Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JohnWayne007's Last 20 Posts

1979 Penny Obverse Doubling
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/05/2023  3:15 pm
Beautiful doubled die obverse!

If you would like it featured in my catalogue that would also link to this page through the reference guide that is included in the back, feel free to send me an email or confirm on here for your permission, it would be a last minute entry but I have time to fit it in before publishing.

Btw, Great find an forsure 2x2 worthy!
Forum: Canadian Variety and Error Coins

1975 1 Cent, Doubled Die Obverse
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/22/2022  11:24 pm

Quote:
Ik this topic has been dormant for awhile but I think I found a 1975 DDO in a OG BU roll I just opened up.The pictures I have right now are pretty bad but ill get better ones soon.

2rtgah678, the photo of the "E" confirms what you have is the 1975 DDO, nice find! I have 2 so far after tanman mentioned the one he had discovered, not sure if he has acquired more by now but they are very hard to find in any grade.

When you have a moment and are able to you should send me an email, I noticed you have been finding a few different doubled die examples and I'm curious if you would like to be included in a reference list that can be found in the back of my doubled die variety book I am publishing soon, I have a few CCF members included, I can give more details through email if interested.

1973 $10 Olympic With Montreal Doubled
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/16/2022  6:49 pm
Looks like a doubled die to me.

1978 1 Cent, High & Low 8
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/15/2022  4:55 pm
Great work smallcentguy!

Really happy to see this variety being recognized, I'm not sure if it is common knowledge or not but I have came to the conclusion that the 1978 High 8 and Low 8 varieties both started out as a High 8.

There are 2 minor but distinctive markers located inside the top inner loop of the 8 that both varieties show (thousands of BU examples examined for both varieties confirm this) and with those markers it tells me that the 8 on some of the working hubs were originally High 8's and altered at some point either intentionally, or unintentionally, thus creating what we now refer to as the Low 8 variety.

1967 PL Quarter. Nice DDR And Odd Edge Error?
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/10/2022  2:06 pm
Unfortunately this is a form a Master Die Doubling, I discovered this a couple of months ago and upon further research deemed it as unfortunately being common.

As for the whole split serifs dilemma, they my not be technically "serifs" in the world of correct font descriptions, however it is a widely accepted term used by hundreds, if not thousands of collectors who are explaining where the splitting/spread has taken place.

When you say "serif" folks almost instantly know exactly where to look, so it stuck.

1921-2021 Dual Dated Dimes - 3 Coin Progression Set Of Struck Through Grease Errors
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/09/2022  10:46 pm
While searching through 4 mint sealed boxes of the 1921-2021 dual dated dimes I came across a good handful of strike through errors worth keeping..

The following photo shows 3 examples with the obverse struck through grease, all came out of the same roll.

Photos do not do these coins any justice, I handled them with gloves the moment they came out of the roll, took photos and right into a 2x2.

2021 Dual Dated Dime, Struck Through Retained Grease
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/09/2022  6:25 pm
Finally got around to sorting through my recent mint wrapped roll finds and thought I would share one of the smaller grease strikes I managed to pull as it still has some grease embedded into the surface.

Canadian Silver Dime And Quarter - To Melt Or Keep/Sell? Are There Criteria?
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/30/2022  3:01 pm
Okiecoiner, my comment wasn't directed towards you, it was more directed towards the OP as his/her post and comments made it sound as if he had plans on trying to melt them, in that case it would not be beneficial to him/her an would only be beneficial to who melts and tests it afterword as the fees attached to that kind of service is not worth it in the end an would need to be done on somewhat of a large scale (50lbs minimum) just to offset total costs for the entire process.
Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

Canadian Silver Dime And Quarter - To Melt Or Keep/Sell? Are There Criteria?
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/30/2022  07:43 am
Melting them would be pointless, not only do they have a set face value, it's also illegal in Canada.

Even if it were to be legal, its still not ideal, I melt silver, copper and gold and for silver its common practice to not bother melting anything less than .925 purity unless you can confidently provide proof of purity.

If you melt down a few ounces of .800 or .900 silver that had a recognizable face value, how will you prove that the contents and purity are legit once melted, so now you just incurred melting cost, testing cost, shipping costs to/from melter and tester if one isn't locally available to you, an thats just if you cant find anyone local.

Long story short, if it was intended for circulation an has a face value or even just a recognizable obverse/reverse regardless of wear, you are more likely to sell them as "Junk Silver" at melt value before seeing any elevated premiums after melting.
Forum: Canadian Coins and Colonial Tokens

2021 Regular Double Date Dime - Reverse Dot
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  02:32 am
Just finished up 2 mint sealed dime boxes intended for circulation, all being untouched solid date rolls of the 1921-2021 double date variety with the usual bluenose on the reverse, just wanted to show an interesting find.

Out of a total of 5,000 dimes thoroughly searched I managed to pull 3 with this dot on the reverse so I'm sure there are more out there, oddly similar to the shape and size of the dot that has been found on the 1964 small cent, photos are just quick snaps of one of them in a protective sleeve until my 2x2's arrive, any scratches you may see are not on the coin itself.

Why No Blakesley Effect
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/21/2022  12:21 pm
Although the majority of clipped planchets will usually show the blakesely effect, its not always set in stone. There are a number of genuine clipped planchets on Canadian, US and other world coins that don't have the blakesely effect present.

They WILL however always show the tell tale sign of Dovetailing, which that coin does, so yes it is genuine without the blakesely effect present.

1967 PL Dollar Big Strike Thru Error!
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/20/2022  2:39 pm
Genuine strike through, as for what I'm not certain but it does look like a frayed piece of wire with a partial sheath around the base, something similar to this.

Or like the end of a shoe lace, or string similar sorts, again not saying that is what your dollar was struck through, just giving general ideas as to what the object possibly looks like.

2021 Non-Coloured Klondike Doubled Die Reverse, Type #1 And Type #2
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/05/2022  11:51 am
Below are 3 images, the first image is of a 2021 Klondike Non-Coloured with no visible signs of doubling.

Second image ( Type #1) , both the hats, and backs of the gold prospectors show doubling, both of the Pan's also show minor doubling, the top of the womans hands show minor doubling and the back of her hair.

Third image (Type #2) , you can see that the bigger gold prospectors front rim of his hat is doubled, the front of the smaller prospectors left foot is doubled and the front of the women standing behind the smaller gold prospector.

JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/05/2022  10:42 am
Okie, what those images do not show is the numerous overlays and searching I put in to verify my claim.

When overlayed with a 2021 Klondike Non-Coloured with no signs of doubling, the doubled areas in Red are on the outside of the design, if it were machine doubling they would have been inside the design as machine doubling takes away, not adds.

As for deterioration doubling, deterioration is not this even, or for a lack of better words, neatly placed.

From 2020 to 2022 on the Dollar denomination coins, single squeeze hubbing was used, which by default leaves any genuine doubled die present restricted to the center of the design.

For references ill upload some closer/clearer photos this evening, Type #1 is actually major for single squeeze, some of the design details have a pretty wide spread.

JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/04/2022  9:21 pm
Although I have not posted in a while, I thought maybe two of my recent doubled die discoveries would give members something new to keep an eye out for.

2021 Klondike Dollar - Non-Coloured - DDR Type #1

2021 Klondike Dollar - Non Coloured - DDR Type #2

What's neat about this modern doubled die, the mintage for the non-coloured Klondike Dollar is around a Million, compared to the rest of the 1 dollar coins released in 2021 with very high mintages.

Apologies for the crude images, if you click the photos they should expand and make it easier to see.

25 Cents 1951 Double Die Or MMe?
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 05/13/2022  4:25 pm
Not only did I not know about this examples existence, this is one of the nicest Doubled Die Reverse examples I have seen!

Very obvious doubling in "25 Cents" with nice separation from the first and second hubbing impressions on the working die.

Possible Double Date? 1958 Dollar
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/10/2022  09:36 am

Quote:
I know canadian double dies are not very sought after.

I would have to disagree, Canadian Doubled Dies are very hard to come by for the most part, especially when the market is flooded with die deterioration and machine doubling..

As for value I would say upwards of $50.00 - $60.00 depending on grade.

1 Cent 1943 With Obverse Doubling
JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/08/2022  09:47 am
This is not a form of doubling, Error-ref is an overall good site for the most part, but comparing 2 different world coins and hoping the minting process is the same is like comparing apples to carrots and hoping nobody notices, it just doesn't work.

Why they are trying to compare a Canadian 1962 small cent featuring an over-polished die, with a 2017 United Kingdom 1 Pound showing clear signs of die deterioration I have no idea, but what I do know is you can't compare a 60 year old coin with a modern 5 year old coin, especially from 2 completely different countries, in the 60's the minting process is NOT comparable to any modern minting process, especially from 2017.

Overall I don't use fancy words to make simple common anomalies look more appealing to unknowing collectors, as for the 2017 1 pound, call it for what it truly is, deterioration.

But long story short and I got no issues calling it out, that error-ref page is 100% incorrect and misleading and that 1962 small cent is in the wrong class altogether.

JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/08/2022  12:16 am
Safe to say you have not just one, but TWO 1958 Doubled Die Reverse examples!

I was not aware of any doubled die examples for the 1958 silver dollar until now, awesome catch.

JohnWayne007
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1110 Posts
Old Post Posted 04/07/2022  7:09 pm
I'm with Tanman2001 on this one, the split serifs on the 5 stick out like a sore thumb.

However, I have been coming across a few master die doubling examples from that era and it very well could be on every 1958 dollar so next step would be to look at a few more before it can be 100% confirmed to be a doubled die reverse.

If you find the same split serifs on the date of other 1958 dollars, then it is likely master die doubling, which would be common.

If you find no split serifs on the date of other 1958 dollars, then this example could very well be one of few, which would make it not common.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: