Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

SmallEagle's Last 20 Posts

"Box Of 20" Discussion
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/30/2015  7:45 pm
The "Box of 20" concept is a mentality, not a rigid number, which encourages buying quality over quantity. At one point, I had more than 500 coins, but realized I wasn't attached or enthralled by the vast majority of them.

I sold off all but three and used the funds to make a major shift into ancient coinage, now following the "Box of 20" mentality (although I will likely end up with 100+ coins when my collection is "complete").
Forum: Main Coin Forum

Set Building: Grab What's Available Or Hold Out For Quality?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/02/2015  06:32 am
Door #2

A New Numismatic Research Website Is Coming Soon...
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/16/2014  02:08 am
This seems to be a common occurrence, selling off part of a collection to fund an online library/resource. It's a great idea but I hope they are getting what they're paying for, as web development is not immune to artificially escalated prices.

What Is Your Favorite Coin Quote?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/15/2014  11:18 am
Written by Dio Cassius, it's one of the only times a precise coin type is depicted in antiquity:

"Brutus stamped upon the coins which were being minted his own likeness and a cap and two daggers, indicating by this and by the inscription that he and Cassius had liberated the fatherland"

How Many Sets Are You Working On Right Now?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/15/2014  11:16 am
One, but it encompasses 1,000 years of coinage.

Has Coin Collecting Led You To Other Hobbies Or Interests?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/07/2014  3:08 pm
After years of claiming how disinterested I was in history, coin collecting has turned this around completely. Evidently I was just disinterested in the manner in which history was taught, not the content itself.

Which Coin Is The "Centerpiece" Of Your Collection?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/07/2014  3:00 pm
Mine is my Brutus "Eid Mar" denarius, which was minted by Brutus to commemorate his assassination of Julius Caesar in on the Ides of March (March 15) 44 BC. It has been consistently voted the #1 ancient coin and the amount of history built up in it makes that a very understandable designation.

For more information, see my website here: http://www.colosseocollection.com/p444364358

Where To Buy Coins For Bitcoin
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/05/2014  04:15 am
HJB accepts Bitcoin: http://www.coinweek.com/people-in-t...ins-payment/

Tips For Successful Rare Coin Investing.
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/03/2014  10:56 pm
Supply and demand. Many coins are known by few examples but aren't in demand and therefore aren't as expensive as other coins known by many examples in greater demand. This happens in ancient coins fairly regularly: it doesn't cost much to own a unique coin, but it may be unique by some set of attributes that others don't deem significant enough to pay a premium.

Here are two examples from my collection. This coin is not terribly expensive (mid-four-figures) from a city-state in ancient Greece which isn't well known. It is the finest of only four known, from the first pair of dies used (minted ca 200 BC and truly prooflike in condition).

This coin is one of about 80 known, rare but not terribly so, but very historically interesting (many consider it the #1 ancient coin: it was minted by Brutus to commemorate his assassination of Julius Caesar, on the "EIDibus MARtiis" - Ides of March - 44 BC). It costs well into the six-figures because there are many more than 80 people who want one and can afford the price tag:

My approach is to find historical coins in broad demand in solid condition. They don't have to be the finest known but should be attractive, aesthetically pleasing, and of a high enough grade to not need to upgrade to enjoy the coin.

Post A Boring Or Uninspired Coin
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/04/2014  10:29 pm
Minted around 650 BC, the earliest coins could certainly be considered boring from an aesthetic perspective. The obverse was nothing more than striated lines, representing the flowing water of the rivers in which electrum, the metal used to make the coins, was found.

The iconography of ancient coins progressed very quickly but these types marked the start of what eventually became the diversity and detail of modern coinage:

Forum: "Post Your..." Gallery Topics

Most Expensive Coin You Own Is...?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/24/2014  12:24 am
Paul Bulgerin - without being a killjoy, I'd be quite concerned about the authenticity of that piece. As bad as some coin photography is, a seller would certainly provide better images for a Restoration denarius and not take a picture of a coin with their finger behind it! It's hard to tell exactly but from the poor images, the style, type, and legends are unlike any Trajan Restoration denarius I've handled and scream modern to me.

I'd suggest taking better images of it and posting them to get some second opinions.

Most Expensive Coin You Own Is...?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/23/2014  12:06 am
My recently acquired centerpiece:

Runner up:

Pawn Stars
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/22/2014  01:51 am
It sold in 2008 for $5100, and $2600 in 2006. $8500 is a strong price but it is a very rare variety, although the porosity/marks are distracting in my eyes.

$65,000 For A Coin? Whats The Most Expensive You've Seen?
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/09/2014  2:32 pm
The most expensive I've held is the $10M 1794 $1 and the most expensive I've purchased personally is $260K.

Post Your Coins Depicting Sailing Ships
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/30/2014  9:52 pm
Just picked mine up today. It's one of the most sought-after ancient coins and I'm delighted to finally own one after waiting for years to find the right example:

Nero augustus, 54 " 68
Sestertius circa 64, Æ 22.85 g. NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P Laureate head r., with aegis. Rev. AVG " VST Bird's eye view of Ostia's harbour. At the top, pharos surmounted by statue of Neptune, holding sceptre; at bottom, reclining figure of Tiber l., holding rudder and dolphin; below, PORT OST. To l. crescent shaped pier with portico. To r., crescent-shaped row of breakwaters. In the centre, seven ships. In upper field, S " C. C 37. BMC 134. RIC 181. CBN ". Very rare. A very attractive specimen of this celebrated issue, well-centred on a very broad flan and complete. A bold portrait and a finely detailed reverse, attractive dark green patina and extremely fine

As an inland city of more than one million people during the reign of Nero, Rome relied heavily upon its Tyrrhenian Sea port at Ostia. Antioch, the great metropolis in Syria, was similarly positioned, as it was about the same distance (c. 15 miles) from its Mediterranean port at Seleucia. Though essential to major inland cities, ports and harbours were perhaps the most challenging of all engineering projects, and they were very costly to build and to maintain. It comes as no surprise that when great ports were completed, it was cause for celebration.

To Romans, such occasions not only affirmed their international renown as engineers, but also represented a new opportunity to reap benefits in transportation, trade, grain supplies and military applications. The construction of a port at Ostia had been considered by both Julius Caesar and Augustus, but the projected expenses were so daunting that it was not until Claudius came to power that construction began; finally, it was finished during the reign of his adoptive son Nero.

Self Publishing Authors
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/28/2014  11:56 pm
Amazon CreateSpace is a fantastic platform for this - you can have eBooks and physical copies with minimal upfront cost (~$99) and no limitations/expectations on how many copies need to be sold as Amazon prints on demand.

Post Your Coins Depicting Sailing Ships
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/28/2014  5:10 pm
I have a new big purchase (an ancient coin) which perfectly fits this topic, but I have a policy of not posting anything until I have the coin in hand. I'll follow up once I receive it :)

Having Internal Conflict Here-Coin Stolen By Trusted Friend
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/26/2014  10:04 am
I'm very doubtful that he took it. I don't think anyone has the gall to steal something dear to you and then show it to you as theirs. Could you have misplaced it? Is it on the floor somewhere, under a book, under the bed? It's non-sentimental value is $2, not worth losing a friendship over, and his behavior doesn't sound like he is being malicious. I would search everywhere possible first, and see if any family members could have taken or spent it.

Show Us The Gold!
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/12/2014  01:12 am
One of my newer gold ancients - this coin, minted in 322 BC, is known to be the finest depiction of Alexander the Great on a coin:

We Are #3 On The List! Collectibles Soaring...
SmallEagle
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/05/2014  1:57 pm
Maybe they're referring to the price of a normal stamp. $0.49 now? Sheesh...

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: