Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

nealeffendi's Last 20 Posts

Duty And Taxes Importing Coins Into Australia
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/14/2023  7:02 pm
Its annoying that I've had to pay GST on pre decimals I've imported. Struck long before GST existed and they are used goods to boot. What's more if a coin is consigned from Australia to an overseas auction house and is then purchased by an Australian then GST is payable to bring it home. Could happen several times that GST is paid on the same coin as it goes through various owners.
Forum: Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

Future Of The Australasian Coin And Banknote Magazine
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/12/2023  09:47 am
The relaunched ACR is available as an online issue, or as an online issue with archived CAB and ACR or as a printed issue with archived CAB and ACR or as printed plus online issue with archived CAB and ACR. I went the printed issue and archived stuff for $199 as the option to also get the online issue would have been another $50. I'd have preferred to get it from the newsagent but they are going the way of record stores and video rentals.
And yes they are honouring existing subscriptions.
Forum: Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

Oops PCGS Accidently Sends A Client Coin Through Conservation Instead Of Grading.
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/28/2023  01:58 am
I'm with Pacificoin, Hardly a rare coin. but still what if it was a rare or unique coin, or a family heirloom where money cannot compensate nor buy a replacement.
What steps have they taken to ensure this NEVER happens again?
Forum: Third Party Coin Grading (TPG): PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, ETC.

David Gee What Did He Really Copy
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/22/2023  9:56 pm
So all the genuine coins and dies that he pilfered; where are they now? Did he destroy them, bury them, pass them on to relatives or co conspirators or is there an overlooked safety deposit box somewhere holding it all?
Forum: Variety & Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

PCGS Collectors Club Question(S)
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/22/2023  9:50 pm
Be wary of joining to get the 8 free submissions. They can and do refuse to honour that as back about 2018 after I paid to renew my membership they emailed me stating that they would not grade any submissions from me. That included not being able to use the 8 free submissions (and they don't refund either).
So since then I didn't renew my membership and I no longer bother to pass on information to them about fakes that they have graded.

Aussie Rarities
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/30/2023  03:08 am
Yep, strange when old threads are resurrected and names pop up. Happens on both this forum and on the Australian forum. Very few seem to be posting on either forum, why is that?

1933/34 Overdate Threepence?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/27/2023  10:08 pm
Need a high grade example to determine what exactly is under that 4. Might just be random bumps, lumps, deterioration and defects on a standard working die that somewhat look like it might be an overdate to our imagination
Forum: Variety & Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money: Australia, New Zealand, & South Pacific (Oceania)

nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  01:13 am
so in 1979 he was 49, in 1948 he would have been 18. Doubt any bank would let someone under 21 back then sign mortgage documents.

nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/12/2023  1:02 pm
I'm a bit curious about the mention of the King Farouk piece with a young Gee mortgaging property in 1948 to buy. I was always under the impression that the Farouk collection was auctioned off circa 1954 , some 2 years after the 1952 revolution that removed Farouk. So was Farouk selling part of his collection when he was still king or is that 1948 date an error?

The Kangaroo Office. Fact Or Fantasy?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/09/2023  9:46 pm
Slight nitpick, it isn't Rennicks but Renniks (Skinner in reverse).

What Do You Consider The Most Prestigious Grader?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/09/2023  9:35 pm
@T-BOP, the last thing you should use the graders for is authentication services. They have graded tens of thousands of fake coins and fake errors over the years. I should know as I was part of a group that warned them about a number of fake Australian coins that they had slabbed. After they were warned I then sent 2 fakes in as I wanted some fake coin bodybag labels for my collection. Silly buggers graded both coins as real MS65 coins and even put the image of one on their population report website. They were not pleased when I had them advised that they had goofed. This past year another collector tipped them off about a bunch of different fake error Australian decimals that Mr Magoo would have spotted as fake. I also have an Australian shilling that they certified as a NZ shilling, a London struck sixpence slabbed as a Melbourne struck sixpence and a Large Denticle florin slabbed as the more common Small Denticle florin (that I picked up at the price of the Small which is a quarter of the price of a Large).
Basically for common US coins you shouldn't need them to identify genuine from fake and for obscure international coins then if you collect them you probably have more knowledge about that particular country and series than some grader who only has a modicum of knowledge about the thousands of different coins from scores of countries that he is supposed to identify and grade.

1933/34 Overdate Threepence?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/22/2022  10:44 pm
Until Basils posting I didn't even know there was a wide date overdate in the threepence. Now another variety to hunt for. BTW that is a nice sharp image of the fine details.

So Many Bad 1881-CC $ "Coins" In "PCGS" Holders Lately
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  10:06 am
PCGS has a number of issues with photographing coins:
1: They still slab many coins with no image taken.
2: Many coins are imaged in the slab. Seems to be done in their HK submissions. The photos are low grade and things like die markers, cracks, scratches, dings etc cannot be seen.
3: Even their Trueview images can be hit and miss with less than sharp images a bane when zooming in to identify die markers
4: Photo cropping often trims the rim. Super annoying when trying to identify features like wire rims.
5: Without sharp images the markers for fake coins in genuine slabs cannot be seen. I collect genuine coins as well as fakes in genuine PCGS slabs, naturally I want to pay far less for the fakes than the genuine

My Probable Top 5 Favourite Decimal Errors
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/26/2022  04:10 am
Not a chance that most of these errors will ever turn up from noodling. I reckon that these sorts of errors are found by the guys working at the security companies that get the bulk deliveries from the mint and then roll them for distribution to banks and retailers. Things that the rolling machines reject. Sweet job to have for collectors, and even if they are not collectors they can make serious money from selling such errors.

Collecting Different Date Spacings And Alignments
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/04/2022  9:14 pm
Dr Briggs in his publications notes that there are many different date alignments in early florins. Some can only be appreciated in Unc condition and for those dates you are looking at 4 figures (sometimes 5 figures) per coin.

Post Your Pictures Of Low Mintage Coins In Terrible Condition
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/21/2022  01:29 am
I thought Korea was the source for the blanks

Stolen From Me In Southern California
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/19/2022  11:40 pm
Strange that the cops let the seller go. Here in Australia he would have been charged with stolen goods in possession (by law here if you find an item worth over $5 you are required to hand it to the police, if the item remains unclaimed after 3 months then the finder gets ownership).
Forum: Numismatic Crime

The Earliest Australian/Imperial Silver/Bronze/Copper Minted Coinage?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/12/2022  05:59 am
Sel, you wrote 1911 for bronze coinage minted in Australia, shouldn't that be 1919?

Petersham Coin Fair (Sydney)
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/13/2022  04:20 am
Ryurazu; I hope you mean by plastic sheets you mean non PVC sheets. Currently trying to salvage a couple of sheets of florins purchased below bullion value. Got a green goop on the rims and high points of many Unc florins.
Petersham doesn't have RAM there. I think the only time the RAM comes to Sydney is the annual ANDA fair later in the year.
I'll be at Petersham, it's been a year since they had one due to all the stupid government lockdowns.

When Will The Last 5cent Coin Be Minted In Australia?
nealeffendi
Pillar of the Community
Australia
818 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/05/2022  10:23 pm
*** Inappropriate Comment Removed by the Staff ***

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: