Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

MrJ's Last 20 Posts

1981 D LMC Legit Toning?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/02/2023  1:34 pm
If you can tell me how to tone both sides of the coin diff tones please do share, garuntee it would help me in the future. I haven't tried that many ways of doing it, however I have tries a good but of quick process artifical toning and closest I've gotten was super toned on one side and no toning on the other...and that wasn't that quick of a process. Deff not worth the time unless your trying to learn how to identify natural vs artifical.
Forum: US Modern Coin Grading

1969 D Lincoln Penny - What Is This? What Caused It?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/02/2023  07:23 am
With it being donut like with the center not pressed in it wouldn't be a bb or a projectile hit it. To me it looks like someone took a nail set punch and made the mark. Would explain why the center of the hole is unaffected yet you can Cleary see on the reverse something with force struck it and dented the backside.
Forum: US Modern Variety and Error Coins

1981 D LMC Legit Toning?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/02/2023  07:18 am
Here is a comparison, left is the 81 D I posted right is a 72 D somewhat ok condition. Shows the difference in a standard copper au coloring vs the "gold" tone reverse.

1981 D LMC Legit Toning?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/02/2023  07:08 am
@cointree, I do kind of agree that this could have sat in a old cardboard coin book and that might have helped the result. In my experience buying old books and picking thru the coins, when it's toned from the book only the one side would have tone and the other would he normal copper coin color.
This one however has a brighter gold toning on the reverse, it's not typical 81 copper kind of look. Would there have been anything in those old books that would cause the reverse to tone gold while obverse looks like This?
I agree the toning is much more subtle than a heated coin. All the ways I have toyed around with heat induced artificial toning they come out very vibrant and precise on the coloring. real crisp lines from one color to another, where as this one looks more blended and fades from one color to the next. The only toned coins that I have that I know for sure got their tone from sitting in a older book for some years all came out with both sides toned but of same color toning and usually both sides were golden toned going into like a first time in Miami lighting bronzing.
I have a gold toned proof nickel only on the obverse tho, the reverse is standard color just with a heck of a shine. That one I pulled from a uncircumcised roll that by my guess was sealed in 71 I think the coin is and not opened till I opened it and it was the dead center coin of the roll.

1981 D LMC Legit Toning?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/01/2023  11:37 pm
Did the reverse on yours turn the same color? I've tried some before with a couple diff heat sources and they always came out same coloring on both sides

1981 D LMC Legit Toning?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/01/2023  11:16 pm
Got this in my change one day, thought it looked pretty cool so I 2x2ed it. What could cause toning like this? Obverse as you can see is tiny bit of gold tone mixed with a heft amount of blue/purple/green. The reverse is a solid gold tone.
The colores do extend to the right of the bust and around the date, couldn't seem to get a good pic showing alot of the color all around.
If it was heat that toned it wouldn't both side ls be of a similar color pattern? ?

1941 D Washington MS Stunner
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/01/2023  8:37 pm
Very nice coin, deff catches the eye!!

1985 D Nickel Surprise?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 02/01/2023  8:27 pm
Gotta be one of the cleanest and we'll struck 80s nickels I've gotten in my change. I don't think it would grade to high seeing as it was circulated, right side of the steps took a pretty decent hit. Made me kinda sad when I saw it, aside from that pretty decent imo. Most 80s I see especially in circulation have mushy strikes or die det something horrible.

1917 P LWC What Grade Might It Get?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/20/2023  7:49 pm
I am Def inclined to agree with all about it being previously cleaned some time ago, was hoping it wouldn't be the case but it is what it is. Thanks to all who posted, as always a big help.

MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/20/2023  2:38 pm
Idk where the dark brown patches came from. I acquired the coin as it is close to 6 years ago maybe a tad over 6. Been sitting sealed and in a binder since. I Wanna say the browning looks like it could be natural to me, it doesn't appear on the edge or rev...I wouldn't be able to tell you how it came about natural or not.

I've experimented om numerous denomination coins and methods to artificially tone them. Doesn't look like anything I ever came up with.

1974 D LMC The Details!
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/20/2023  10:27 am
You would be correct on that, even still I don't generally see any LMCs with this much detail in the hair. Maybe other people do but it deff surprised me when I first saw it.

1974 D LMC The Details!
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/20/2023  10:08 am
I don't think I've seen another LMC with so much detail in Abes hair. Overall condition is nice idk about Ms with the small strikes on the obverse. The hair however tells me it should be kept safe lol.

MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  11:15 pm
Not a perfect coin still nice none the less.
Was curious as to what it's chances are of any ms grade...?,

Or would it top out at AU 50 or 58?

1955 P Jefferson Nickel
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  7:22 pm
There is a couple small nicks, all the scratching on it looks to me as die scratches. All are raised and not dug into the surface. As for his neck I have no idea what happened there, I assumed he just wanted to rock a neck beard.

1955 P Jefferson Nickel
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  4:57 pm
Pulled this from a old bank roll few years ago. Thought it was pretty nice condition so I kept it. Didn't think to much of it till I saw some ms graded ones selling for nice prices. Got to wondering what mine might grade at, and is it nice enough to send it in for grading?

Steps look kinda soft in thus pic, it does them no justice. In hand they look better with one or two small nicks possibly. Steps still look pretty nice for P mint, would it be good enough to get 5fs or no? To me the only major factor for grading is fs or not. Without fs I don't see it meriting the costs vs value after.

1964 D LMC DDR-011 ?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/19/2023  12:50 pm
I think it matches to ddr 011 I believe on VV is where I last tried to match it up. The ONE CENT looks the same but I think it was the tops on United that I think lost me. I don't see a spread on SoA tho it does look there is some MD on States of. Looks like MD to the left with flat like doubling. I'll try to get a good picture of it. Didn't know if it was MD I see there or coincidental doubling that looks lkme MD.

1954 S LWC MM Touching Date.
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  3:42 pm
Doesn't always need a premium to enjoy something. I didnt get into coin collecting or heck most collecting of anything looking for premium value or profit... sure here and there it may happen I more so just like to have things I enjoy :D oddball mm locations just happen to be something I do like lol without it I would have never found my 75 D high mm nickel.

1954 S LWC MM Touching Date.
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  1:34 pm
I see a number of 53,54 lwcs that have the mm close to the date and people claiming its touching. Just thought I'd share mine that is deff touching the date. Still looking for a in the wild find 53 with mm touching the date, got some that are extremely close but under magnification they aren't touching.

Probably no real increased value for this but still a cool Little "incident" of the mm to keep imo.

1956 P Jefferson Nickel Peeled Planchet Or Defective Planchet?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/14/2023  12:44 pm
Well sadly that takes all curiosity out of it lol. I'll still keep it as an example of a acid damaged coin but it doesn't get a place in the main collection lol. Ty to all for clarifying the non error problem on this one :D

1956 P Jefferson Nickel Peeled Planchet Or Defective Planchet?
MrJ
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Old Post Posted 01/13/2023  9:57 pm
I could maybe see a long acid bath, buried idk about that. It has no real dirt or staining from being buried to me. If placed on top of another nickel it almost seems as if it's missing the entire rim all the way around along with being half the thickness. Would acid really take the rim off so evenly without major pitting?

Also along the rim it almost resembles a layered coin idk if acid or dirt would cause that type of look then again I have never given a coin and acid bath.

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: