Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 10 Cents "Shark Fin" Die Clash, Die Crack

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
115 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  3:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Terry-T to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You never know what might be lurking in wavy hair !

Reverse of same coin;

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strong error, and the coin looks in great shape, too. I agree with kuh_85 -- that's a nice one, Terry!
Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collector67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Terry. I just picked this one up this morning Buy it now look by the R in Victoia.

Valued Member
Canada
229 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2012  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collector67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry I have an 1858 with a similar shark fin look but it's orientated more towards 12 o clock and it points to the middle of the T and the die crack on the reverse, goes through the bow on the right. Hope the makes sense I'll try to post pictures later.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tothesz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Members,

I am new to this great community. I recently bought my second 1858 10 Cents coin.
Is that normal to have some kind of "mint error" at top of the crown? Both of my coins have clash/crash or what it is called.
They do not seem fake ones, even the weights are correct. 2.27 and 2.29 grams.
Would you be able to give me some idea/recommendation, please?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Kindest regards,
Greg

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7478 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both your coins have die cracks.
Quite common.
Adds to interest but not value.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tothesz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, DBM!
I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Greg
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't put that dime away yet. Sometimes die cracks can be markers for other things going on on a coin.
The coin I showed in the original post has a die crack exactly like one you show. I bought that coin in an eBay auction with unclear photos (crack apparent but letters on the obverse were too blurry to be sure so took a chance), because I already had one with the same crack, which just happens to have the DA of CANADA doubled (Charlton 2011, pg.43). Sure enough, the second one does have the doubled letters (although its ADA, plus the D in DEI, plus the first A in GRATIA on both coins).
Check your coin if it also has the doubling. One of mine has the die clash "shark's fin", the other doesn't.
The doubled DA is also on the 8/5 variety which is worth mucho bucks. It seems there is a different die crack that is the marker for that error/variety.

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tothesz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Terry,

Please see the back of the coin. This is the one which has the same crack than yours. I can not judge it 100%.

Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it does have the crooked D in CANADA, it doesn't look like it has the doubling. What does the obverse on the other coin look like ?
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tothesz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the second one. This one is a little bit higher grade, I reckon.
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, no double letters that I can see. Check under the TI of GRATIA - may be an illusion but it could be another shark fin.
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05