Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Classic Commemoratives "Did You Know?" #13

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,610Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Almost all of the classic silver commemoratives are devoid of rim treatments, i.e., denticles or beads. Just six (maybe eight) issues feature some sort of design element at the coin's rim.

In keeping with the current circulating silver coins at the time (Barbers and Morgans), the first three classic series commemoratives -- 1893-93 Columbian half-dollar, 1893 Isabella quarter-dollar and 1900 Lafayette dollar -- all had rim denticles on their obverse and reverse.

The next coin to have a rim "treatment" of some sort was the 1918 Illinois which featured an alternating series of what has been called "beads and pellets."

The 1928 Hawaiian featured an unusual obverse rim design element -- a continuous series of small waves.

The last classic commemorative to use a rim treatment was the 1938 New Rochelle, which featured rim denticles.

So, that makes six coins with some sort of design element at the rim. My two "maybe" coins? The 1923 Monroe Doctrine and 1935 Old Spanish Trail half-dollars, each features a thin raised line just inside the rim that encircles the main design elements. I'll leave it to you to decide if you'd include these pieces in your commemorative "rim" set!

While many of the commemorative half-dollars featured rather busy designs that would have made it hard to fit rim treatments onto the coin, it was more likely the case that the commemoratives were just following the "modern" trend of plain rims seen on the new US circulating coinage of the era -- neither the Lincoln cent, Buffalo nickel, Liberty Head (Mercury) dime, Washington quarter-dollar, Walking Liberty half-dollar or Peace dollar featured anything at their rims.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2012  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20072 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First coin: There is no known authentic picture of Christopher Colombus.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting and very nice coins.
Learn More...
United States
116466 Posts
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Good reads. Do you know if their are any differences in the 92 & 93 Columbians that you could use to tell dateless ones apart such as the VAMS in Morgan dollars?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8080 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed ... another fabulous post sharing your tremendous knowledge of the set ... Thanks commems for your continued contributions.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you know if their are any differences in the 92 & 93 Columbians that you could use to tell dateless ones apart such as the VAMS in Morgan dollars?

There are none, other than the date on them.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the rims on those first coins. That said I am very happy it didnt continue throughout the whole series
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2012  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great post (I have fallen behind in my reading but hitting your posts religiously!).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinsKelly: I'm glad you are enjoying the posts! I'll do my best to keep 'em coming!

@ArrowsAndRays: Happy to do so!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2012  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another great post that taught me something I did not know about early commems.
You have some great coins in you collection for sure.
I also own coins 1,2 and 3 and in almost the same grades.
Very vice collection you have for sure.
Again thank you for taking the time to share with all of us here
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,610Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: