Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,415Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  9:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Next up is the 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial in PCGS MS-65.

The coin commemorates the 150th anniversary of the first military engagements between the American colonial militia forces and the British Army regulars, first in Lexington, then in Concord and then again as the British left Concord and headed back to Boston through Lexington (all in Massachusetts) -- it was the start of the American Revolutionary War.

The obverse of the coin depicts Daniel Chester French's Minute Man statue; it was unveiled at the Centennial (1875) commemoration of the battles. The reverse shows the Old Belfry in Lexington; the bell in the Old Belfry was used to call the local militia to arms. Chester Beach was the designer of the coin.

Read More: Commems Collection

With a net mintage of roughly 162,000, the coin is readily available and inexpensive in grades AU through MS-64 -- the price break occurs at MS-65.

I'm very disappointed in the scanned images presented below as they really don't reflect the brilliant, blast white, cartwheel luster of this coin. In hand, it's "Wow!" (I really have to get a digital camera!)

Enjoy!

1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial -- Obverse

1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this coin and the history that it represents. Truly one of the best commens in my opinion. Actually just picked up one of those not to long ago.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding ... even if a scanned image.

I can only imagine how this coin looks in hand.

Interesting tidbit is Chester Beach involvement with the design of this coin ... he (Mr. Beach) being one of my favorite designers in the classic commemorative series.

History records that separate committees from both Lexington and Concord were pushing to have a commemorative made ... and unknown to each other, both contacted Chester Beach to prepare the designs for submission to the Commission of Fine Arts.

Beach resolved this dilemma by asking both committees to pay 1/2 of his fee ... and designed the obverse for the Concord committee ... and the reverse for the Lexington committee.

Today we have the Lexington-Concord half dollar ... a commemorative that actually commemorates an event of national significance.

Thanks for sharing your quality coins commems.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel that is a very interesting tidbit I did not know. Just thinking about what the coin represents sends chills up my back
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great coin! I enjoy reading your details on them too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05