Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Buffalo Gold Reverse Proof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2012  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got a survey from the mint
This is how it started

Quote:
American Buffalo 24K Gold Coin's obverse and reverse designs feature images by noted American sculptor James Earle Fraser. The designs were originally featured on the popular "Indian Head," or " Buffalo nickel" which was introduced in 1913 to showcase the native beauty of the American West.

2013 is the 100th Anniversary of the James Earle Fraser design on the American Buffalo 24K Gold Coin. In celebration, the United States Mint is considering introducing a reverse proof coin, which would not be minted to demand but would be minted in quantities sufficient so that most people who currently purchase American Buffalo coins would have the opportunity to buy it. (A reverse proof coin consists of reversing the mirror-like background finish of a traditional proof coin, and applying it to the design elements of the coin to achieve a unique contrast.) In addition, the standard American Buffalo proof coin would be minted to demand.

The price of the 100th Anniversary American Buffalo reverse proof coin will be approximately $2,000.

The price of the standard American Buffalo proof coin will be approximately $2,000.

Note: Pricing for gold coin products is tied to the market price for an ounce of gold and can vary dependent upon changes in the market value (based on the London Fix).

They also asked several Questions about changing the design
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2012  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shirayasha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is great news, I want pics to be leaked about the look of it
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2012  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would be minted in quantities sufficient so that most people who currently purchase American Buffalo

If we take the average gold Buffalo sales from 2007, that's about 40,000. "Most" probably implies something between 25,000 and 35,000. That's about 30% of the mintage of the 2009 UHR, but nearly double of the latest Buffalo. With gold prices going upward, it will probably sell for well above $2,000. That might depress sales. It would be embarrassing to the mint to pick a mintage for it and not sell out.

Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be embarrassing to the mint to pick a mintage for it and not sell out.

I wouldnt be surprised if they just said mint to order and planned for around 20k initially. 2,000 dollar coins dont exactly fly off the shelf
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. . . .

*waits for the option for dirt-poor collectors*

I'd like a 100th anniversary coin. But it'd have to be, y'know . . . a $20, regular cupro-nickel planchet type thing. That kind of money could replace my car!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4836 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got that survey as well. When asked for comments/suggestions at the end, I indicated it would be nice if they could also produce a silver version of the coin since $2000+ will be prohibitively expensive for most collectors.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinguy1000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with barryg
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I indicated it would be nice if they could also produce a silver version of the coin since $2000+ will be prohibitively expensive for most collectors.

I don't think that the mint can produce silver Buffalo (or for that matter clad) without an act of Congress explicitly authorizing that. If they wanted to please collectors at the lower end of the scale, they probably could produce fractional Buffaloes, although it's questionable how satisfying a 1/10 oz coin really would be.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05