appears to have been deleted by ebay. Maybe someone else take a look just to make sure I'm not missing something. The listing is gone, my bet is that ebay has that new authentication thing for coins over $500, I bet it got rejected for being a blatant fake of the "king of coins", despite being an genuine coin and the alteration clearly stated. But just my guess, I don't actually know. Edit: credit to others above who noted this same thing. BTW, I received my first ebay authenticated coin, barely over $500 but it qualified, and arrived with no trace of a certificate or statement or anything. Guess we just take their word for it.
Edited by TimNH 09/26/2026 01:54 am
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
21900 Posts |
adam126402 Correct, the listing has been removed by ebay, if the sale had gone through, the original listing would still be there but saying SOLD.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5720 Posts |
I'm still seeing the listing showing it being sold for $1180 from the original link. Maybe they pulled it for being a counterfeit, then changed their mind?
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
21900 Posts |
Thats strange zurie, I still see the "We looked everywhere" statement from ebay which means it has been pulled.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5720 Posts |
That is odd. I clicked on that link multiple times and refreshed the page, and I still see the sold listing. But then I tried searching for that item and couldn't find it. Maybe my computer has a built in wayback machine!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3739 Posts |
This topic poses an interesting question. Using a genuine 1800 sure suggests a very old altered date. I wonder if this alteration was done around the time large cents were being altered to "create" an 1815 date to fill in collections? If the older altered large cents are collectible, and if contemporary counterfeits are collectible, couldn't this coin also be collectible for the same reason? 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195822 Posts |
Quote:BTW, I received my first ebay authenticated coin, barely over $500 but it qualified, and arrived with no trace of a certificate or statement or anything. Guess we just take their word for it. Interesting. 
|
| |
Replies: 25 / Views: 1,053 |