Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1927 Vermont Half-Dollar Recall Story

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,435Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  7:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few of the classic commemorative coins I've purchased over the years have been accompanied by some type of "paper" that added to my enjoyment of it. For some, it was an original order form or promotional piece, other times it was an original mailer/holder. One time, however, the coin came with a small newspaper clipping that the coin's original owner had taken from the Tuesday December 11, 1928 edition of the Rutland Daily Herald. The newspaper was founded in 1794 and still publishes a daily edition; it is the oldest family-owned newspaper in the US.

As you may have guessed, the coin in question is a 1927 Battle of Bennington / Vermont Independence Sesquicentennial half-dollar. The coin had passed through several hands before I purchased it, but fortunately the small clipping had been passed along each time and now is part of my collection. It's always nice when dealers appreciate the significance of items such as this among collectors and make the effort to preserve them. I thought other "students" of the series might enjoy reading this bit of first-hand commemorative history.

According to US Mint reports, of the 40,000 pieces struck, the final number of half-dollars returned and melted was 11,892. I wonder how many of the coins that remained in Vermont banks on December 11, 1928 were sold prior to the January 1, 1929 cut-off?

Enjoy!

1927 Bennington-Vermont Half-Dollar Obverse

1927 Bennington-Vermont Half-Dollar Reverse

1928 Newspaper Clipping

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing that this newspaper clipping was saved ... and very appreciate that you shared it with us.

Of course ... always enjoy another opportunity to view one of your fabulous MS coins ... they never fail to disappoint ... just like your posts.

David

Edited for spllnhening
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
09/04/2012 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good lesson on a coin series that is moving up on my list.
I enjoy your posts a lot and seem to learn something with everyone.
I may never have all the classic half dollar commems but what I have I enjoy.
Thank you for taking the time from your day to post these informative articles.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kellyk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the reverse! Thanks for sharing the newspaper article. It is amazing that people passed it on with the coin all these years!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05