Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

OwlBuffs's Last 20 Posts

1804 British Bank Dollar - Details Grade?
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/03/2023  12:44 pm
Thank you! That makes sense, and agree, the obverse is nicer than reverse as Britannia has a lot of wear on it.
Forum: World Coin Grading

1804 British Bank Dollar - Details Grade?
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/03/2023  01:04 am
I'm terrible with determining if a coin is cleaned or not - thoughts about this 1804 Bank Dollar? EF/XF details?

1840 2.5 Gulden Netherlands
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/22/2022  12:24 am
Any thoughts to the grade? XF or F?

Islamic Coins Identification And Authenticity
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/21/2022  11:50 pm
@Seeker55:

Thanks, one of the coins is chipped and here is a cross section of the inside, any thoughts? Is the darkened edge a sign of filing?

Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/20/2022  1:48 pm
Thanks! Just not sure about authenticity if any one can help there.

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/18/2022  3:22 pm
Hi, I got these coins as part of a lot at auction. I think they are this coin:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces75413.html

They are non-magnetic and weigh 9 grams (based on my kitchen scale), so fit the description of this coin according to Numista.

However, some had the sticker "made in Pakistan" on it so I'm not entirely sure if they are real. Any thoughts?

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/16/2022  3:45 pm
Yep, 25 grams. Just wanted to get a second pair of eyes on it! Thanks!

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/16/2022  1:29 pm
Thoughts on authenticity and grade? I read these are counterfeited given the low mintage (~44,000)

Suggestions Of Coins Shops In Paris
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/10/2022  08:41 am
Hi, just following up with a detailed experience as I ended up going to Rue Vivienne in Paris to check out some coins shops. It's a fun location to window shop, and as some mentioned, esp when your wife is busy shopping!

Most of the stores with coins are primarily for currency exchange (i.e. they advertise exchange rates and bullion rates). I did visit iNumis after visiting their website and doing some research ahead of time, as they seem to be beyond bullion.

It's a very small store with one window display area. The inside is small as well - similar to an old style bank with the dealer sitting behind a window and a tray to deposit the coins. I think since they are primarily an online dealer/auction house the physical real estate is limited.

I started out with the customary "Bonjour" and asked the dealer if we could use English which was fine with him. He was nice and I think in general for French people not really much for small talk. We got right down to business as I listed the coins I wanted to see. It seemed like the window display doubled as the storeroom as he had to go pull the inventory from that area.

For collectors interested in French coins and European coins, they definitely had a great selection of European coins that are harder to find in the US. I ended up buying five coins, including a 1792 Ecu from the Limoges mint listed as VF. Also a 1907 Swiss Confederation 5 Francs, a 1870 Papal States 5 Lire, a 5 Francs from Piedmont Republic (French Satellite State from the First French Republic), and a 1911 commemorative 2 Lire from Italy.

If you can't tell already, I'm a big fan of the Latin Monetary Union coins. None of these coins are particularly rare, just harder to find in the US in nice conditions and reasonable prices. Most of these coins I got are in the VF-XF range, and either not cleaned or lightly cleaned. I didn't do too much bargaining but asked what he could do for the lot and did get a 12% discount.Ill try and post some pictures once I'm back.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchases and I'm in the Paris area for a few more days, so might go back to Rue Vivienne again to check out thr other dealers and take some photos for share. Thanks again for everyone's comments and tips!

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/01/2022  11:07 am
Wow, this iNumis looks great. Thank you so much to everyone for their comments and suggestions!

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/01/2022  01:01 am
Hi - wanted to see if anyone in the community has coin shops they recommend in Paris. I've heard many of the bullion dealers are on Rue Vivienne, but not looking for bullion, more historical French coins, especially in the French Revolution and Napoleonic periods. Finally, my French is limited to "Bonjour/Bonsoir, parlez vous Anglais?" so any recommendations friendlier dealers would be appreciated. Thank you!

1902 Italian 2 Lire Grading
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/12/2022  11:29 am
Thanks for all the responses! Looks like it falls XF-AU which sounds about right.

Year 34 Meiji - 20 Sen (1901)
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/12/2022  11:28 am
Worth grading? Key date with only 500,000 minted. Some definite pockmarks on the reverse.

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/10/2022  7:09 pm
Yeah sorry that was my bad, brain fart - 1905!

OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 08/10/2022  3:45 pm
Hi, I wanted to get feedback on this 1902 2 Lire, what grade this would come back at? XF? AU?

Showing Off New Accusation Of An Austrian 1 Florin Coin From 1878
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 07/20/2022  01:03 am
Looks nice! Some good detail on the double-headed eagle and Franz has a nice beard.

1733-1794 Netherlands Silver Rider Ducaton NGC And PCGS Combined Pop Report
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/22/2022  12:18 am
Wow, after reading up on the history of the shipwreck, seems to check out. Thank you so much for the info, I was wondering if there was a way to identify the shipwreck it came from.

1733-1794 Netherlands Silver Rider Ducaton NGC And PCGS Combined Pop Report
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/21/2022  12:08 am
I'll share my ducaton too - I got this a part of a lot so it was very affordable, but seawater damaged (most likely from a shipwreck?). Love the hefty weight and size of the coin and loved seeing the high quality ducatons shared on this thread!

1870 20 Sen - Deep / Shallow Scales? Scratched?
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/06/2022  6:41 pm
Thanks again! I think it's probably an old cleaning based on what you mentioned. Bummer, I was thinking about it getting graded but probably not worth the cost and time. Appreciate your feedback!

1870 20 Sen - Deep / Shallow Scales? Scratched?
OwlBuffs
United States
26 Posts
Old Post Posted 06/04/2022  11:04 pm
Thank you! No, the scratches aren't visible to the naked eye; that's why I wasn't sure if the scratches were considered just scratches or evidence of cleaning.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: