Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

AndrewDS's Last 20 Posts

Somalia Elephant Silver And Gold Coins Anyone?
AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/14/2016  9:16 pm
I'm not counting on silver spiking (this year, anyway), although some articles show that silver mining is down so far this year (except Mexico, where they are increasing dramatically silver mining).
But Russia is buying millions of ounces of gold; apparently using their shrinking sales of oil and gas to stock up on the precious metal. So I expect gold prices to go up this year an appreciable amount, with Russia stockpiling it in their reserves.
It would be nice if would we be insulated from factors other than just gold and silver mining, but politics always screw things up.

Yup, I've noticed that we both like Somalis, but we have completely opposite tastes as to which ones to buy. At least we are not in direct competition with each other for the same Somalis!

Andrew
Forum: Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/12/2016  10:20 pm
Yup,

I must have missed your commment amongst the 25 pages of posting.. sorry

WRT the 1oz proof Somali gold, you should send an email or letter to them asking for them to produce it as a single issue. They already do a 1oz as part of the Proof fractional set, so shouldn't be any more trouble to stamp a few more, I imagine. You'd be surprised what happens to a company if you make a suggestion. They are probably sitting down trying to figure out what to mint that will sell; so you might be doing them a favor in their decision-making! Power to the [numismatic] people...

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/12/2016  9:23 pm
Yup,

Making such small coins (1/2 gram) almost seems like a challenge for the minters: Can we actually make coins that small that have a high degree of quality? So I wonder if some Germans during Ocktoberfest were drinking (excessively) and decided to challenge themselves. The smallest slabs I have are 13mm; the 1/2 gram is only 11mm.

I did note that the Somali Silver Proof fractional set came out this month, the Gold Proof set in May. At least we have a schedule for some of the Somalis. But I'm still hoping for a 2016 1 oz BU Silver monkey privy seal Somali (vice the Berlin privy).

Am relived that the coins are legal tender; know it wasn't a concern to you. To each his/her own.

And what is about coins being primariy a guy thing? At least percentage-wise. Never really thought about it until today.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/12/2016  11:38 am
Some background on the Somali Elephant I discovered from 'Emporium Hamburg':

http://www.emporium-hamburg.com/ind...1&sword_list[0]=somali

Some great info on the Somalis and you can save their links as PDF (great for your records). Does appear the Somali govt does sanction the coins..

However, I do not see the 1/25 or 1/50 oz or 1/2 gram gold Somalis listed.

Nice PDF of all the past Silver BU elephant coins (2004-2016) : http://www.emporium-hamburg.com/fil...e_Issues.pdf

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/10/2016  8:57 pm
Montana,

If you buy a coin and it has milk spots (I've had a few), a reputable coin dealer will almost always offer to replace it. So don't be timid about going back to the seller.

So it appears that APMEX has almost cornered the market on the Somalia Elephant Fractional proof 4-coin sets. I see the Silver 2016 set for sale from them (mintage 2000 sets). They have the Gold Proof listed, but as 'out of stock', which makes sense since they only did a tiny 300 sets.

But they also have the 1 oz Gold PF-69 2016.

And APMEX also has the 1/25 oz gold BU AND the 1/2 gram gold BU. First time I've seen the Somali in grams vice oz. But the 1/2 gram is only 11mm in diameter. I may have to get new glasses or a really good magnifier just to even look at the details.

New 2015 Somali Elephant Silver Bullion Coin
AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/03/2016  4:55 pm
Webekin

I'd recommend a capsule, since it is only a bullion coin. Cheaper, takes up less space, and you can see all sides of the coins. Just make sure the capsule is the kind where the two pieces fit tightly together. Some capsules on the market can easily separate and then you've got a lost piece or something that mars the coin. This tight fit is especially important if it is something you are going to keep around and handle. Me? All mine are in my safe deposit box.

New 2015 Somali Elephant Silver Bullion Coin
AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/03/2016  09:16 am
Webekin,

The Somali Elephant 1oz silver coin is 39mm in diameter. The recent mintages are quite shiny, sometimes almost looking proof-like, so cover them up!

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/19/2016  7:17 pm
Yup,

Really haven't. I don't like eBay and like auctions even less so. Usually the pricing is driven by emotions, not common sense. I know you love your BU gold Somalias, but I really don't like any gold coin unless it is proof, preferably PF70 proof. If I'm gonna overpay, it has to be for a special coin, since the Gold-Silver-Ration GSR) is skewed out of whack: about 80:1 at present, I believe. So buying gold (vice silver) is a poor option, in my opinion, since the ratio of gold to silver in the crust (mining-wise) is about 18:1 or 20:0. So silver must be underpriced and gold is dramatically overpriced (probably some of both). But that is just me; buy what you like to have. Key thing is to do what makes you happy.

I do have several BU 2016 silver bullion Somalis and several 2016 MS70 ER silver Somalis. That is a pattern I follow for a number of US and world coins. And if the Proof is nice (some aren't), I'll buy the proofs, also.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/12/2016  3:32 pm
A while back, I mentioned the Somali Silver 1oz 'Privy' coins for 2012-2015, which had mintages between only 10K and 3K. Each privy is for the lunar year (Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat or Ram).

I've noticed a big price spike on the 'Privy' Somalis for 2012. The limited mintage coins for 2012 (first privy year) seem to have doubled in price. Initially, I think they were about 150% more than than the regular 1oz silver. Now they seem to be about 300% costlier.

But the 2015 Ram Privy pricing is all over the place to (not avaiable to only costing $35. Not much logic since they only struck 3K of these...

1776 Washington Before Boston
AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/12/2016  3:15 pm
Has anyone seen the 2015 Paris restrike of the 'Washington Before Boston' gold and silver 1 oz coins? Done using the original dies and much better done than most of the earlier restrikes. And first time I believe the coin has been restruck in gold since the one original in 1789-1790. Only 1790 gold and 5000 silver were struck by the Paris Mint and reached the US market in Dec 2015 to celebrate the 225th year of the original coin. Very little chatter about these coins. I've only seen one for sale: a silver coin on e-Bay.
Forum: US Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT) Including Grading, Varieties, and Errors

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/05/2016  1:33 pm
Yup,

Just ran across this article in the AgAu News:

in 2015, the Bavarian Mint apparently minted a 1/25 oz and 1/50 oz gold Somali. That sounds like something you should be looking for small size gold coins, but proof exclusively. But very low mintage (which appeals to me). And I do really like the 2015 elephant.

If you find any of these coins for sale, let ME know.

Be warned: the AgAu news has some really bizarre coins described.

http://agaunews.com/gold-somali-ele...ullion-coin/

A HIT ON the 2015 1/50 OZ Gold: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SOMALIA-GOLD...AOSw3xJVeQmY

-------------------
And a 2015 mint mistake I may or not have mentioned: http://www.thecoinvault.com/p-4387-...GC-ms69.aspx

So if you buy the silver, you also get a slight 'hint' of gold designation due to the mis-strike, because they used the gold reverse die to a silver blank, then restruck again using the correct silver reverse die.

--------------------------

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/04/2016  11:24 pm
Yup,

I have seen the Silver and Gold at APMEX, but I bought the 2013 Silver set from 'Majestic Coins LTD'. But I know a couple guys who are account reps for coin dealers, I will ask if they know where to find the Gold Somalia (other than APMEX). For some reason, they seem to like talking to me; far longer than is usual than just making sales.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/04/2016  8:30 pm
Yup,

You should really look into the Somali Gold Proof Set. Still ungraded, but they are encapsulated and quite a nice finish, far better than BU. Haven't seen the 2016 set, but then I like the 2015 elephant design better than most of the years I've seen.

Yes, it is a lot of money, but Proof sets are likely to escalate well about the spot price of gold. My opinion.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/19/2016  7:46 pm
I got an email from a rep of the Mayer mint in Germany. The Tanzania 'Big 5' coins were minted by a private customer, not the country. In fact, the Mayer mint doesn't strike coins for ANY country EVER. So those coins are not from Tanzania nor are they legal tender.

Why does that matter? Because the Somali coin obverses look a lot like Tanzania. So now I'm concerned that the Somalis might not be minted for Somalia. So I guess my next task is to contact the Bavarian Mint and ask them the same questions I asked the Mayer Mint. If so, I'm going to be very depressed if they give me the same info. Most of my collection of all silver coins from all countries was legal tender (or at least I will believe so until corrected..)

The thought of maybe having to refer to my Somalis as 'rounds' makes me a little depressed.

Will share what I learn, good or bad...

My acct rep. guy at GovMint.com says all this info is blowing his mind....

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/18/2016  4:53 pm
@yup7676

I used to be an computer systems engineer, so keeping time straight was always a big deal (e.g. some years have a leap day and others don't; some years have a leap second and others don't). So I'm drawn to the lunar year privy seals since they signify a specific year where changes in the calendar matter to an engineer. So, to the opposite of you, I don't see how a coin show warrants a privy. I'll probably never got to the Berlin, or FUN show, so it doesn't interest me. It is a just a coin event. So we have to disagree on 'who's privy is better or not?' To each his own.
WRT to the gold Somalias, I think the 1/10 ounces are always overpriced. And I agree the Somalis are going to be at a premium because of limited mintage (I'm guessing) From my thinking, if you buy a 1 oz gold coin, it ends up the same price as about (9) 1/10 ounce coins. Less gold bullion for the money. I tend to think of modern, ungraded BU as strictly bullion (unless graded MS70). I think I have just (1) 1/4oz BU AGE in my collection, and everything else is proof. and For silver, I will buy bullion coins just to have a few in my collection (can't beat the price, usually). But my preference is for MS70s or PF70s, depending on which coin is more attractive. For example, the Silver Britannia and Canadian proof coins aren't the same design as many BUs or the polishing just doesn't work forme. So the proofs are personally less attractive than the BUs), so I go for the highly graded bullions + a couple regular BUs just to add some volume.

So everyone has what they like (or don't), this is fine.

I'm just biding my time right now (no purchases), waiting for all the countries to release their Graded Proof coins, primarily silver, but small amounts of gold if the price is right.

But I still want a 2016 Somali with the lunar year monkey privy.

Question: Did you say the Berlin privy was limited to a strike of only 1K?

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/18/2016  12:30 am
*** Staff Edit: Stay on topic please. ***

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/17/2016  3:19 pm
Yup7676 (what does that handle mean, by the way?)

The only 2016 Somali elephant with a privy seal I've seen is the one with the Berlin mark (in a different place that the lunar year privy-marked Somalis). Frankly, I kinda hate any privy seal that is other than a lunar year privy (which appeals to me). I'd buy a 2016 if it had the monkey privy seal - in the correct location, of course. But Berlin?

I am considering whether or not to buy the 2016 Somali Elephant Proof Gold Coin set (2oz, 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz). I've got the Silver proof sets 2013-2015. Maybe time for a change. Expensive, but I like my gold coins to be proofs. BU, to me, is not an attractive finish. I suspect my decision will be made upon the spot mark for gold.

Historically, the ratio (and price) of gold-silver is about 18:1 to 20:1 (same ration as is in the earth's crust). But the ration is about 78:1 right now, and has been even worse this decade. Which tells me that gold is artifically overpriced.

The Berlin privy on the 2016 Somali reminds me of some of the weird Canadian coins I'm seeing come out recently: one with a Panda privy seal and another with a WWI 'Mark I' Tank privy seal. I just don't get that at all. I did make one exception: I ordered the 2016 Canada Reverse Proof MS-70 that has the 'e-mc2' privy. If you don't remember, it has 100 years since Einstein pubished his paper on General Relativity'. Made an exception for that privy seal and for the significance of Einstein's paper... plus, getting a MS-70 Maple Leaf is tough (because of the veining of the leaf); Reverse proof was also interesting.

Also, the Tanzania plot thickens. Got an email from the privately-run Mayer Mint in Germany. They informed me that the Serengeti [Tanzania] coins WERE INDEED minted by them, but for a private customer. He also said they do not mint coins for ANY COUNTRY, ever. Of course, it could be an Tanzanian official posing as a private citizen, but it seems to stink to high heaven from my perspective. I'm just speculating, but it could be an under-the-table deal to get the coins to enrich a person or person(s) with connections to the Tanzanian govt. The govt is incredibly corrupt; and I don't support anyone or any group that is self-serving and seems to operate in a completely dysfunctional order.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/17/2016  11:49 am
Not a concern (any confusion on my part).

GovMint.com and MCM target different types of users and get their exclusive deals separately for coins. They are in numismatic competition, but not really DIRECT competition.

GovtMint does the more usual and especially, pricier and rarer coins. Their 'Premier' coin catalogue, not something you can just find, has a lot of very expensive, rare coins than MCM. [/i] The most I have spend with them is $4500 for a single MODERN coin (Washington Before Boston Restrike in gold PF70[/i]. MCM doesn't seem to have anything near that price range in their inventory. So consider GovMint the BMW of coin dealers, whilst MCM is more of a VW or Ford of dealers. So my GovMint coins almost always end up in my safe deposit box!

I can't seem the oversight for both doing any merging in the short-term since each is more specialized. However, I do business with both almost the same # of times and $$ value.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/16/2016  3:12 pm
GovtMint.com and MCM are under the same business umbrella (Numismatics), but have little direct contact with each other. They are set up differently and have completely different staffs.

The Tanzanian coins are minted by Mayer, a private mint in Germany. The 'Big 5' series began in 2014 with the Lion, 2015 with the Elephant, and now 2016 with the Rhino. Very hypocritical of this country, given they 'honor' these animals through wholesale slaughter. 50% of Tanzanias elephant killed in just ten years. Actually, they are just looking to make money by selling the coins, in my opinion.

I've noticed that NGC seems to be doing all the grading, but in talking to them, their records don't include 'Tanzania' or 'Serengeti' as coins they've graded. As an NGA associate member, I've given them some information and have asked them to consider refusing any future Tanzanian coins for grading. They have the right to refuse submissions... Story still unfolding.

AndrewDS
United States
33 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/15/2016  5:00 pm
I should mention the out-of-control, government-bribed poaching taking place in Africa. Well, Tanzania is at the center of the Ivory and Rhino Horn poaching and U.S. trophy hunting by bribing govt officials. I'd recommend you avoid any coinage from Tanzania, all you're doing is subsidizing the corrupt govt. and its silent sanctioning of 'The Big 5' slaughter. See article below: https://www.change.org/p/enact-legi.../u/13702824.

'Tanzania has been the ground zero of elephant poaching in East Africa for the past several years, having lost 85,000 elephants between 2009 and 2014, according to a recent elephant census in the country. A slaughter of industrial proportion such as this cannot have happened without the involvement of high profile, corrupt individuals and government officials at the two ports of Dar-es-Salaam and Zanzibar, and elsewhere in civil society.'

I and others have talked to GovMint.com to remove these Tanzania coins from sale AND THEY DID SO VERY QUICKLY - with 24 hrs! I've also notified MCM about the same issue (waiting to here from them). I'm a big customer of MCM and have threatened to cross them off my list if they don't act soon.

Andrew

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: