Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 138 / Views: 13,018Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
71 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Another method of determining the fake ..........
This strip is all 2006's. The one on the far right is the fake. The maple leaf is much larger on the fake as you can easily discern by looking at the distance to the rims.
It certainly makes it easier by having fakes and good ones for comparisons. These are all 2006's and in various conditions, and while I didn't put them under my scope at the same time or in the exact same lighting conditions, I did not change magnification settings from start to finish. The phony definitely has the LARGER maple leaf.
I have only gone through one roll, but have purchased several from a local bank.
My concern (although I have many), is that every time we find a bad one we are out $2.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1808 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one of the markers. Leaf too high...not centered on 2004 2005 2006
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polymer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in North York, DVP/Eglinton area. I get all my toonies in change as I commonly use cash for purchases under $20. I found first fakes 5-6 years ago (Montreal Mint versions), 2 of them. Last summer I got a 1996 coin in my area and then another 1996 in Ottawa. Then it got quiet until yesterday. I went to the C&C supermarket (Don Mills, north of Eglinton) and got a 2004 fake in change. Went there again today and got 2 more fakes, 2002 and 2006. They probably got a few rolls of these from someone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1808 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks much polymer!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
629 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
 I went to the C&C supermarket (Don Mills, north of Eglinton) and got a 2004 fake in change. Went there again today and got 2 more fakes, 2002 and 2006. They probably got a few rolls of these from someone.

It's very likely the rolls shipped from the bank are all fake. The store I work at received full banker boxes that were fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1808 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When was that wilsonwu?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5576 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I got another one 2004 it would grade MS63. I now have a full set, I'm exchanging rolls looking for 2020 coins and only change 2 rolls of toonies at a time.

Oh and that's from 4 different banks.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polymer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up 2 rolls of twonies from my bank and found one fake dated 2005. Also stopped at the local grocery store and got 2 twonies in change, one of them a 2006 fake. I now have a full set too, including both 2004 and 2005 "Montreal Mint" coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1808 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty to you both.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8344 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here on the western edge I buy 5 or 6 rolls a month and haven't found any, I know it's a very small sample.
How far west or east have any of these been found?
Do they seem to be distributed in central Canada only?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1808 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 54M ago  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave I have had 3 reports of examples showing up in Vancouver. Seems light there. MM
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3839 Posts
 Posted Today  5H 28M ago  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun I went through our flea market cash box which had a
Bucket load of toonies in it ( hasn't been touched since last year due to
our market closed thanks to Covid) .
Did not find any counterfeits thank goodness.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
763 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 45M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't run into any yet, but my daughter tells me they are aware of them at her Canadian Tire store. Got stung with a roll. Central Ontario region. She said the Manager just fluffed it off. She knows what to look for and is spreading the news. One of these days, they will get caught.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
859 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 18M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also went through my change jars, had 226 toonies and found none.
Probably because I haven't added to it since COVID started.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
92 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 3M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, those started to be found around oct, nov dec 2020
Edited by Castor sous
Today 1H 3M ago
Page: of 10
Replies: 138 / Views: 13,018Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05