Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Loose Eisenhower Dollar Hunting

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2012  4:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I would start the thread for Eisenhower loose hunting, since coming across rolls seems awfully rare, at least in my area.

here's my first post:

Picked up $200 in Gem BU condition IKEs on Friday at my coin dealer's, mostly 1971 and 1972. Gonna put 2 rolls of each in storage and sell the rest.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2012  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience finding rolls of Eisenhower dollars at the bank is rare but I have found 4 or 5 over the years and I mean probably 15 years ago or more. Sometimes I find em at the banks I go to because they know that I will take all of their odd coins weather or not I need em. Thats why they save em for me. Only once did I find any silver and that was in two rolls 15 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I figured it would be next to impossible to find silver in Ikes. It's kind of something I do whenever I go to a bank, I ask for "the big dollars...Eisenhowers" from the tellers, along with any halves, rolled or loose. No one ever gave me a roll of Ikes, but I did pick up $52 in one bank.

Best ever was my coin dealer's shop, as listed above.
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2012  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i got 135 of them at a bank in knoxville tn last year.ve got around 100 at banks around town in the last few years. later greg
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The banks I go to,they dont like these coins! Actually I dont either! Its probably the only US coin I dont collect. But to each his own.Good luck with your hunt!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver halves (Ikes, JFKs or others) are rarer in my area than honest politicians. I've gone through more rolls of halves than I want to remember; total silver found = zilch. Silver halves left the building long before I got here and started looking for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1769 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most ikes I pulled from a bank was 54 I still have them
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you like my Ikes, JBuck! Pics came from an iPhone! Very Clear!

I always liked the Ike, even though it really has not much investment value. I'm just putting together a Dansco of BU's, and keeping a few rolls of this cache.

I don't want to dump them, they're so clean!

I'd like to trade or offer to CCF for sale, but I don't have enough posts yet...

Monks, any good ones?
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Girlfriend brought home a 1976-P Ike from the Credit Union today. Her teller saves all the dollar coins just for her. I asked my GF to just buy all the coins rather than have the teller try to remember specific coins to save. I can always take the coins back to another bank or use them to stuff in plastic Easter eggs. This is the only Ike I have, other than the 3-peice 1976 Silver Proof Set my Brother just bought me for my BD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2012  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfhunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I scored 100$ in ikes about 3 weeks ago. No silver or proofs. I got coins from all all years except 1973. Out of the 35 or so 1976, I got 3 or 4 type 2 mixed in.

Iv got about 150$ in ikes now, just sitting on them when I get them.

I bought my last coin needed for my dansco this past weekend, the 1973 silver proof BU. I need to uograde about 10 of the clad coins of the 32, then I will be done with the set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2012  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my collecting the main American current coins, I haven't gotten into buying needed hole fillers yet. I realize there are some you'll probably never find in the wild. But for me, all the fun is in the hunt.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2013  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MadMortician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snatched up two today from a drawer, including 6 Susan Bs.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yvairguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last month I have picked up about 200 in Ike's, the last 14 the teller said hey I saved these for you, I got to start taking in some boxes of candy or something for these gals
Pillar of the Community
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find and acquire them with relative frequency. Over the years, I've probably found $5k plus in ikes, and also have found multiple moragns, peace, and 40% ikes. It's still out there!
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yvairguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to hit a SILVER dollar, if I could find someone that can order from the fed I would be those over halves.
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05