Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ainsivalavie's Last 20 Posts

Post Your Canadian Tokens
ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/23/2022  9:42 pm

Quote:
Blargish: Those are very useful threads ainsivalavie. Do you have a census for the Wood 24 token? I have thus far been able to trace ~25 separate examples in my database with individual photographs. (I have not been able to further trace the 3 that appear in the 1987 Warren Baker Sale since my digitized copy has poor photo quality.)

@Blargish:
Since I didn't do any specific research for the Wood 24, I only have 20 examples in my archives. So your work seems to be more extensive than mine.

Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/05/2022  7:24 pm

Quote:
In the same kind, for those who are interested, I had produced a few months ago on the NumiCanada forum (Unfortunately only in French), some census with photos & pedigrees of known specimens for several rare tokens & coins.

Among them:
... ... ... ...

I'd forgotten about this one:
- Mule NF-4 (Variation Breton #955) - 5 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35444

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/05/2022  10:35 am

Quote:
This is amazing information. Have you published anywhere else?

@NumisCat: Thanks.
Eventually, it was planned for certain varieties, but I have too many projects in writting progress, so I ran out of time (and I was also waiting to get more feedback and do more research).

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/04/2022  2:13 pm

Quote:
And thanks to Ainsivalavie for that roster.

In the same kind, for those who are interested, I had produced a few months ago on the NumiCanada forum (Unfortunately only in French), some census with photos & pedigrees of known specimens for several rare tokens & coins.

Among them:

- LC-18 (Breton #564) - 17 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35297

- LC-11C (Breton #525) - 14 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35306

- MT-4 (Breton #567) - 14 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35308

- BL-51 (Haxby-Willey #268) - 9 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35329

- Breton #501 (15 Sols 1670A) - 18 specimens (To date):
https://numicanada.com/forum/viewto...f=13&t=35468

etc.

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/03/2022  11:02 pm

Quote:
Put this one on layaway. An extremely rare Blacksmith, BL-44. This example is only the 6th one I have been able to identify. There are 2 in the Bank of Canada collection and 3 others with recent sales (2 Heritage and 1 CNG) all graded F or F detail. I grade this one VG for the issue. If anyone has info on others, please let me know.

@1960NYGiants:
Great find!
The token that you present is the 7th of which I am aware. Here are the 4 others in private hands that are in my image bank (Which is starting to be relatively elaborate with nearly 13 000 tokens listed and many thousands of pedigrees).

Note: You described the CNG and Heritage Auctions BL-44 as two separate tokens, when in fact they are one (See Example #2 below).

#1 - ICCS - F-12 Cleaned

#2 - NGC - F-12 Scratches - Ex. RH Collection, Donald G. Partrick & Warren Baker

#3 - NGC - F-12 - Ex. Donald G. Partrick, Warren Baker & Richard W. Williams

#4 - PCGS - VF-20 - Ex. TCNC Sale 2020-02 & Q. David Bowers

Silver(?) Variety Of The Nova Scotia Broke Token Ns-7A
ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/19/2022  12:47 pm
@blargish: Did you take the weight of your token? Because normally if it is silver, it should have a higher density than copper, so you could always do a density test.

But it won't necessarily be a categorical answer, since it depends on the accuracy of the test and also the silver content.

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/14/2022  11:39 am

Quote:
Wade: She's got some mileage, but the cud makes up for it.

I am sure Wade that with a little more time you will be able to find something better. Because the reverse die of the Courteau #238 variety with the cud at the letter «bAnk» seems from my research to date to have hit a good number of tokens before finally being changed.

Some of the ones I've seen among several offered for sale in recent years:

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/11/2022  12:01 pm

Quote:
Wade: Just got this one back from CCCS,

honestly I was a little disappointed that it came back as only MS60

It is certainly a beautiful token.

I too have acquired not too long ago one more from this issue (Variety Courteau #141):

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/12/2022  09:52 am

Quote:
Fourmack: Thanks will have to wait for it to arrive before I know.

If I had to guess, I would say that it is the variety Courteau #081 (Group #1), or Charlton PC-5B2 (Heaton Mint).

Here is the description from the second edition of my book on this subject:

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/11/2022  9:18 pm

Quote:
Fourmack: My latest purchase
but not sure if its group 1 or 2 as I know its not group 3 due the foot of A.
has nice embossing

Medal alignment (Group #2) or coin alignment (Group #1)?

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/14/2021  9:15 pm

Quote:
@blargish - thanks for the links. It appears my piece and the Patrick piece are of similar or same maker. I am fortunate that the dealer I bought mine from was not aware of the Patrick piece. I paid $35 USD for it.

@1960NYGiants:
Wow, at $35 you got one heck of a deal. I've known about this token for quite some time, and this one is quite rare and highly sought after.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge it has never been identified to date. However, some make a connection with the St. Amant/Canida token (See «A Hoard of Canadian Coppers» by McLachlan in the Canadian Antiquarian and Numismatic Journal of July 1889).

Here is an example that was present in the collection of Warren Baker:

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/01/2021  11:07 am

Quote:
Wade: well here's something you don't see everyday...

raviloli / dumplimg crimper on ebay

I don't own it, but last year there was a similar item for sale on eBay that I found quite unusual (Bank of Upper Canada 1/2 Penny 1854).

My Anticosti Island Token: After 150 Years, Are We Still Totally Clueless?
ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/23/2021  09:51 am

Quote:
It seems I didn't check far enough back in time. Since in the Charlton 1978, the #250 is a Sou Bouquet. After further checking, I just saw that it has the reference #299 in this edition.

Here is the scan in question with layout:

We notice that no value is indicated for grades lower than EF in this edition.

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/22/2021  01:15 am

Quote:
As a check on that June 2020 Stacks/Bowers sale, I dug through a few boxes in my attic and came up with a 1962 Charlton, where the Anticosti Island token does indeed appear on page 59 as #250, under the heading "Miscellaneous Tokens." There's a pretty useless black-and-white photo -- because it's actual size -- and no attribution or descriptive information. Pasted in here are the headers and the single line of type devoted to this piece,

It seems I didn't check far enough back in time. Since in the Charlton 1978, the #250 is a Sou Bouquet. After further checking, I just saw that it has the reference #299 in this edition.

But you are right, because I just checked for example the Charlton 1970, Charlton 1975, and even the Charlton 1977, and it is indeed this token at #250.

Sorry for the confusion. I never noticed that the reference #'s had changed in 1978 for the last regular edition of the Charlton containing the colonial and post-confederation tokens (I think?). I continue to learn everyday...

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/21/2021  11:24 am

Quote:
Daltonista: It pops up in online searches with a citation to a June 2020 Stacks/Bowers sale, where it was listed as "CH-250." Can one of our fellow CCF members out there fill the rest of us in on what Charlton has to say about it, if anything?

According to some, there are clues pointing to a Honduras origin (Minted by the Paris Mint). But personally, I've never been convinced.

And to answer Daltonista, I don't know what the reference is, but it's not from the Charlton catalogs. From memory, I don't think it is listed in any Charlton catalog.

And on the CoinsandCanada website, there is a mistake. Since the specifications given are those of the MT-4 token (Breton #567).

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/17/2021  7:14 pm

Quote:
I'm confident we'd be covered by the Fair Use Doctrine built into U.S. copyright law, which permits incidental, not-for-profit reproduction "...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research..."

ainsivalavie, if you're uncomfortable scanning it, can you tell us by paraphrase -- perhaps in a sentence or two -- what Willey had to say about this token? I didnl't find it listed at all in any of my old Haxby-Willey catalogs (most recent: 1986), or in my 1970 Somer James "Guidebook."

@Daltonista:
Here is the quote in question:

«The Canadian Numismatic Journal - Vol. 24 - No. 11 - Colonial Coinages of Canada - Part VIII» by Robert C. Willey (1979):

I have a few other books in my library that also mention this token. If I have time, I will try to post a scan of these.

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/17/2021  12:20 pm

Quote:
Daltonista: Please share your photos here if you've got one of these elusive tokens, and also any old catalog listings for it that I may have overlooked!

Great summary you made Daltonista.

I did not notice the mention of Pierre Napoleon Breton in his book of 1894 «Illustrated History of Coins and Tokens relating to Canada»:

To my knowledge, this token is not mentioned by Leroux. On the other hand, Willey also gives a description of this token in the CNJ (but it is still under copyright for a scan... This is also the case for some other).

1852 Bank Of Upper Canada Half Penny Token - Doubling
ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/15/2021  07:30 am

Quote:
Co # 082 R1, possibly Co # 083 R9.

Hopefully @ainsivalavie can confirm.

Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy in recent months.

So, this is the Courteau #082 variety. The easiest way to confirm this is that there are a few die cracks on the obverse, whereas the obverse of Courteau #083 does not have any according to Courteau.

However, I would like to make a clarification here. I have never been able to observe the Courteau #083 variety to date. And to tell the truth, I don't know anyone who has been able to find this variety either. So if anyone thinks they have this one, please post pictures, there are many of us who are interested in seeing what this one looks like.
Forum: Canadian Coin Grading

Shows US Those Overgraded Slabs From Major Companies
ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/21/2021  2:15 pm
To date, I have accumulated over a period of many years nearly 8000 colonial tokens graded by a TPG in photos.

Thus, I am well positioned to make comparisons between grades for a given variety.

One thing I noticed quite quickly about NGC is their inexperience in grading colonial tokens that have circulated in Canada (Not to mention the staggering number of variety misidentifications). Thus, the only time I can give any importance to their grading is mainly limited to uncirculated or even AU+ tokens.

Forum: Canadian Coin Grading

ainsivalavie
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/20/2021  7:56 pm

Quote:
Mrwhatisit: Also, ainsivalavie, if you need to for your token book about these, you can gladly use my pics of this token if you want to, I don't mind at all...

I don't think it's going to be necessary, but I'll keep your offer in mind anyway. Thank you.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: