Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,689Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  7:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today's installment features the 1936 half-dollar marking the centennial of the Wisconsin Territory, shown here via an example in PCGS MS-65.

The classic US commemorative series includes multiple coins that mark statehood anniversaries (e.g., Alabama, California, Illinois, Missouri, etc.) and early settlements/foundings (e.g., Delaware, Long Island, Maryland, Pilgrim, etc.), but it features only one coin to mark an anniversary of a pre-statehood Territory -- the 1936 Wisconsin.

At the time of its creation in July 1836, the Wisconsin Territory occupied a much larger area than present-day Wisconsin, it also included what is now Minnesota and Iowa, as well as portions of North and South Dakota.

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin features elements of the first Great Seal of the Wisconsin Territory on its obverse, namely, an arm holding a pickaxe with a pile of lead ore in the background; a new Seal was adopted in 1839. The original Seal was designed by the First Secretary of the Territory, the Honorable John S. Horner. The reverse of the coin features a badger on a log with arrows (left) and an olive branch (right) behind it; the badger has been the official state animal since 1957, but important to Wisconsin residents since its beginnings. The arrows symbolize the pre-territory clashes settlers had with the indigenous Blackhawk Native Americans, while the olive branch is meant to represent the eventual peace between them.

The basic design for the coin was suggested by the Wisconsin Centennial Commission. Models for the coin were first prepared by David Parsons, a local university art student, but were redone by Benjamin Hawkins after Parsons' models were rejected by the Commission of Fine Arts.

A total of 25,000 coins were struck -- all at Philadelphia -- with none returned to the Mint for melting. The coins were sold for $1.50 each. The coin presented is brilliant, flashy and has nice original surfaces. As with a number of my coins, higher grade coins can be purchased for just a little more but I like the "look" of this one and will likely keep it long-term as part of my set.

In addition to the half-dollar, the Wisconsin Centennial, Inc. had struck 1,500 bronze medals for the centennial; they sold for $1.00. A choice example is shown below in its original holder.

Enjoy!

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial -- Obverse

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial -- Reverse

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial Medal -- Obverse

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial Medal -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why you like this MS65 example ... a lovely well struck coin with full luster ... gorgeous.

This is indeed a quality coin ... and your tremendous expanded set of related ephemera continues to inspire awe.

Thanks for sharing.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another fantastic coin. I really like the design of the front of the coin.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Love the coin and the medal. Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I now know that this coin has ties to three states that I have lived in (Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin). This is a good reason to add it to my list of possible coins for the 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lettering on the coin makes it look very nice!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05