Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Gettysburg Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,832Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2012  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At my local coin club's annual show a couple of weeks back, I mounted an exhibit on US commemorative coins with a Civil War theme. I included the two varieties of the 1922 Grant Memorial, the 1925 Stone Mountain, the 1936 Gettysburg, the 1937 Antietam and the three 1995 Civil War Battlefields coins.

In case you are wondering, I did not include the 1918 Lincoln-Illinois Statehood Centennial half-dollar because while Lincoln was clearly a key figure in the Civil War, the 1918 coin, and his image on it, was not intended to mark anything related to the Civil War.

I pulled out some related ephemera for the classic pieces I exhibited and thought I'd share a piece related to the Gettysburg coin that I did not include in my original post. http://goccf.com/t/116536 )

Read More: Commems Collection

The Battle of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary half-dollar was authorized in 1936, but was struck in 1937 with a ‘1936' date. All a bit out of sync as the battle being commemorated occurred on 1-3 July 1863, so 1938 was the actual 75th anniversary. The coin was designed by Frank Vittor. The Pennsylvania State Commission, sponsor of the coin, had hoped to have it struck at each of the three US mints, but only Philadelphia-struck coins were produced (net mintage = 26,900).

The primary celebration for the battle's anniversary in 1938 was the Blue and Gray Reunion that was held in Gettysburg. Shown below is a promotional brochure about the reunion, it features a nice illustration of the Gettysburg half-dollar with its selling price of $1.65.

I try always to add these types of pieces to my collection when I get the chance -- I believe they "round out" my collection!

Enjoy!

1936 Battle of Gettysburg Half-Dollar -- Obverse

1936 Battle of Gettysburg Half-Dollar -- Reverse

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Front Panel

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Interior-Left Panel

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Interior-Center Panel

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Interior-Right Panel

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Interior Flap Panel

1938 Blue & Gray Reunion Promotional Brochure -- Back Panel

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/01/2012 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I truly wish I were there commems to see your exhibit at the local coin club annual show.

Your knowledge of the series and amazing collection of coins and related ephemera are world-class indeed.

Thanks for another valued post.

David

Edioted fore spllenging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
08/01/2012 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
561 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems

I haven't been on the forum much the last week or so and I have truly missed having the time to read your posts. Keep'em coming!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2012  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That promotional brochure was a good read. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice exibit thanks for posting this I found it to be most interesting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,832Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05