Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iphone + Loupe = Success!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 7,530Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1101 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  6:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought I'd share! If you hold your loupe over your iPhone camera, it takes an AWESOME picture! I am sure someone else has already done this.. but I was so impressed I had to share! LOL

here is an example...

Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am continually impressed by the iPhone's camera.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4917 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which iPhone do you have?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1101 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the 4S. I am a die hard apple fan..I'm sure the 4 would work just as well!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4132 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All my pictures are taken with a loupe held up to my Droid's camera.

Edited by CaptainFwiffo
04/14/2012 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1101 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show off! Lol I'm kidding. Hold on I have a 2012 right here. Let me try!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1101 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is much better than my attempt lol. What loupe are you using?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4917 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's the 4S.

I also use the 4s. The camera is great, and can take decent pictures of entire coins.

For example, I just took this picture a while ago.

The lighting is not great, but the actual picture is better than a lot on eBay.

Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the kids took this using the telescope and camera and lining it all up, not an easy feat I found out when I tried.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4132 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am using some cheap Chinese loupes I got on Amazon. A package of three for seven dollars.

Mostly it takes a lot of practice and fussing with lighting.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4917 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
joeturbo26, do you hold your phone when you take the picture? Or do you put it on something?

I haven't tried this yet, but I think if I hold my phone my hands will shake and I will get a blurry picture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4132 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to get close when you're doing this, so you can brace your hands on the surface the coin is on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol I thought I was the only one who tried that with the camera and the telescope. All my pics I use my Samsung galaxy s2 with the macro setting and also a magnifying app that works pretty good.

Edited by daniels
04/15/2012 03:16 am
Valued Member
South Africa
105 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add R-Dawkins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i took an old lens from a broken cd/dvd drive.. hold it against the iphone camera with tape and you get an AMAZING macro effect. You have to try it to believe it..

I have an iphone 3g so pics look a bit crappy, I told a friend of mine who tried it with his iphone 4s.. it was unbelievable good.

some pics I took.. (keep in mind that this is with just an iphone 3g and the lens from an old cd drive with no daylight but just from the 100w light in my bedroom ceiling)

An ant

the stalk from a clover leaf

Lettering from a South African 2 Rand coin..

The "Trust" part from in god we trust from a 1797 fantasy Trade dollar (don't ask)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@R-Dawkins - Don't worry. It's ok: http://fakes.numismetrica.com/2012/...1-1797-0001/ ;-)
Valued Member
South Africa
105 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add R-Dawkins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
haha.. it was when I first started.. was very naive.. although I really like the way the coin looks. :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 7,530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05