Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Postscript

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 999Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  9:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
And so, with my post on the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial coin, my series of posts on the classic US silver commemorative coin series has come to an end -- though I've two or three related topics I'll post over the coming week.

55 posts over 66 days -- I want to thank everyone for indulging me as I moved through the coins in my collection. I know my content-heavy posts were not to the liking of everyone who visits CCF, I'll do my best to use a more "show-and-tell" format in the future. To those who enjoyed the "extra" words, I'm happy to have provided them. And to those who took the time to post feedback and/or additional content, I offer my sincere thanks and appreciation.

Read More: Commems Collection

I certainly realize that there are many places to go on the web for information about the classic US commemorative series (including links right here on CCF). My intent was not to create a definitive new resource, but rather just to share my enthusiasm for the series with fellow collectors. I enjoyed preparing the short narratives (OK, some were long!) that accompanied the images of my coins (and related medals and ephemera) -- I guess it's the teacher in me!

I would be remiss if I did not mention that as I prepared the content for my posts, I found that I referenced the following with good frequency:

Swiatek, Anthony. Commemorative Coins of the United States: Identification and Price Guide, Second Edition. Amos Press Inc.: Sidney, OH. 2001.
Taxay, Don. An Illustrated History of U.S. Commemorative Coinage. ARCO Publishing Company, Inc. New York, NY. 1967.

I would heartily receommend both for your library. I'll discuss others in a future post.

In addition, I consulted the " Red Book" and the more than three dozen reports/publications I have in my library from the original sponsors of the various commemorative coins.

One last thing...

@jbuck -- you responded to quite a few of my posts with the comment that the coin under discussion was one you were considering for your Dansco album -- pulled the trigger on any yet?!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the very detailed and informative posts on the coins. I learned a ton on them.

And I added both books to my library. I got them on Amazon at a used price of around $10 each and that included shipping. A great deal for two great books that have timeless info in them.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know my content-heavy posts were not to the liking of everyone who visits CCF, I'll do my best to use a more "show-and-tell" format in the future. To those who enjoyed the "extra" words, I'm happy to have provided them.
I am sure there are more who enjoyed the extra words than those who did not.

Quote:
@jbuck -- you responded to quite a few of my posts with the comment that the coin under discussion was one you were considering for your Dansco album -- pulled the trigger on any yet?!
No, not yet.

Buying opportunities are minimal for me. Over the last few years I have only bought coins at the local coin show, which has gone from being four times yearly to only two. There are some regional shows that I have tried to attend over the past few years (one is coming up in a couple of weeks), but I have yet to make the journey. I do a lot of looking here on CCF and on eBay, but I have yet to take that plunge.

There is only one open commemorative half dollar hole in my 7070, so choosing just one coin is obviously difficult. I have a feeling that the ultimate solution is to start a custom commemorative half dollar set. You have certainly not helped to talk me out of it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say that the combined series of posts that you have so generously shared should be compiled into a reference book commems.

You have taught us many things ... gain knowledge ... explore the periphery ... enjoy the coins not the grade.

I say to all that your total collection of coins, ephemera and knowledge are without peer amongst your humble and inspired CCF friends. Truly .... a museum quality collection.

I will miss your frequent coins and wonderful history ...

I offer a tip of my cap to you ...

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had fun sharing your posts with my hubby. I think Oregon may be the first one we shoot for when the time is right. Please don't be a stranger!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 999Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05