Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial, Pln

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,656Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  7:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight we revisit the state of Missouri and the celebration of its statehood centennial. In my last post, we took a look at the ˜2*4 variety of the coin, this time out we have a quick look at the ‘Plain' variety via an example in PCGS MS-64.

The ˜Plain designation refers to the fact that the obverse does not include an incuse ˜2*4 to the left of the obverse portrait; the ˜2*4 signified Missouri's admission as the 24th state of the Union. As much of the original Missouri post remains relevant, I offer a link to it here vs. a repeat of its content: http://goccf.com/t/115710

I do want to revisit the previous discussion of the coin's design, however, with some supplemental information and a correction...

Read More: Commems Collection

The Robert Aiken designs that would ultimately appear on the Missouri half-dollar were not the first or only designs considered. James Montgomery, Chairman of the Missouri Centennial Exposition, in a letter to Charles Moore, Chairman of the Commission of Fine Arts, suggested for the obverse a "standing figure of Daniel Boone, coon skin cap, deer skin clothes, with an Indian sitting at his feet...[and for the reverse]...the Great Seal of the State of Missouri."

Aiken sketched Montgomery's design suggestions, along with one that featured two allegorical figures (one figure being Lady Liberty and the other symbolizing Missouri) and several variations of the approved obverse and revers designs.

In my original post, I questioned whether the portrait on the obverse and the frontiersman figure on the reverse were meant to be Daniel Boone, and suggested that "generic" frontiersmen were more likely due to Boone having weak ties to Missouri (vs. Kentucky). After a review of the correspondence related to the coin, it is clear that it was in fact Daniel Boone being depicted on the coin -- mea culpa!

I close with the same thoughts as in my ‘2x4' post: "The coin shown here is a blast white coin with good cartwheel luster (seems like I say that a lot!). It is on my list for upgrade, but I will need to find one that clearly beats this one in eye appeal before I spend the significant amount needed to own an MS-65 example."

Enjoy!

1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial, Plain Variety -- Obverse

1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial, Plain Variety -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Robert Aitken designed coin has always impressed with it's high relief and wide rims ... in hand it appears very solid ... if that is a numismatic term I can use.

You have it correct commems ... Boone is featured on both the obverse and reverse of your lovely Missouri ... so just for fun ... an accounting of the Daniel Boone images on USA classic commemorative ...

1921 Missouri 'Plain' and '2x4' ... 4 Boone.
1934 - 1938 Boone ... 16 coins ... both obverse and reverse ... 32 Boone.

Sooo ... 36 total Daniel Boone appearances in the classic USA silver commemorative set.

Interesting to note as well that Augustus Lukeman subsequent design of the Boone half dollar used the same general motif as your Missouri ... Boone on the obverse and Boone standing next to an Indian on the reverse.

Your MS64 'plain' Missouri is an excellent example of a very difficult coin ... most were sold to the general public and often circulated once the novelty wore off .... hence choice/gem MS examples are prized today.

The limited toning seen in the obverse legend AMERICA ... and the reverse field toning/haze to the right of the Boone figure is a bit distracting to my eye ... but consistent with a PCGS MS64 example of this tough coin.

With a net distribution of 20,400 coins for both the 'plain' and '2x4' ... this is a coin that is tough to come by in any grade ... and intersting to note that circulated examples are not that difficult to find ... hence my lovely XF40 Missouri half.

Your set is amazing commems ... and I am very much enjoying the history of the coins as shared in your knowledgable words.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love (well like a lot) this one... I have a "toned" one that I sent to NCS for conservation and then on to NGC for grading. It came back "UNC Cleaned".. duh!! NCS had the first shot at it. There wasn't a mark on it before I sent it off. Looks like a left hand/right hand issue to me! Anyway, I'm looking for a bright white replacement and plan to go on the hunt at the Dalton GA coin show this week. Also on the list are the ever painful Hawaiian and Spanish Trail (my final two of the series). Wish me luck!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wish me luck!!

Best of wishes to you PG ... you breadth of collecting interests .. and the fine coins you have shown as a result of that knowledgeable interest ... are amazing to me.

I have no doubt that you will eventually find the proper final coins for this lovely set ...

Then we will have a CCF party in your honor.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wish me luck!!

Absolutely! You've got a nice little shopping list there -- should be a fun day of searching! Best of luck! Look forward to the pictures of the results of your hunt!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin and good luck!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05