Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,750Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  8:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, time for one more today...

Here's my 1915-S Panama Pacific Exposition in PCGS MS-65. It took me some time to find an upgrade for the MS-64 coin I had, as many of the MS-65 coins I looked at had spotty, unattractive coloring or poor luster (many appear dull and lifeless). The piece shown here is nice and clean and almost seems to shimmer. I really enjoy rotating the coin and watch as the luster rotates through the rising sun's rays on the obverse.

Read More: Commems Collection

Definitely a classic design, featuring Columbia on the obverse (courtesy of Charles Barber) and a US shield surmounted by an eagle on the reverse (the work of George Morgan). The 1864 Two Cent Piece was the first US circulation coin to include the "In God We Trust" motto, but the 1915-S PanPac is the first commemorative coin to include it.

Enjoy!

1915-S Panama Pacific Exposition: Obverse

1915-S Panama Pacific Exposition: Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another wonderful coin, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is without a doubt, my favorite silver classic commemorative. It's bathed in Art Nouveau and is positively gorgeous. Did you get the smaller gold pieces too? The quarter eagle is so cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9750 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What a beautiful piece of history. You've got some great looking commemoratives.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another outstanding coin indeed commems.

I've often wondered how Charles Barber ... known IMHO for his rather pedestrian designs of circulating coinage ... had the vision to create this spectacular obverse design ... Columbia sharing her call with the rising sun while a (naked mind you) cherub holds forth a cornucopia filled with the bounty of the new continent.

To your coin ... lovely.

Note that I have never seen an original surfaces Pan-Pacific half without the ring toning that appears on your coin ... as it appears as well on my PCGS example.

This is indeed a tough coin in the grade and eye-appeal you have posted ... very nice choice I say.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice classic design and well done.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,750Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05