Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1937 Roanoke Colony

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,856Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  07:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'll keep the "Carolina" theme going and follow up yesterday's Columbia, South Carolina commem, with the North Carolina themed 1937 Roanoke Colony in PCGS MS-66.

The coin commemorates the 350th anniversary of the short-lived 1587 English colony at Roanoke Island, NC as well as the first child of English descent born in America -- Virginia Dare. The settlement came to be known as the "Lost Colony" when the original settlers were nowhere to be found when supply ships returned in 1590. What happened to the settlers has never been fully determined, though a plausible scenario has emerged (see thelostcolony.org for more information).

Read More: Commems Collection

The obverse features a portrait of Sir Walter Raleigh, the sponsor of the colonization attempt, while the reverse portrays Eleanor Dare holding the infant Virginia. The coin was designed by William Marks Simpson who also designed the 1936 Norfolk, VA commemorative half dollar.

The coin presented is a brilliant, fully lustrous example with great eye appeal. The coin is definitely available in higher mint state grades (65, 66) at reasonable prices, so it's worth taking the time to examine a good number of coins to find one that is outstanding -- no need to settle!

Enjoy!

1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary -- Obverse

1937 Roanoke Colony 350th Anniversary -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, your collection is ridiculous. It is amazing to me that you have acquired such nice examples.
The best part of your collection (besides the beautiful coins) is your appreciation for the history each represents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great looking Walt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins and it's a pleasure to find another collector who appreciates the history and connections behind them.

Your Roanoke Island Half commems is a spectacular example.

Looking forward to whatever else you have to show us.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these old commens. Great collection you have. I wish the modern commens would be more like this. Dont get me wrong I like some of the moderns a good number of designs dont do what it is representing justice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HONDO: Thank you for the positive feedback on the coins I've been displaying. It has been much fun putting the set together over the years. I have as much fun, however, learning about each of the coins and their subject of commemoration. The story behind each of the commems is what got me interested in collecting the set when I returned to coin collecting as an adult.
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I live in NC, I had to buy one too. I bought it a few years ago. It is a really nice design too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,856Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05