Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brian9424's Last 20 Posts

1986 D Nickel With Glue Or Something On It I Thought Was An Error & [:(]
Brian9424
United States
5 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/02/2022  10:46 pm
#128517; you all were right .gif" class="inlineimg" alt="" title="" /> I get stubborn when I think I'm right but I can admit when I'm wrong. idk if it was glue but a knife scraped off (more so cracked off) whatever was on it! This was my error lol
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

Brian9424
United States
5 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/02/2022  7:16 pm
Here is another picture of it! I wish I had a better quality camera to show this but the only material is the nickel itself - there isn't anything stuck to it but rather it is all raised and altered slightly with the raising. Could this happen with burning after the fact maybe or could it be extra material when it was made? The "five," in five cents is partly normal and partly raised up on the higher level of metal. I can't measure it but its a slight raise throughout the middle of the nickel that is apart of the nickel. it weighs 5 grams according to my scale

Brian9424
United States
5 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/02/2022  7:09 pm
I thought that at first and confirmed its not something stuck to it but rather a raising of the metal of the coin. If it is something stuck to it it would of happened before the minting because the coins marks are on top of what could be stuck to it. If it was something stuck to it wouldn't it cover up the back of the coin? I appreciate the welcome! Its been really fun searching for coins! I will weigh it but as I keep inspecting it the metal of the coin is raised itself but nothing separate is part of it or on it.

Brian9424
United States
5 Posts
Old Post Posted 10/02/2022  6:54 pm
I am relatively new to looking through change to find rare coins and came across a nickel with severe differences. I attached a photo to show what I am talking about. I am wondering if there is a chance this could happen from the mint or is this definetly a post production error coin. Its raised severely and even has a letter that seems depressed on the top right and missing (the P in "Pluribus,') I thought I would post it and see what this forum thought. I am suspecting heat damage but am not knowledgable enough to know if it could be a mint caused issue or is after the fact. Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: