Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

robmck1967's Last 20 Posts

1964 1 Cent Indent Strike Question
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2023  12:57 pm

Quote:
Do you not find it odd, that the "brockage" design elements line up perfectly with what the design would be on a normally struck coin?

Yes! That is why I bought it. I couldn't see anything else that pointed to it being PMD. I like good mystery, don't you?

Would you like to examine it in hand?
Forum: Canadian Variety and Error Coins

1996 1 Cent With Die Clash Both Sides
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2023  12:39 pm
Very niceDenny and Castor. That is hard to miss!

Cracked The Roll / 2008 Clipped 1 Cent
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/23/2023  5:23 pm
Very nice roll find! Congrats!

2018 Canadian Toonie Inverted Security Edge Letter
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2023  1:29 pm
I agree with DBM and John100

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/22/2023  12:39 pm
SPP...If you would like to see the coin in hand, I would happily mail it to you for examination. You have my email address.

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/21/2023  10:49 pm

Mike Diamond's comment:

This is a very small, aligned partial brockage. In other words, the brockage is aligned with the die-struck details on the opposite face. Such brockages can be produced by an elliptical clip error, elliptical strike clip, or off-center (partial) die cap. The absence of horizontal lipping lowers the odds that it's from a die cap. The absence of an impression of a rounded shoulder reduces the odds that it's from an elliptical strike clip. Therefore, the most probable explanation is that it was generated by a small, elliptical piece of coin metal (probably an elliptical clip planchet) that settled against the striking chamber. After it was struck, this small elliptical demi-coin stuck to the hammer (reverse) die and was struck into the planchet represented by your coin.

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/21/2023  8:35 pm
I have this posted on another site and Mike Diamond confirmed that it is an aligned partial brockage!

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  10:03 pm
SPP...It seems round...here are some new pics.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far!

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/18/2023  5:03 pm

Here are the 3 possible types of aligned partial brockages according to error-ref. Number one is most common and most likely due to the rim fim that is present.

1. Brockage from an off-center (partial) die cap. This is the most common cause. A planchet is fed into the striking chamber in an off-center position. It is struck by the dies on both faces and then sticks to one of the dies (usually the upper or hammer die). Another planchet is fed into the striking chamber and the partial die cap is struck into it. The result is an incuse, mirror-image version of the design that is aligned with the die-struck design on the opposite face. These types of aligned partial brockages generally lack an impression of the design rim. When struck in-collar, metal often flows over the top of the collar to form a horizontal lip

2. Brockage from an elliptical clip coin. An oval planchet (an elliptical clip) enters the striking chamber and settles against the collar. It is struck by the dies on both faces and then sticks to one of the dies (again, usually the hammer die). Another planchet is fed into the striking chamber and the elliptical coin is struck into it. Once again you end up with an incuse mirror-image version of the design that is aligned with the die-struck design on the opposite face. This type of aligned partial brockage will usually show an impression of the design rim and will lack horizontal lipping.

3. Brockage from an elliptical strike clip. A planchet is fed into the striking chamber in an off-center position. During the strike it is sheared in two between the hammer die and a collar that is frozen in the "up" position. The oval remnant of the coin within the striking chamber then sticks to one of the dies (usually the hammer die) and is struck into the next planchet. This type of aligned partial brockage may show an abnormally broad "rim" impression, which actually represents an impression of the rounded shoulder that often forms on the face struck by the anvil die. Horizontal lipping is generally absent.

1c 1959 Very Odd Die Clash
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  8:09 pm
I was doing a little reading and found this:

http://www.maddieclashes.com/vertic...d-die-error/

Maybe this is a vertical misaligned die error?

2006 Grainy Lined 1 Cent Obverse And Reverse
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  5:28 pm
I have been saving the best of these that I have found. I even have a great one like yours in a mint set.

1952-2002 Toonie PMD?
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  3:07 pm
Lol. You're right! I didn't even look for the camel toe. I still think it is a flawed planchet, counterfeit or not!

1952-2002 Toonie PMD?
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  2:26 pm
Please post pics of both sides of the coin. This could be a flawed planchet as I don't see any displaced metal from a scrape or gouge and the letters seem to fade into the fissure, not scraped through.

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  1:30 pm
Thanks for all of your responses so far. Error collecting is certainly challenging, and you never stop learning. Lol.

I have several indent strikes, and they have similar features such as a rim fin, a warped edge, a flattened rim adjacent to the fin, crescent shaped indented area. The coin in question has these characteristics too, so a partial brockage came to mind.

What do you guys think about this?

Aligned partial brockages:
Definition: A partial brockage in which the incuse, mirror-image design elements line up with the corresponding die-struck design elements on the opposite face.

http://www.error-ref.com/brockages-...strike-clip/

Edit: spelling

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/15/2023  6:27 pm
Extra images

2 pics of the edge

A pic showing that the denticles are incused.

And anpic highlighting the rim fin on the obverse.

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/15/2023  2:26 pm
Hi Denny. I put this one out there because there is a rim fin on the obverse which likely wouldn't be there if it was pmd. But I can't wrap my head around this one so who knows! Thanks for the reply.

Edit: the denticles are incused too so not a hammer hit imho

robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/15/2023  12:54 pm
Hello all. I have this indent strike that I have a question about. The reverse indent has incluse denticles and the obverse has a rim fin. My question is how this could happen? I would think that the previously struck cent that created the indent would have the denticles going the opposite direction. I would love some opinions from the experts here. Thank you.

Split Planchets - Showcase And Discussion
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/12/2022  11:53 am
Definitely a split before strike. And with that possible incomplete clip

Nice coin again Mike!

1967 PL Quarter. Nice DDR And Odd Edge Error?
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/10/2022  12:20 pm
That is a rim clip with a small blakesley effect.

A Very Special Silver Dollar
robmck1967
Pillar of the Community
Canada
842 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  3:02 pm
What a great legacy coin for your collection. Beautiful. Congrats!
Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: