Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

jeffbuckes's Last 20 Posts

Iceland Coins By The Bucket
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted Yesterday   09:12 am
Recently spent a few days in Reykjavik, Iceland. Great place to visit, but not much going on for coin collectors or banknotes either. Most people pay for everything with credit cards, only saw two cash transactions the whole time I was there, so didn't expect to find any dedicated coin dealers.

Went to the flea market one day and found several vendors selling coins, stamps, and some banknotes. One vendor had several binders filled with hundreds of pages of krónur and aura coins neatly sorted by denomination, just page after page of tiny coins. Also had a few world coins but nothing I needed. Still fun to flip!

I think Iceland discontinued its aura coins back in the 80s but banks accepted them till 2003 (I had to lok that up!) so those are very easy to find. In fact, one vendor had a tub of Icelandic coins for sale. Price was
1,000 kr for a cup full. That's about U$7 for a cup, which was more than I would pay but some kids were having a great time filling their cups that day.

Also saw another vendor selling mostly old postcards and FDC stamps, but he had a few Iceland mint sets celebrating the old krona (1944 - 1980).

Anyway, overall it was a fun visit, just didn't find anything I needed.

Here's a pic of the coin bucket:

Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

2022 Holiday Exchange
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/26/2023  5:03 pm
@marckdaniels -

That's a very nice coin set! Canada has great coin designs, and looks like you got some that are only available in the set.

I wonder whether you'll break open the package and put the coins in 2 x 2s?

(I can never bring myself to crack open any set, not ven common date mint sets)
Forum: Main Coin Forum

So I Am Thinking Armageddon - Often Referred To As Ww3 Is Going To Break Out Soon.
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/24/2023  2:11 pm
@jbuck -

WarGames

Nice pop culture reference!
Forum: Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

Is It Worthwhile To Hoard Copper Pennies?
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/23/2023  9:55 pm
As a byproduct of your existing hobby (coin roll hunting) saving copper makes perfect sense. It doesn't scale well, but in your case I say have fun!

Just be sure to read all the other similar threads in this forum before you decide to save copper at a bigger scale.
Forum: US Modern Coins

Reminder: CCF Has A Selling Section
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/23/2023  1:47 pm
Well folks, that was a lot of fun! I sold a bunch of silver here, had some good conversations with buyers and traders about coins. Met some really good people the last few weeks!

But now I'm taking a break from selling. I have family in town for a couple weeks, so no time for hobbies.

I'll be back soon, hopefully we can make some more deals.

Thanks to everybody who read and replied to my listings, and thanks to mods for keeping it all straight even when I was hitting the wrong button ten times in a row...!

Junk Silver Prices Thread - Report In Here
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/21/2023  10:30 pm
@AllSeasons

90% silver traded in that range for awhile last year. Spot was down to about $17 for a bit. But I'm in a selling mood these days so I'm happy with spot around $24. I sold a bunch of US 90% silver here in the forums including Barbers for around 17.5x a few weeks ago. Could have held out for more but I dont like to haggle.

PS: No such thing as "junk" silver to me! I love all silver...

jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  6:00 pm
@Allseasons -

I'm not in the habit of telling adults what to do. I made my case against hoarding copper. Now it's up to you. Hoard all the pennies you want. Good luck to ya.

Eye Candy Corner: Post Your Toned Coins!
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  1:28 pm
Going through my binders the last few weeks and coming across so many nice coins that I completely forgot about!

Here's a beautiful 1960 Venezuela 25 centimos in 0.835 silver (minted in Paris). Nice even color on this one!

Forum: "Post Your..." Gallery Topics

Post Your Tiny Coins!
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  12:55 pm
Here is a tiny coin - 1846 Peru 1/4 real weighs in at 0.84 grams and 12 mm diameter. Not much room for details and I love the simple design on this one.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces27992.html

jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  02:30 am
This question comes up a lot. To be blunt: don't bother.

If there were any money to be made hoarding pennies then CoinStar, Wells Fargo etc would beat you to it.

Think about it. The banking system controls the flow of coinage. They could easily pull all the copper cents fom circulation and store them in their warehouse till the time comes.

They already have the technology, the labor force, the warehouses, etc etc. If it made economic sense to anyone they would have done it by now and there'd be nothing left for you to hoard.

BTW: Peak copper? 10x 100x on copper? I don't want to live in a world where copper hits those highs. People would burn your house down with you in it just to steal your pipes afterward!

Toned Silver 1oz Round?
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  02:00 am
Sure does happen! In fact, this forum has a loooong thread for toned coins and bullion etc:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=53247

A recent example shows a nicely toned Silver Eagle.

Some of us love the toning, and to some collectors it adds value. Not everyone, but some...!

Eye Candy Corner: Post Your Toned Coins!
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/17/2023  10:48 pm
Another MONSTER tone coin. Again, I wish I had a better camera setup beyond my cellphone...

1972 Jamaica 10 dollar 0.925 sterling silver commemorative (10th year anniversary of independence).

Coin is HUGE, a whopping 49 grams and 1.46 ozt of actual silver weight and 42k minted.

I've seen blast white examples on ebay and they look great, but I'll stick with my rainbow here!

PS: NGC link about the coin:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...duid-1427360

jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/16/2023  11:35 pm
@Arkie -

Were the Barbers decent or slicks?

Slicks don't deserve a premium but anything G-4 and above usually carries a numismatic premium, which is no good for stackers, but makes sense to collectors.

Having Fun With A Big Lot Of Uncleaned Roman Bronze Coins
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/16/2023  7:38 pm
@Paul Bulgerin -

Any more updates from your restoration project? I have a similar bag of ancients and wondered if I should try cleaning them.

I got my bag of ancients as part of a massive haul of world coins, then I put the bag off to the side where it sat ever since.

I love identifying world coins, but ancients have always eluded my skill set, thus my question:

In your opinion, is it worth the effort to restore a big bag of ancients?

Are you getting good results overall or was there just a few pieces that came out ok?

Any more pics?
Forum: Ancient, Greek, Roman, and Medieval Coins

1796 Half Cent With No Pole At This Condition Can Be Worth Something?
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  10:23 pm
@CarrsCoins exhibiting an amazing knowledge of large cents with that ID.

I come here for the pretty pictures of great coins. As for ID'ing this coin... well, it's all Greek to me so I appreciate the expertise
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coins

Reminder: CCF Has A Selling Section
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  8:47 pm
Update: I just listed some silver quarters for sale. Got an offer within 6 minutes. Must be a record?

US 90% is so hot right now. Spot is sitting around $24... maybe someone knows something we don't know?

I only got one offer for my bag o'wheats but the guy is in Canada so I'm holding it for him in case he ever makes it to the States. Shipping to Canada just didn't make sense.

Anyway, the selling forum definitely works for the right item at the right price.

jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  07:28 am
@jaxenro -

US silver is so hot right now it doesn't last long at any price.

90% is flying out the door and Silver Eagles are smoking hot. A roll of 20 goes for $800 on some marketplaces these days if you can find them!

1911-S Lincoln Wheat Cent (Grade Req'd)
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  07:22 am

Quote:
Lacking eye appeal G details corroded.

@nickelsearcher - are you describing me or the coin?

.gif" class="inlineimg" alt="" title="" />
Forum: US Modern Coin Grading

1926-S Lincoln Wheat Cent (Grade Req'd)
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/12/2023  4:52 pm
@panzaldi -

Great minds think alike...

1922-D Lincoln Wheat Cent (Grade Req'd)
jeffbuckes
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/12/2023  1:46 pm

Quote:
I like these kind of old worn coins. I have a Lincoln set #3 with whatever hole fillers I have or could find that's complete except for the 4 keys. It has the look of how my original set started so did it for the nostalgia just as you mentioned.

PS: My eyes aren't what they used to be so I hope the emoji I selected is a thumbs up because that's what I was going for...!

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: