Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Elgin Revisited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,631Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2012  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my previous post regarding the Elgin, Illinois Centennial half-dollar (see http://goccf.com/t/117181&SearchTerms=elgin), I discussed the coin's design and designer along with the coin's limited artist-signed presentation holder. Tonight I thought I'd share some original correspondence related to the promotion and ordering of the coin.

First up is an image of the letter that L.W. Hoffecker (on behalf of the Elgin Centennial Monumental Committee) sent to prospective buyers. It touted "advance orders" already received to encourage prompt action to avoid missing out and a selling price lower than competing commemorative programs. You'll note also Hoffecker's bid to establish credibility via his reference to his involvement with the Old Spanish Trail half-dollar. It's interesting to note that a year or so later, Trygve Rovelstad (the coin's designer) and the Elgin Committee were handling collector inquiries and orders directly, but at slightly increased price of $1.75 per coin.

Read More: Commems Collection

Next is a copy of the Order Form that was included with the letter. This "pink copy" appears to be a carbon copy from a two-part form intended to be a receipt for the collector placing the order.

As promised in the sales letter, a post card acknowledging the order was sent out by Hoffecker. Note from above that Hoffecker's sales letter was dated July 1, 1936. The collector obviously received it in a matter of days as he was able to respond promptly with an order for a single coin sent out on July 6, 1936. Hoffecker then acknowledged the order just a few days later on July 9, 1936 â€" very efficient! The card also has a note hand written by the collector indicating receipt of his Elgin coin on October 15, 1936.

Lastly, an image of the simple, unmarked cardboard holder used to distribute the Elgin coin. The greenish color seen is actually the remnants of a type of water-activated paper tape used to secure the coin in the holder -- I can only hope the portions of tape in contact with the coin were left dry!

Enjoy!

1936 Elgin, Illinois Centennial Half-Dollar - Obverse

1936 Elgin, Illinois Centennial Half-Dollar - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2012  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool its a reminder for us modern collectors to try and keep the OGP with the COA with the coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As with all your posts very interesting.
This is one I still need for my collection.
Since most of these are to me high dollar, this set
is gonna take many years to complete, but I will get it
finished some day. I Hope.
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

You posts have inspired me to look around for coins with "added value" at the next coin show. I have noticed stuff like this before, but I never really appreciated it until now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,631Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05