Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1928 Hawaiian

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,596Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6392 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I'd start posting some coins from my classic US Commemorative collection...

Up first, my 1928 Hawaiian in PCGS MS-65. The coin is brilliant with nice cartwheel luster on both sides -- the scanned images do not do the piece justice. It is also free of any significant marks.

The coin was an upgrade from a PCGS MS-63, and while I maintain that my 63 was an excellent coin for its grade, this 65 has a nicer overall "look" and better luster.

Read More: Commems Collection

The Juliette May Fraser designed coin is generally considered the key to the commemorative half dollar type set with a mintage of 9,958; the sculpted models for the coin were executed by Chester Beach. The coin marks the 150th anniversary of Captain Cook's 1778 discovery of what would become the Hawaiian Islands. (We won't quibble over the fact that Cook "discovered" a set of islands on which folks already lived!)

Enjoy!

1928 Hawaiian - Obverse

1928 Hawaiian - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it! but tell me, what are you going to do for an encore? An MS-66 Pan-Pac $50 piece :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6376 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great Hawaiian half, very hard to find in high grades. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6392 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cc99999: I'll roll out a few 66s and 67s in the coming days/weeks, but I'll have to keep you in suspense for now!
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you have any way of cropping the coin bigger. i'd love to see it in all its glory.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw one of these that looked to be a MS63-64 in my untrained eye at auction a couple weeks ago. It went for $1,200. If I had the money I wouldn't bid the buyer up to $2,000 I think. It's a nice coin.
Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thought I'd start posting some coins from my classic US Commemorative collection...

Up first, my 1928 Hawaiian in PCGS MS-65.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7221 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely stunning Hawaiian. This coin has the surfaces and the 'look' that I am after as well for an upgrade to my set. I suppose it is stunning in hand.

Going to be tough to top this one commems ... but I suspect you have some lovely surprises waiting for us ...

Can't wait to see them.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a start like that, I am eager to see what you have to show us next.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is our small group of commen-aholics growing or rather becoming evident? It's a beautiful example of the rarest of the rare. I'm still struggling with that one and the Spanish Trail. I seem to have become sidetracked or ADHD!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7221 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at your other offerings ... wondering if you considered submitting this lovely Hawaiian to CAC for their review? Or perhaps you have?

I know ... there are wide opinions on what CAC brings to the market ... not here to debate them now ... but for a $5K+ coin such as this ... it does IMHO add value.

FWIW ... my PCGS MS64 Hawaiian was 'rejected' by CAC ... one of the many upgrades I need to the set.

Again ... lovely coin commems.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. What do you do with your extras after you have upgraded it?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05