Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Classic Commemoratives "Did You Know?" #18

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,628Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Though not officially acknowledged by the US Mint as a design reference, the obverse of Peter Krider's 1881 Yorktown Surrender Centennial medal is considered by many students of the US commemorative series to have had a very direct influence on Charles Barber's design for the obverse of the 1900 Lafayette silver dollar. Both pieces feature conjoined portraits of Washington and Lafayette, with Washington in the foreground.

I've looked for a reasonable example of the Yorktown medal for a number of years while attending coin shows or reviewing catalogs of upcoming medal auctions. Several that I've encountered struck me as being aggressively over-priced and so did not make it into my collection.

Recently, however, I participated in a mail bid auction from a dealer specializing in tokens and medals and wound up winning the medal shown below for a very reasonable price; from the price I paid, it appears to me that the bidding on the medal was limited.

The medal shown is a white metal example, the medal is also available in copper, bronze and lead; white metal examples appear to be the least scarce based on my own experiences. The piece is just over 50mm in diameter and is 5mm at the rim; you can see in the images below (especially the obverse) that the medal is struck in fairly high-relief.

The reverse of the medal depicts British Lieutenant General Lord Cornwallis' surrender to General George Washington (on horseback).

I've included an image of the obverse of the 1900 Lafayette dollar below for comparison with the medal. I'll leave it to you to decide how much Barber "borrowed" from Krider!

Enjoy!

1881 Yorktown Surrender Medal -- Obverse

1881 Yorktown Surrender Medal -- Reverse

1900 Lafayette Silver Dollar - Obverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll leave it to you to decide how much Barber "borrowed" from Krider!

I am pretty sure I would have received a failing grade for submitting such work when I was in school. Is there a place on the coin for a footnote crediting the original source?

As always, thanks for the great lesson commems
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
History lesson # 18. Love it commems!
Gorgeous coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1052 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are various prices you have found for the Yorktown medal? I can imagine it's several times more than the Lafayette.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joseph_curwen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plagiarism at its finest. I have read a bit about the Lafayette Dollar, but have never seen any mention of the Yorktown medal. Well done and thanks for sharing.

-Joseph Curwen, Gent.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geepers ... another very well researched and presented story that shares some important insights behind the USA commemorative series.

Congratulations to you for acquiring the 1881 Yorktown medal that you obviously searched a while for.

I say that Mr. Barber borrowed quite a bit indeed.

Thank You commems for the continued sharing and valued education.

When are you going to publish the book ... I will be customer #1.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What are various prices you have found for the Yorktown medal? I can imagine it's several times more than the Lafayette.

You should be able to find a Yorktown medal in reasonable condition for somewhere in the $200 to $300 range for a white metal example. A copper/bronze example will generally be a bit more; the lead version is very scarce and tougher to price as they seldom appear.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2012  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting comparison.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2012  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most interesting read. Was it noy common place for coin designers to borrow from others work?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,628Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: