Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 304 / Views: 29,089Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to here, keep us updated
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also I got reamed for just jokingly saying to take your fake toonies to the bank. And with me it was one single toonie and I didn't even go in asking for a real one. All I was saying in my posts was that if you get a fake toonie or (Alot) in your case that we shouldn't be the ones to have to loose money because we got a fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
644 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So we have a cash recycler (sort of like a coinstar machine for retail use) installed at our store. We were training to use it today. So we dumped bag after bag after bag of coins from all the cash registers into it today.

And it spat out US coins, I also found a 1968 Quarter today and it was quite alarming how many counterfeit toonies it spat back out. It spat out 100% of the counterfeits that were sitting in our tills and there were quite a lot.

This also answers the questions whether automation can cull these coins out of circulation. I thought automated machines would have trouble sorting these coins given that they have the same weight as post-2012 toonies, but they can and do catch them.

However, I have heard of coins coming from the Toronto Transit Commission bankboxes that are counterfeit so maybe not all machines are capable of doing this.
Edited by wilsonwu89
08/09/2021 11:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3848 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It probablky has to do with the magnetic properties of the coins as well as size & weight.
Valued Member
Canada
432 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wilsonwu89 could you post a photo of this coin machine. I have seen the Coinstar machines but nothing else.
Valued Member
Canada
280 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysterious_dr_x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw how long ago this thread started, I feared I might be too late, but I grabbed a few rolls yesterday as I was in Toronto (Scarborough to be more exact) and I found a few, so I can confirm they're still around. For those keeping stats, it was 11 out of 20 rolls. I almost got every year too. They are now removed from circulation, and I'll be on the lookout for the years I'm missing here in Ottawa, but I get the sense they'll be scarcer here, based on previous posts.
Learn More...
Canada
9858 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back mysterious_dr_x,

It has been a couple of years since we have seen you.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
280 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysterious_dr_x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I'm back from my "having 3 kids in 4 years then pandemic" hiatus. I'll have some catching up to do :)
Valued Member
Canada
222 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cameltoetoonie.ca site has been updated, with excellent photographs and authorative text, as well as some new varieties. I was impressed with the original site. It is now incredible! Well worth visiting again. Check out the value of these counterfeit coins-it is a big business!
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you see values for the counterfeit coins? Or do you mean the value that the counterfeiters are getting by making them?
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cameltoetoonies site estimates there are $5 Million dollars worth of the counterfeits in circulation. To me, that is a big profit, and big business.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have thought there was more then 5million$ worth of these toonies, though it seems a large bulk of them hit Ontario, especially in the GTA.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still wishing a couple examples of the different varieties of these would accidentally end up in my change :)

Edited by smuglr
09/16/2021 6:41 pm
Valued Member
Canada
432 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been very actively searching and so far 2 out of 6 varieties a CT05 and CT02 with hit rate of 0.006% They have been easy to pick out since they still have a lot of luster.

I was in Peru a few years ago. All of the Scotia Bank ATMs that I went to gave me brand new bills. If you exchange USD to Soles and the USD was not in AU or better they will refuse it. At the stores the cashiers check each and every coin and banknote. They flip, tilt and feel it. That's what happens when a country is flooded with counterfeits.
Page: of 21
Previous TopicReplies: 304 / Views: 29,089Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05