Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

samoth's Last 20 Posts

1598 Thaler Brunswick Wolfenbuttel
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  6:18 pm
The attribution is Davenport 9091 (Dav-9091).

I'd grade it aVF, but I'm not familiar with the specific type. It'd probably grade VF in a US slab. It has nice color & smooth surfaces, but there's a dark spot at K-12 on the reverse edge near the rim I'd want to see closer to make sure it's not ex-mount.

I don't know about valuation, but you can use the attribution to run comps from recent auction PRs. I see nice, mid-grade, problem-free talers around this age start around $400 for common issues and increase with rarity.
Forum: Ancient, Greek, Roman, and Medieval Coins

Hammered Bronze? Spanish? (Identified As French Jeton)
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/22/2022  9:16 pm
I'd guess this is a jeton, like the other you recently posted.

There's a site for Dugniolle with a legends search http://www.dugniolle.com/search-dugniolle.html), but the reference is limited to the low countries.

I don't recognize the designs of the item in question, and nothing in them stands out that would point to a time or place. I'd guess that the gothic lettering limits the date range to before the 17th century, but that's all I can see to go off of.

A Byzantine Bronze? (Identified As English Jeton)
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/22/2022  8:59 pm
I'd guess Jeton by its composition & size, French issue by its reverse, 15th-early 16th century by its lettering.

Unfortunately, I don't have any primary French jeton references to confirm. I'm sure someone here can narrow it down better.

What Will NGC Slab For Airview Holders?
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/21/2022  6:51 pm

Quote:
Sad to report it doesn't quite work with thin coins

Oh, well. It looked promising...
Forum: Third Party Coin Grading (TPG): PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, ETC.

Show Us Your Top 10 Ancient / Medieval Coins / Artifacts / Swords / Prints Of 2022
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/20/2022  9:41 pm

Quote:
The December Elsen auction had a number of dated 1480s coins, but they all went stratospheric (200-500% above the estimates) so I gave up.

Yeah, my primary focus is briquets. That auction really hurt the wallet :(

Someone actually outbid me on the '85, but I got the rest I wanted.

Show Us Your Top 10 Ancient / Medieval Coins / Artifacts / Swords / Prints Of 2022
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/20/2022  9:38 pm

Quote:
@sam, if dated medievals are your thing, then you might be interested in this old thread: http://goccf.com/t/269713

I think that & the walkback in time thread were the reason I joined this forum years ago :D

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/19/2022  9:58 pm

Quote:
5. German City State of Aachen Mariengroschen dated 1491 AD

Finally, some really good stuff! (Okay, I'm biased...)

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/16/2022  5:17 pm

Quote:
Any way to get one of those capsules and practice with something similar to your coin just to see if it will work without accidently damaging the coin itself?

Oh, yeah. I have a few low-value hammered culls with which I can experiment.

I'm curious to see how these will work -- I've never used or seen anything like them before. (But I typically don't acquire fragile, damaged, or dug coins, either.)

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/15/2022  9:09 pm

Quote:
Lighthouse now has capsules for you - they have two transparent plastic sheets. Nothing touches the coin but those.

Ooooh... I've never heard of those before. Definitely worth a shot! It looks similar to the new NGC holder and the type/substrate I was hoping to find.

Quote:
I am wondering though if it would work on a thin coin? I am assuming that samoths' coin is thin?

Yes, it's a thin 12th c. English hammered penny. It's not perfectly flat, either.

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/15/2022  6:35 pm

Quote:
You could holder it yourself with a plastic capsule like an Air-Tite or an aftermarket slab?

Any wiggle room, horizontal or vertical, has the potential for pieces to break off -- it was shipped in an AT capsule and still lost a small piece from the edge during shipment :(

I started this thread because, from what little I can see on their site, NGC's AirView slab appears to provide a very tight fit and would prevent any movement.

I've never seen any of these AirView slabs, but I thought some of you "slab guys" might be familiar with it.

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/14/2022  7:44 pm

Quote:
some food for thought - it was preserved from medieval times till now without a slab.

It's from a hoard coin that was in the ground until 1980. It has already broken in half and had to be glued together. There are a couple small edge pieces that have already fallen off, one during transit to me. (Such is the case of most of these Matilda hoard pennies.)

I'm not exaggerating when I use the word "fragile" here, unfortunately.

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/14/2022  7:18 pm
I have a medieval hoard coin that's quite fragile. It was also broken in half & "expertly repaired by museum" (i.e., the halves were glued together).

I'm not a slab guy, but I'd like to get this one holdered just for protection & preservation.

The response from NGC was 'maybe, but we'd have to see it.' (Note the coin was previously bodybagged with 'too fragile to holder' by a previous owner.)

Does anyone have any experience with these new slab types? Or, for that matter, any other ways to protect fragile-but-important coins for future generations?

samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/13/2022  6:29 pm

Quote:
1. Bishopric of Utrecht, St. Martinsgoudgulden (1464).

My favorite out of the bunch, but I'm biased towards late Burgundy. (I was hoping to see some early dateds in your group!)

I really need to get a coin-friendly camera so I can participate in threads like these :(

A Comparative Analysis Of Two 1459 Ad Kreutzers Issued By Wiener Neustadt
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/07/2022  7:33 pm

Quote:
I had similar crushed expectations for a 1491 a while back http://goccf.com/t/367566&SearchTerms=1491

Ha, we've all been there. I once picked up what looked to possibly be an exceedingly rare '77 Flanders Briquet, only to find upon closer inspection that it was a common '74.

But I think figuring out the kind of stuff like this thread is really interesting & fun :)

An Impressive Provenance!
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/06/2022  6:18 pm
I love researching provenances.

I acquired a few items some years back that were ex-Prince of Ligne, which had me purchasing auction cats from the '70s to see if they were plated (they weren't; they were in group lots). Ditto with something from Schulman traced to the '50s.

It's interesting to see how coins that weren't thought of very highly or sold in group lots decades ago are now stand-alone lots... or even featured lots with paragraphs of text about their history.

It's unfortunate that only AVs, crowns, & medals tended to get plated in the past; it makes it hard to trace back stuff that's really interesting -- and sometimes, we come to find, extremely rare.

Maybe some of our coins will be linked to our names a couple hundred years from now! :)

A Comparative Analysis Of Two 1459 Ad Kreutzers Issued By Wiener Neustadt
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/22/2022  9:41 pm
Concur that it's a '59. The gothic 5s tend to have thicker ascenders in this coin, and what I can see in your example follows others of that date.

I can't make out any trace of the fourth numeral; only the annulet following '5.'

Medieval Coin To Attribute:( A Grossus Of Balthazar Of Meissen, 1369-1406)
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/28/2022  12:45 pm
It's difficult to see, but the reverse doesn't appear to have annulets before & after the IM, so I would tentatively attribute as Krug 562/1, based on that & the second 'N' in MISNENSIS looking Roman (and the first Lombardic). I can't tell if there are annulets around the IM on the obverse.

Both Krug & Mehner are good books for this series, the latter being newer & very nicely illustrated.

Hammered Coin. ID Help Please.
samoth
United States
18 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/25/2022  8:10 pm
That type was used from Edward I through Henry VII. It's hard to nail down without legends or MMs.

It looks like a quatrefoil in the center of the reverse, which I think would mostly (completely?) eliminate the early Edwarian types and push it to Henry IV & later.

Someone who specializes in these might be able to identify it by the style of the crown. There's a series of small books by Chris Wren covering these issues in pretty good detail.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: