Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

jimineez's Last 20 Posts

Exchanging Silver For Gold At LCS ?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2020  3:08 pm
Agree with fistfull, Provident (JMBullion) have pretty fair prices on both buy and sell so you could have a baseline there. You may find selling there and buying elsewhere to be somewhat better. Better yet, find an individual on the forums that is looking to go the other way on a trade and you may both win.
Forum: Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

Any Way To Help Restore An Acid Tested Morgan Dollar?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/04/2013  08:21 am
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm still not sure what route I'll take
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coins

Are These Buying Prices Normal?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/01/2013  11:11 am
Honestly doesn't look too bad to me. You know what most we buy gold shops will give you for that morgan dollar? Probably in the neighborhood of $12....so this guy offering $20 is certainly better.

No, he can't have mine at that, but he is offering more than a lot of people sell theirs for.

Point is, yeah he is a bit low, but I wouldn't call him a scammer. My aunt took some sterling flatware to a buy gold place not long ago and they offered her 25c per gram when melt value was over 80c! now that is a scam! I had her mail it to me, got 90% of melt for it, and gave her all but 10% of the money.... they also offered less than half of the melt value on some nice gold jewelry....I told her to run away!

Any Way To Help Restore An Acid Tested Morgan Dollar?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/01/2013  09:18 am
Just picked up five cheap morgan dollars from a middleman that were acid tested by some buyer unfortunately. Luckily they are all 1921's, not rare dates, but I'd like to see if there is some way to help them.

My thought is that if the acid just etches the top surface a bit, maybe I can just carry them around in my pocket a while and that surface will slowly go away and expose an original silver surface again. I mean, they are already lightly circulated, so maybe I can just circulate them a bit more and make the acid spot go away....mostly.

Thoughts?

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/23924600@N07/8608994791/][/url]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/23924600@N07/8608994791/]1921morgans001_edited[/url] by [URL="http://www.flickr.com/people/23924600@N07/]jhf1621[/url], on Flickr

Are All 1964 Kennedy Halves 90% Silver?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/04/2012  09:44 am
yep
Forum: US Modern Coins

Reeded Edge Difference In Gold Half Eagles
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/23/2012  11:17 pm
Thanks for that link! Very interesting.
I see that there are way more variants than the 2 I saw....I guess what I observed was just normal.

Reeded Edge Difference In Gold Half Eagles
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/23/2012  2:19 pm
So,
I was looking at a few gold half eagles from the late 1800's and when stacked it was very obvious that the reeded edge was different.
It looks like the couple from San Francisco have fine, closely spaced reeds while the no mint mark Philadelphia coins have a more coarse reeded edge.
I assume this is correct and normal?
I this common knowledge that I'm just now stumbling on?
Thanks!

Best Place To Sell Silver Mint Sets?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/10/2012  1:28 pm
Yeah, back when it was a forum list I'd do that...but the new pocket-it-now thing just seems like a big step backwards....I guess maybe I could try. Thanks
Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

Best Place To Sell Silver Mint Sets?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/10/2012  1:02 pm
Hi everyone.
I got into Canadian silver last year and ended up with a bunch of nice 1965 mint sets in the cellophane. I need to sell them, preferably 10 or more at a time, does anyone know of the best place to send them? Most of the US dealers are just offering 90% of spot silver, but I feel these are too nice for that...spot would be great!
Thanks for any help!
--JF in GA
Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

Help! I Need A 1 Kilo Silver Coin Capsule
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/24/2011  8:57 pm
Makes sense about the counterfeit idea, of course it would be easier to counterfeit the capsule than the coin!
Regardless, I just made a nice trade for both of my Perth kilo's, so I am happy and dont have to deal with it anyway.
Thanks for the help...!
Forum: Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT): Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/18/2011  09:22 am
thanks for the links, 100mm should be right, but they don't say those fit the Aus. coins, just pandas... Anyone know if they are exactly the same?

Also, don't these get TPG graded sometimes? if so, I thought I might get an unused capsule that way...but I guess thoses would all be at NGC!
Forum: Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT): Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/17/2011  4:22 pm
I just bought a 1 kilo .999 silver Kookaburra coin and the mint capsule on it is cracked....anybody have a replacement they will part with or know where I can find one?
It has the same dimensions as my kilo koala coin, so other Australian 1 kilo capsules should fit it too.
Thanksfully the coin is A-OK
Anyone?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Willing to trade these out for 1oz bullion...check the trade forum for my new post.

Testing Silver, Turns Black?!?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/09/2011  11:55 pm
my silver test acid turns red with 90%, red with 92.5%, and red with .999 ...
not really an answer to you, but my observation fwiw...

Value Info On This Big $250 Bahamas Gold Columbus Commem?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/20/2011  07:27 am
well,
I did sell it, I "only" got just a hair under spot but it needed to go....buh-bye :-)
Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

Blemished Ages?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/04/2011  09:21 am
Silver sometimes has minimums, gold normally does not. But they will pay much more if you have a nice quantity.
Kitco: paying 91% for gold if small quantities
Midwest: pays 95%, but you'll usually lose a bit on a waste factor if jewelry, hopefully not if coins but I've never melted coins!
Millennium precious metals: much less known, claim they pay 99%, can't say but never read any horror stories with them, I may try soon.
Market Harmony: only 88% on small quantities of 22k and lower, much more if over 5 oz. But will do 95% if it is .999 gold (one reason pure gold is better than 22k/917. However, these guys do pay for the silver contained in the coin too.

Latest Find....in My Own House
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/03/2011  9:47 pm
lol,
want to sell to me at a nice discount..you know, found money and all!
Forum: Main Coin Forum

Blemished Ages?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/03/2011  9:37 pm
you can easily sell the dinged ones for at least spot, just don't sell to a LCS, I certainly never ever do...ever. Heck, you can melt them for 95% if you deal with the refiner...it is all about cutting out the middleman. But almost any AGE shouldn't be melted no matter what some "dealer" or pawnshop says.
Get in touch with me, I'll buy them for spot unless they are torn up badly or bent (3% under if so). I can sell them for 5% over on a quick deal, probably more like 10%. You have to deal with bullion people, not numismatic people, for stuff like this! "gold is gold" is the motto around my usual customers/friends. $5 over spot like I said is about 3%...offer him spot if you want, but if/when those glued ones clean up, you'll be sitting on 10%-15% premium coins that you paid just 3% over for! 1/10 AGE are just about the most liquid coin there is!

Blemished Ages?
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/03/2011  8:04 pm
Make him a nice offer on all of them, say $5 per coin over spot.
soak in acetone for the glue ones and they will likely clean up, then sell the worst of the others for $5 over spot and break even on them. You'll be left with some nice coins for a very low premium.

Face Value To Troy Oz Conversion
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 07/16/2011  09:40 am
google silver recyclers
the calculator does not figure any wear at all...
Forum: US Modern Coins

Todays Silver And Gold Purchase
jimineez
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
Old Post Posted 07/13/2011  11:24 pm
nice...
a 10 ounce gold bar? I personally wouldn't even think of it unless it was under spot by a decent amount, unless you can flip for a profit or something similar

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: