Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

allranger's Last 20 Posts

Help Me ID This Trade Token?
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/26/2022  5:02 pm
The number on the back sometimes was the number of the establishment or the vendor of the machine.

Guessing Great Depression era or a few years after. Just based off the fabric of the token, similar types of tokens can be found from that time period.

Basically going to be a maverick token as it I hard to say where it might be from. I had a number of these but ended up trading them out. Attribution is mostly from old timers memory if you are lucky.
Forum: Tokens, Medals, Challenge Coins, and other Exonumia

Places To Sell Some Coins From My Collection
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/18/2022  10:02 pm
They are all mostly higher value items, lowest is about $100 and the highest is about $5,000. I generally know the value of them, but I expect some fluctuations from the last year or two.

We don't have a local coin club and there isn't much in the way of local coin stores. I am in the United States so foreign coins are not as popular.

Facebook specially says no selling of currency and your account will get flagged. Not that it matters much as I don't have any social media. The selling section used to be more used here, but I guess I'll post what I have and see if any one wants it.

The landscape has changed when I put the hobby on pause, now I am not sure where things went.
Forum: Main Coin Forum

Places To Sell Some Coins From My Collection
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/13/2022  11:30 pm
So getting back into things after a couple of years and after going through my collection it has areas that are dangerously close to being a hoard. Decided to trim down some of the fat and sell off things I don't want to focus on anymore.

The selling section.... isn't what I remember it being. I bought a number of things from the forum before. Now there isn't much.

Most of what I have is all non-U.S. coins and tokens. So kind of black sheep to most people.

Are there better places to sell? Not looking at eBay much as I don't want to deal with them. The numista forums do not allow selling any more.

Is ecrater worthwhile? What about delcampe?

Where have people moved to for selling extras from their collections? Any comments about the current lay of the land would be helpful.
Forum: Main Coin Forum

Localized Name For Trade Tokens In The Mountain West
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/10/2020  2:19 pm
I am trying to find the spelling for a term that was used for trade tokens in the 30s and 40s.
Henkie, hinkey, henkey, or something along those lines.
I have tried searching with various combinations and do not get any hits. But I am not sure of the spelling, only the phonetics. The thought also occurs to me that it may just be a colloquialism that isn't in print.
I am in Idaho.
Thanks!
Forum: Tokens, Medals, Challenge Coins, and other Exonumia

What Type Error Is This?
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/04/2019  1:29 pm
My initial impression is that this looks like the early stages of a dryer coin, where a coin gets stuck in tumble dryer and the heat and spinning slowly deform it. If you do a search on the forum you will find some other pictures of similar looking coins.

Of course, error coins are not my thing so I will defer to others.
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

Why Were Some Of The First Coins So Small?
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/01/2019  10:50 am
+1 for the photo share Finn235.
Forum: Ancient, Greek, Roman, and Medieval Coins

Please Help Identify This Coin (Id: Qianlong Cash Repro)
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/27/2019  12:07 pm
It is a Chinese cash coin. I agree with Conder, it is probably not real because the characters look wrong. I am not sure if it would be a contemporary counterfeit or a modern one.
Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

Conserving An Ancient Lead Coin
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/17/2019  11:01 am
If the consensus is to leave the patina I will let it be.

For some reason I had it in my mind that the lead oxide would corrode the coin, and was thinking it would be best to remove it and coat with a layer of wax or lacquerer.

Conserving An Ancient Lead Coin
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/16/2019  9:11 pm
After find some references to lead coins and how they have been largely ignored by collectors for years (and how British coin collectors would routinely put them in the trash bin), I decided it was an area I might be interested in. I recently purchased an Indian lead coin, pictured here:

There is some white corrosion on the surface of the coin I was not ready to address. Honestly I hadn't thought of the difference of lead from other, more noble metals when I pulled the trigger. While I generally hold to the don't clean a coin school of though, unless it is ancient, I am wondering what to do in this case? Does any one have experience with these types of coins?

Coins Of India - Bull And Horseman Coins And Some Variants
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/12/2019  11:22 am
Okay, good to know. I'll be a bit more discriminating in which coins I pick up in the future. I saw script above the bulls hump and thought that it might be enough to identity. I assume that given the unattributable nature of the coin it greatly reduces its value?

Dai Nippon - Finn's Japanese Type Set, 1636 To Date
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/11/2019  11:15 pm
I missed this thread earlier. Was not aware of the Bita-sens, will have to look into this more.

Coins Of India - Bull And Horseman Coins And Some Variants
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/11/2019  10:11 pm
I have a coin that is (heavily cleaned) debased silver that seems to have some of the markers for a bull and horseman coin, a variety 1 coin according to the first post.

A few of the designs of the bull look similar to the coins posted in this thread, but to me the script seems to be different.

Any thoughts?

Which Morgan Is Better
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/11/2019  6:23 pm
I don't like the eye appeal on either on. The MS63 looks like it has more surface marks on the fields. The MS62 has some marks on the face, and some particularly distracting marks on the cheeks. I would wait if it was me. But eye appeal is subjective.
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coin Grading

Help! Buying A Collection!
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/04/2019  5:15 pm
Looks more like a hoard than a collection. Not saying I wouldn't want to go through it myself, but it mostly looks like things were purchased for silver value.
Forum: US Modern Coins

New Member Need Help With Dug Hammered Coins Or Tokens?
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/30/2019  11:03 am
While I find it very odd that you found them in the U.S., I have in my possession several medieval Islamic debased silver coins that were minted in Baghdad and were found by a metal detectorist. Not sure if a relatives coin collection got tossed after they passed away, or some immigrants hid them for safe keeping and forgot about them, or what else....

So while odd I have heard of it happening before. Finding them in a bottle dump at least rules out pre-Columbian contact. :-)

(Before someone points out the date would be post-Columbian I was making a joke with the Maine penny in mind.)

Ancient Kashmir Coinage
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/26/2019  11:38 am
Paul, I would find it helpful. I have a huge interest in Indian coins but am hampered by the lack on information available in English. I have two of these coins, one I have tentatively identified as being "Didda Rani." I would like to know what I am looking for to expand out my collection. I find the red marks on the coins identifying what you should be looking at very helpful.

Vietnamese Cash Coin
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/25/2019  10:06 pm
After looking at things I am inclined to agree with you. In Cast Chinese Coins by David Hartill, page 144. 16.307, Spread foot bao. FD991, S586.

Vietnamese Cash Coin
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/25/2019  8:48 pm

Diameter: 24 mm
Weight: 3.45 g

Does not stick to a magnet.

I can't figure out what this coin is.

I have some indication it might be: "Thieu Thanh Nguyen Bao". But the writing doesn't look right. I've seem similar style coins termed "running script," or "running style."

Can someone toss me a life line?

Ancient Kashmir Coinage
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/24/2019  11:48 pm
This is very useful. Thank you for taking the time to compile this information.

Identification On Possible Iranian Copper Coin
allranger
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/20/2019  5:31 pm

Quote:
Yes, Iranian civic coinage. I would assume the dates are actual but minting may have been as-needed, not on a strictly annual basis. To my knowledge, this area has not been well studied and there is no concise reference available. Album lists more than 70 mints for this period and notes that some of the more prolific mints such as Khuy may have struck as many as 100 different types. The Ashmolean (SICA-9, 718) has an example just like the Zeno coin but clearly dated 1282. On the Zeno example, only "12" is clear and the collector lists the date as 12[82], citing as a reference Kutelia Tinatin, Catalogue of the Iranian copper coins: in the State Museum of Georgia, Tbilisi, 1990, no. 352.

I would catalogue it as follows: Iranian Civic Copper, Khuy, AE falus, date missing (c. mid-19th century). O: Lion left wielding sword, sun behind, all within wreath. R: Within beaded circle, duriba / falus / Khuy. Cf. SICA-9, 718 (dated 1282) and Zeno 162427 (partial date 12xx); Album 3243.

It is crazy to me to think that even in this day and age when we can instantaneously communicate back and forth that we would be lacking in reference materials, or that there would be people who are not studying an area.

I had not thought of referencing the Zeno number for coins before. Thank you.

Do you have an account on Zeno? I have tried to sign up for a number of years. Is the site still active.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: