Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ms3's Last 20 Posts

2013 Penny - Damage During Mint Process?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/12/2022  11:31 am
Thank you all and thanks @Petespockets55 for a very interesting follow up question.

As far as this coin being sanded down, I'm a bit skeptical since the fine scratches mostly begin outside of an "aura" ring immediately surrounding the exposed zinc. It seems to me it's more of a regular wear on a previously compromised coin rather than an intentional post-mint sanding.
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/08/2022  09:45 am
Thank you all for your helpful comments and @Yokozuna for pointing out that the wording on the shield is incuse- I previously thought otherwise. I'm still puzzled as to what seems to be like a slanted letter "I" between "OF" and "AMERICA" (third pic from top and second pic from bottom). I thought if subjected to heat, it may be something like a ripple in plating. Now that it doesn't seem likely that the penny was subjected to excessive heat, I'm not sure what could have caused it.

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/07/2022  10:15 am
Thanks for your replies. I'm still puzzled since I think the original damage seems to be due to heat. Zinc would melt before the copper plating which may explain why there is zinc neatly pooled around the raised copper lettering in "UNUM". I'm not sure as to how many occasions of heat damage would there be post-mint unless someone deliberately took a torch to it or threw it into a fire, but in that case I think there would be much less of this coin that remains preserved, i.e. there would be more mangling and discoloration. ?

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/07/2022  08:04 am
As far as cuds go, there is a raised irregular "chunk" of metal on the edge of the shield past the "M" in "UNUM" at the next-to-last picture that the arrow is pointing to.

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/06/2022  10:45 pm
Hi All,
When I first came across this penny, I thought it must have been damaged in a vending machine or something like that. However, after taking a closer look, it seems like this could have happened during the minting process. For example, while "UNUM" lettering is raised, it remains copper colored while the space around it seems to be stripped of plating. I'm inclined to think that post-mint damage would have stripped this raised lettering as well.
Additionally, there are cuds present in addition to what seems like a slanted letter "I" between "OF" and "AMERICA", and what look like several shadow letters in that general area. I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on what happened to this penny.

Thanks much!

2018 Penny, Could This Be A DDO?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/05/2022  3:13 pm
Here's another attempt at a photo with just daylight, in case it's helpful.

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/03/2022  8:52 pm
I've been trying to improve light diffusion. Please let me know if these pics look better/make you see more clearly as far as the origin of the doubling goes. Thanks much!

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/03/2022  09:11 am
I appreciate your input. I'm attaching a couple of photos where I tried to remove as much direct light as possible. Unfortunately, they are of what seems to be much lower quality and sharpness since my photo equipment for the purpose is modest; however, there still appears to be quite a bit of thickness in the lettering. Thank you for taking another look.

ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 12/01/2022  10:11 pm
Hi All,
I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on possible doubling, primarily on letters LIB, as shown.
Best regards to all!

1987 D Penny. Doubling On "D" And/Or Date?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/26/2022  09:28 am
Thank you all. It is certainly good to learn about these types of plating issues.

1987 D Penny. Doubling On "D" And/Or Date?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/25/2022  4:22 pm
Hi All,
Came across this 1987 D penny which seems to have some doubling on "D" and perhaps on the date (see arrows on photos). Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Best regards!

2002 Penny Reverse- What Type Of Error (If Any) Is This?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/25/2022  4:05 pm
Thank you all!

2002 Penny Reverse- What Type Of Error (If Any) Is This?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/24/2022  6:16 pm
Hi All,
I came across this 2002 penny that has a couple of what seem to be raised lines/specs on reverse. These are between "N" and "T" on "CENT" and right before "C" on "CENT". I attached a photo with arrows showing what I'm referring to. Can you help me identify what caused this? A small die wear perhaps?

Best regards!

1989 Penny - Is This A Die Error, A Planchet Error, Or Something Else?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/23/2022  1:25 pm
Thank you all- very happy to have learned why this coin looks the way it does.

1989 Penny - Is This A Die Error, A Planchet Error, Or Something Else?
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/22/2022  3:37 pm
Hi All,
I came across this very interesting 1989 penny. There is a crescent-shaped raised area on obverse, beginning slightly under "LIBERTY" making it look like "IIBERTY", stretching to the end of "WE", as shown in photos. I would very much appreciate your input as to what type of error (if any) this might be.
Best regards!

1987 Penny- Please Help With Identification Of Error Shown On Photos
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/21/2022  2:11 pm
Thank you for your input! It's definitely not a dirt/gunk of any type. The coin seems to be in a very nice shape/clean. Rather, it almost seems like the "shelf" of the coin drops a notch along the top of the lettering and dips down to where it meets the rim (can be seen on photos 3 and 4 from the top). That's why my first guess was peeling of the copper coating.

1987 Penny- Please Help With Identification Of Error Shown On Photos
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/21/2022  11:55 am
Hi All,
I came across this 1987 penny that seems to have a good amount of "wavy" kind of errors above the letters on reverse. The ones shown on the attached photos are the most obvious ones but there are others of the type present to a lesser degree. Is this due to a die deterioration or perhaps the application of copper plating? I'm a beginner and not very familiar with this type of error so would very much appreciate any input you can provide.
Best regards!

1980 Penny- Doubled Die, Mechanical Doubling, Or Nothing At All? Please Help.
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/05/2022  6:43 pm
Thank you all very much for your input and welcoming me to this outstanding forum. Being a beginner, I still have much to learn including on how to photograph the coins. Here are a couple of photos in natural light- hope these are better. It appears to me that there is some doubling occurring particularly on "8" and "0" of the date.

Best regards!

1980 Penny- Doubled Die, Mechanical Doubling, Or Nothing At All? Please Help.
ms3
United States
19 Posts
Old Post Posted 11/03/2022  10:42 pm
Hi All,
I found this penny in my son's penny jar. It looked to be in pretty good shape for a 1980 penny so I took a closer look at it (I'm a total beginner). The date seemed rather prominent, perhaps more so than I've seen on any other penny, including the newer ones. I looked under a magnifying glass and saw what looks like doubling, particularly in the date area. I attached some photos.

I seriously doubt this is a doubled die and think it's either a mechanical doubling, or perhaps not even that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards!

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: