Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

savatreatabvr's Last 20 Posts

Clearly A D Under The D Mintmark On This Penny? (1987)
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/21/2022  12:07 am
The mintmark anomaly on my 1987 D cent was called Zinc Rot but I found this pic of a 1951 D cent on the LCR site but they say it's an OMM. It looks a lot like my 1987 D cent mintmark so I'm wondering how to tell the difference between Zinc Rot and OMM?
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

This Is A Tough Question To Answer? 1987 D Dime Doubling
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/11/2022  10:44 pm
Are coins with dramatic Machine Doubling worth more than face value. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most dramatic Machine Doubling, where does my 1987 dime fall?

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/05/2022  6:07 pm
Oh, so a true Double Die coin is caused by the Die being damaged? So a coin could have both Double Die and Machine Doubling at the same time? This hobby just got more difficult, lol.

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/05/2022  4:00 pm
This 1987 D dime I believe has Machine/Mechanical Doubling. I've checked various sites but since I'm fairly new at this so I'm not sure?

Now here's a tough question to answer, this is hypothetical but lets say out of 10,000,000 coins what are the percentages when it comes to how many Double Dies vs Machine/Mechanical Doubling is in that 10,000,000 coins? Is it something like 0.003% or 0.7% or 5%?

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/01/2022  10:53 pm
The first pic I posted had me convinced there was a D under the D mintmark but I've also never heard of Zinc Rot. Thank you guys for clearing that up for me.

P.S. lol, that first pic had me going!

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/27/2022  9:46 pm
Wow, I was clearly wrong, lol. It's funny though, I ever thought I'd find a diseased penny. How long does it take for the "Rot" to completely break it down? Reason I ask, is it would be interesting to document the process.

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/26/2022  6:41 pm
I have a 1987 D penny with what clearly looks like a D under the D mintmark. Has anyone seen this before because I can't see this being PMD? Yes, I do plan on upgrading my USB microscope.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year to Title. Titles are Important! ***

2020 D Bat Quarter Doubling In "In God We Trust"?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/04/2022  9:11 pm
Coop:

Thank you for the illustration, I'm not new at collecting or lets say collecting coins is not a dedicated hobby for me, yet anyways, but I had no idea Double Die distorted the letters, I still don't see the doubling though. The trained eye, I have not, lol! Yet.

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/04/2022  08:39 am
Even with clear dramatic Machine Doubling like this there's really no added valve, correct?

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/04/2022  01:36 am
To me "IN GOD WE TRUST" is clearly doubled, probably Machine Doubling? Of course my knowledge of Double Dies and Machine Doubling is mediocre at best so can I please have help determining what's up with this 2020 D quarter?

1969 D Nickel DD & MD?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/25/2022  3:10 pm
Ive never heard of Circulation Flattening, I haven't been collecting long, lol. I was excited though, I would have sworn it was a DD. I know DDs are rare so lets say I had a box of 10,000 mixed coins, on average how many DDs should I expect to find or if any on a good day? On average?

1969 D Nickel DD & MD?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/24/2022  01:58 am
This looks like both Double Die and Machine Doubling to me. The 6 & 9 look like Double Die and the D looks like Machine Doubling. I'm probably wrong but check it out for yourself.

2019 W Quarter Doubling?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/07/2022  3:53 pm
Putthaton

2019 W Quarter Doubling?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 09/06/2022  10:57 pm
I'm not sure if this is Machine Doubling or Post Mint Damage on the words "MARIANA ISLANDS" & "E PLURIBUS UNUM" on my 2019 W American Memorial Park quarter?

Machine Doubling Or Mechanical Doubling?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/31/2022  7:56 pm
coop

Thank you for the valuable info. I've only been collecting for a few years, I have a 2009 A $100 note - LH 00000003 A I found here in Phoenix but my coin collection will have to be thoroughly gone through because what I thought were DDs are probably not. Time to break out the cheap amazon USB microscope, lol.

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/30/2022  10:57 pm
Yes, Ive noticed Double Dies are hard to come by and with me being a novice collector when I come across MDs it's exciting even though they are worthless, lol.

savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/30/2022  7:30 pm
These are two different coins, I've been told Machine Doubling and Mechanical Doubling. What's the difference?

1980 D Lincoln Mint Mark DD Or MD?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/30/2022  7:13 pm
I agree with the members above but here's a new question, when MD happens is it only on one coin or can it happen on multiple coins. The reason I ask is because this one is the only one (1980 D Penny} I've seen online with a mint mark like that?

1980 D Lincoln Mint Mark DD Or MD?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/29/2022  10:05 pm
I have this 1980 D penny, the mint mark looks like some kind of doubling. I haven't seen another 1980 D with this kind of doubling. Can someone point me in the right direction?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

1945 Lamination Error?
savatreatabvr
United States
36 Posts
Old Post Posted 03/15/2020  7:28 pm
I agree with member "Errers and Varietys" simply because the raised mark above the date matches almost perfectly with the tip of a wheat stalk on the reverse of every wheat penny. But the mark on this penny is not lined up with the wheat stalk on the reverse of this penny if that all made sense? What I'm saying is I don't think the wheat stalk on the reverse of this particular penny was punched through to the obverse.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: