Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

jfransch's Last 20 Posts

2022 Holiday Exchange
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/30/2022  1:35 pm
Received my package back before Christmas but waited till the 25th to open it. Just now back home with access to my computer so I am posting pictures. Very nice Christmas 2022 Silver round and 4 nice coins. Thank you Santa!
Forum: Main Coin Forum

Finally Got Around To Imaging - 1786 2 Escudos - Mexico City Mint
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/18/2022  4:25 pm
I believe that is the Madrid Mint Mark, not Mexico City
Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

2022 Holiday Exchange
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/16/2022  3:53 pm
A package from an unknown to me sender arrived yesterday. I am guessing it is from my secret Santa. I am debating if I should open now or wait 9 days till Christmas proper.
On a side note, I delivered my outgoing package to one of Santa's elves who was masquerading as a USPS worker. It is on its way.

Filling One Hole At A Time.
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/11/2022  1:43 pm
I would suggest you go for the key dates and scarcer coins first. They will be most likely to be more expensive at a later date. You can always go back and infill with the common coins. Great project and please keep us up to date as you make progress
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coins

Help With Identifying Coins Authenticity And Value Please (Id: 8 Reales, 1811, Zacatecas Mint Mark)
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/18/2022  6:32 pm
Could be legit. Really need some clearer more detailed photos.

Help With Identifying Coins Authenticity And Value Please (Id: 8 Reales, 1811, Zacatecas Mint Mark)
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/18/2022  3:50 pm
Zacatecas early coins from the War of Independence period are fascinating coins to collect. Some of the 8 reales are so poorly struck that you are lucky to be able to identify the coin at all and you really have to "adjust" your acceptable condition thresholds.

jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/18/2022  1:15 pm
I agree that the coin looks cast in the photos. We still need to know the size and weight.
I was unaware that the 1 real showed the denomination, the 1/2 real does not.

jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/17/2022  6:29 pm
Could you also please try and post much more detailed close up pictures? Your coin (if real) is an insurgent issue with the cross on the front mountain and Castles and Pomegranates on the shield side instead of the Castles and Lions on the Royalist issues. It is not an 8 reales, does not have the 8R designation between "Gratia" and the date. Could be a minor, there were 1/2 real, 1 real and 2 reales made as well as 8 reales. The 2 and the 8 have the numeric designation, the smaller ones are identified by weight so we need size and weight. Zacatecas LVO coins tend to be overweight and are of a very high silver content. The Insurgents (War of Independence) took Zacatecas in October 1810 and held the city through May 1811. They confiscated large amounts of silver from the local mines and city coffers. They needed it in coin form so they could pay the troops so they set up a rudimentary mint and made these coins. When Zacatecas was taken back by the Royalists in May 1811, the dies were altered and LVO coinage continued for a short time until new dies could be created that mimicked the current production coming out of Mexico City. Most early Zacatecas coinage is known to be crude, attesting to the problems getting a quality mint up and running in war time.

How Dangerous Are Gmm's As Counterfeits?
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/15/2022  5:15 pm
Calling NTC a "genuine" TPG is being really generous of you. GMM copies have turned up off and on on ebay in very worn condition (enough to get rid of the COPY stamp) for years now. One has to be very careful in looking at low grade examples of any early coins that GMM made copies of.

2022 Holiday Exchange
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/28/2022  7:13 pm
I'm in, always a fun event.

Large Cent Type Set (Question, And Progress So Far)
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/23/2022  2:58 pm
I have always liked the 1818 with the full circle die crack, what a great coin.

1737 Mexico 8 Reales. A Contemporary Counterfeit?
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/21/2022  9:13 pm
Ha!
Didn't see the date of the original post.

1737 Mexico 8 Reales. A Contemporary Counterfeit?
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/21/2022  11:46 am
Just a quick note
As pointed out by Hijan above, it is common in pre 1763 Pillar dollars from Mexico for the edge design to reverse at the overlap points. The source for that info is "The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America" by Frank Gilboy, one of the best reference books out there though hard to find today due to its limited printing of only 500 copies. This information is also found in the Brad Yonaka book "A Variety Guide to the Silver and Copper Coinage of the Mexico City Mint 1732-1771 (pages 35-36)
As for real/fake, coin could be real with extreme environmental damage (sea salvage or land burial) or a counterfeit to fool collectors, hard to tell from a photo. Take it to a jewelry store and see if they will XRF it for free with one of their machines. No trace gold would be the determining factor.
Either way, it is an ugly example and I would follow Swamper Bob's advice and return it and hold out for a nicer example.

What 8 Reales Was Most Typically Used In The Colonies?
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/18/2022  5:00 pm
Spanish dollars were made legal tender in the United States by an Act of February 9, 1793, and were not demonetized until February 21, 1857. Testaments to the importance of these coins continue in that "two bits," "pieces of eight" and "picayune" have become part of the American vocabulary. Also, it is interesting to observe that when the New York Stock Exchange opened in 1792 rates were reported in terms of New York shillings which were valued at eight to the Spanish milled dollar, hence changes were reported in eighths. Amazingly, over two hundred years after adoption of the decimal system, stock and security price variations are still reported in eighths!

From the February 9, 1793 Act (sourced to the History of The US Mint Website) :
"the gold coins of France, Spain and the dominions of Spain, of their present standard, at the rate of one hundred cents for every twenty-seven grains and two-fifths of a grain, of the actual weight thereof. Spanish milled dollars, at the rate of one hundred cents for each dollar, the actual weight whereof shall not be less than seventeen pennyweights and seven grains; and in proportion for the parts of a dollar."

Some CC Dollar Monkey Business
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/14/2022  1:00 pm
Note that both dates have the same "nick" in the rim by the middle of the "U" in United on the reverse. Most likely a flaw in the "die" used to make the fakes. 2 different year CC dollars unlikely to have the same post strike flaw so looks they were both struck from the same fake die.

I Did It! My Unique Indian Head Cent Set (Warning - Looong Read)
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/11/2022  4:37 pm
WOW
Just WOW. What an amazing set. Thank you so much for sharing with us. The obvious outcome of a true passion for Numismatics.

A Really Good Fake 1795 Quarter Is Hard To Find
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/31/2022  12:40 pm
I see he has now relisted it so we can all fight over it a second time, since we all forgot to bid the first time around.

1891 Mexico 8 Reale Ho F.g. Thoughts And Opinions Please
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/22/2022  4:33 pm
High detail pictures of the edge pattern please?

A Pair Of Old Coppers From Today's Coin Show
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 07/29/2022  7:40 pm
Seriously nice coins! Great upgrades.

1863 Civil War Token- Anyone Have An Idea As To The Material/Rarity Of This One?
jfransch
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
Old Post Posted 07/24/2022  8:56 pm
Your Civil War token is known as MI 960-B, variety 2a
It has an R-4 rarity listing meaning 250-500 examples known.
I have no idea of value, I have not purchased an individual token in the last 30 years and do not track their value.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: