Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Windmiller's Last 20 Posts

1893-Dated Germany Leipzig Horticulture Expo Oertel - (39mm) Silver
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/04/2022  5:42 pm
Joyful, thank you for posting.
Forum: Tokens, Medals, Challenge Coins, and other Exonumia

Went To Local Coin Auction
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/02/2022  4:29 pm
Sounds fun and the prices fair. ASE monster boxes are over 20k now.
Forum: Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

Dearborn's Updated And Completed Jefferson Nickel Dansco Albums. With Proofs
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/01/2022  10:41 am
Congratulations nicely done
Forum: US Modern Coins

Please Help Selling Dad's Coins
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/01/2022  10:35 am
Ebay will quickly show you what junk silver coins are selling for. You can also sell silver on the Reddit forum r/pmsforsale. I see junk silver coins selling for around 20X face value. For example two 90% Kennedy Halfs for $20. Spend some time looking at completed sales. It's fine to sell for a discount for a quick sale, but it's better to do that knowingly.
Forum: Main Coin Forum

No Frills, But It's The Best Deal I've Had This Year
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/01/2022  10:22 am
I never knew I wanted one untilI saw yours.
Forum: Ancient, Greek, Roman, and Medieval Coins

Murder For Hoarded Gold Cuyuga County NY - 1905
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/30/2022  4:04 pm
Interesting historical story of unsolved murder for hoarded wealth in NY. Discovered doing genealogical research. Follow the link at bottom. Some interesting mentions of bank failures in the article as well.

Here's the backstory.

The murdered man (Robert Kidney) was my great great uncle. Robert in turn was the great grandson of John Kidney who immigrated from St John's Parish Barbados and who married a dutch woman in Albany NY in 1698. So the Kidney's have been in NY since British colonial days. Records show John in turn was the great grandson of Walter Kidney born in Great Britain and who ran afoul of the English judicial system and departed the port of Bristol in 1658 to serve 6 years as an indentured servant in the colony at Virginia. John wound up actually going to the colony in the West Indies instead. Apparently he did alright and lived in Barbados the rest of his life. His will is recorded in Barbados and he left property to his son and grandsons. In fact, I'd say whatever John did to earn six years indentured servitude was probably a stroke of good luck. In any case, he fared better than his descendant Robert who met an unhappy end many years later as explained here.

Hope you enjoy the story, Windmiller.

https://www.syracuse.com/living/202...h-an-ax.html
Forum: Numismatic Crime

Finished My Small Cents Type Set!
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/29/2022  10:48 am
Great job
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Coins

A New Coin Cleaning Project. 1803 Large Cent
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/29/2022  10:42 am
It's impressive how skilled hands with simple tools can produce excellent results. I enjoy your posts.

1856 Seated Quarter Love Token VF (New Info & Pics)
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/29/2022  10:24 am
Nickelsearcher,

I like the cabinet in your profile pic. It reminds me of the cabinet I built when I attended North Bennett Street School's 3-month cabinet making course. Restoration work has kept me from doing anything similar since.

1880 Gold $5 Dollar Found In A Nickel Roll
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/28/2022  10:28 pm
That's fun

Christmas Came Early! 1857 Flying Eagle Cent
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/28/2022  1:54 pm
Great coin, Merry Christmas

1856 Seated Quarter Love Token VF (New Info & Pics)
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/28/2022  1:16 pm
The baptism record of the person who owned this love token (Eliza Fox) is on the wall in my hall but it didn't occur to me it was her's until now. I've added pictures of it. My wife had it restored by a preservationist about 30 years ago. With this connection I can fill in some of the more interesting snippets of the story. Eliza married William Kidney who served in Company M, 2nd Regiment Michigan Volunteer Calvary. He served under Capt Dickey, Col Grainger and later Col Phil Sheridan for the duration of the war and was discharged a corporal on Aug 17, 1865 in Macon, GA. This information from an account of his engagements recorded on a lithograph of the Grand Monument presented to his Wife Eliza on May 30th 1896 which hangs in my entry hall. The record of his engagements he fought in is lengthy and he was captured once and paroled and went back to the war. I have his civil war papers including his civil war medical physical clearance, enlistment, leave papers, pay slips, etc. Family oral history says he enlisted with a friend who was killed at Gettysburg and he wrapped his friend in a blanket and buried him under a tree. The family intended to recover the body, but never did. Oral history also conveys the commanding officer utilized him to carry messages as he was so young. This strategy didn't prevent him from receiving a saber cut to his face and after the war he wore a beard and was known to carry a pistol even around the farm. Eliza had a daughter who later married my great grandfather. I live on William & Eliza's farm. I've also served in combat and later came back to restore his Greek Revival home here on the farm and that is where I am now and shall likely remain. I had it my mind the love token was masculine and don't think of Eliza's maiden name as often so it took a minute. So now I have more information to include with the token. I will need to catalog the small items. I've spent so much time restoring the buildings that were in true despair that the small things get put away and not thought of much. I don't recall dad mentioning this being Eliza's. He may not have not known or I forgot. I'll incorporate some of these historical items in my coin photos to make them more interesting. Thank you to the posters who provided information. I look at your posts and find other helpful information.

I wonder if anyone else has come across a pin in the same style? I need to put it in its own little box with a note explaining what it is. Any information to include in my note is most welcome. It's been in the keepsake box for years and years. I don't have any history on it.

I do think I will wear it to the airport today to pick up the family and see if anyone notices.

So, You Inherited A Bunch Of Foreign Gold
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/28/2022  12:09 am
Reddit subforums r/gold and r/pmsforsale are active places for the precious metals community. You can sell much better than spot. There are zero fees on Reddit and a trader feedback rating system as well as trusted middleman available. If nothing else you'll get a feel for the market via die hard stackers. It's an active place. Mexican gold has a strong following. Stack on.
Forum: World Coins and Commemoratives

Finally Sorted The Box
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  9:30 pm
I kept a few coins to the side not photographed. From another post I now know one is a three cent silver coin. I had no idea what it was.
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins

Massive Coin Stash. Need Advice.
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  9:20 pm
Welcome to the forum! You've gotten great advice. I just went through this on a smaller scale. You will need a magnifier, good light, and space to sort and leave your work. I'd probably get some tubes and start tubing up your circulated silver and plastic coin flips for coins that look exceptionally nice that you want to stay that way. Sorting is one thing, but you need to keep your work sorted and safe so you can eventually move it on. Selling the sorted coins will be a whole project onto itself. Good luck!

What Are Thoughts On The Value Of Toned Bullion
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  9:07 pm
Toning can be attractive but how does one arrest it at the desired stage? If one pays a large premium for toning it seems like a real added risk.

Finally Sorted The Box
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  8:56 pm
I'll post the encased quarter as my first coin photo attempt. I read the 101 on coin photos and purchased the light ring gizmo from Amazon. There is an encased lucky penny from a car dealership as well. Also a charm dated 1830 from a catholic sisterhood. All kinds of odds and ends among projectile points picked up from the farm (one Clovis point), abalone cuff links, civil war pins, metal detector finds, etc.
Forum: US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins

An Upgrade In My Birthyear Set
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  8:42 pm
Sharp coin

1958 D Jefferson Nickel
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  8:32 pm
Nice eye appeal
Forum: US Modern Coin Grading

American Gold Eagle Bullion Coins Roman Numeral Dates
Windmiller
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/27/2022  8:23 pm
I don't see why not. The numismatic qualities of these bullion coins are evolving. Some will agree with you and some won't.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: