Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Skyline Coins Reputation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 16,242Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone with experience buying from Skyline Coins. I bought a few Morgans and wasn't impressed with what I received. All look as if they could have been dipped and plenty of fine hairline scratches (I believe to be scratches). Luster appears to be impaired, but does have some.

One out of the five coins (1904) I am thinking of keeping.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20716 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of them. Might be worth a try to call them and express your concerns. You never know it may have been done in error and they could possibly be willing to do something about it all. Keep us informed.
just carl
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What were grades and prices? If they were bargain priced uncs, you can bet they were intentionally overgraded aus.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They we're represented as premium brilliant uncirculated.

Priced from $60 - $80 each for five. Total was around $350. They weren't getting rich off the deal, but each had a surface void of any real patina from a few years of existence. All looked to be bright silver, almost reflective ... but without any cartwheel or minimal cartwheel.

I sent them back for a refund. We'll see if they step up and do so without much trouble.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2011  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"premium brilliant uncirculated" is also known as BS-50. No legitimate dealer would use such a "grade".
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2011  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NicO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Seems like a poor dealer if you ask me, especially if you're only keeping a fifth of the coins you ordered. My opinion, stay away from dealers like this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20716 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2011  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Priced from $60 - $80 each for five. Total was around $350. They weren't getting rich off the deal, but each had a surface void of any real patina from a few years of existence

Maybe not on you but multiply that sale by about a thousand. Even if only a few hundred, maybe not rich, but surely worth a try.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Skyline took care of the credit to my AMEX without any issues. I usually buy with AMEX in case a merchant chooses to be difficult ... they seem to have a way with getting things settled w/o a lot of drama.

I'll give their marketing strategy a 2, but customer service an 8.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2012  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add donniebarn1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a 48 coin Morgan starter set from Skyline Coins in Nov 2011 for $2,395. The price included 2 nice new Dansco albums, and I am pleased as punch with the set. I have continued to buy the pricier dates from Skyline (although I like Netherlands Rare Coins better), and a pleased with them as well. I talk with them while ordering, and once they said most of their "premium brilliant uncirculated" coins grade MS-60, and I agree with that. I am not a professional grader, but I've been attempting it for over 40 years. Of the initial 48 dollars I received, I would grade 41 of them MS-60, 2 at MS-62, 4 at MS-63, and 3 at AU 58. Slyline had written "AU" on the 2X2 folder of one of the AU's, so I don't think they are out to get us. It is true that they all had excellent luster, so were all "brilliant", and not a speck of toning was on any of them.
However, I bought some BU large cents and Half Cents from Skyline, and they look excellent, almost too good. Their prices are in the AU - MS-60 range, so that is great. I searched "Skyline Coins" tonight to see if anyone had any experience with UNC Half Cents and large cents. I couldn't imagine them selling fakes. Whatcha think? Don
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't overwhelmed with the Morgans I received, but they took care of the return.

I can't say I'm setting any standards in the grading arena, however the coins I received appeared to have been heavily dipped and a few were possibly AU not BU.

Given they were common type dates, I just couldn't justify the price albeit they weren't crazy high. Maybe twenty to thirty percent higher than what I valued them at.
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To put it quite bluntly, Run Away! I purchased a few Indian cents and early Lincoln cents jut to give them a try. The coins were all gold plated. Yes they have great details but the plating makes them virtually worthless. I only spent about $100 so no great loss, but Never Again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 16,242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: