Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1996 Smithsonian Anniversary Young Collectors Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,848Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2012  11:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In a previous post, I mentioned that my collection of modern US commemoratives is comprised of all uncirculated coins plus a handful of additional proof coins. Here is one of the proof coins - the 1996 Smithsonian Institution 150th Anniversary silver dollar " via the limited edition Young Collectors set (though not specifically labeled as such).

Most Young Collector sets produced by the US Mint have included half-dollar coins, but in a couple of cases, when no half-dollar was part of the sponsor's program, a silver dollar was featured. Considering the educational mission of the Smithsonian Institution, creating a set focused on young collectors made perfect sense. As usual, the set features colorful, friendly cartoon graphics and informative, easy-to-understand text.

The proof dollar is embedded in a four-panel coin folder with a protective outer sleeve or slipcase. Production of the sets was capped at 25,000; a total of 129,152 proof dollars were struck.

These sets have always been well-done. I'm surprised they haven't been more popular and more frequently issued.

Slipcase " Front

Slipcase " Back

Coin Folder " Front

Coin Folder " Interior, Top

Coin Folder " Interior, Bottom

Coin Folder " Back

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is awesome.

Having grown up in DC, I wish that I would have gotten my hands on one of these with I was younger.

Thank you for sharing your collection with us commems. This is a little off the beaten path in relation to most of your posts, but I really enjoyed this one.

Thanks again!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jarubla to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, fantastic commemorative! Thanks for the share!

-Jay
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well done product. I could do without the random bike riding scenes but I do like how they did everything else
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2012  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a little off the beaten path in relation to most of your posts...

Yes, I do tend to focus on the classic commemoratives, but I collect both series and, just like with the classic coins, I collect related ephemera, packaging options and directly related commemorative medals ("cousins" as I call them) for coins of the modern series. I'm glad you enjoyed my foray into the modern!

I could easily do 25 or more posts on topics related to the modern series, maybe I'll mix in a few in between my classic series posts.

Quote:
I could do without the random bike riding scenes...

I don't think they're entirely random, I believe they are meant to make the connection between the Smithsonian of 1846 and the Smithsonian of 1996 via kids riding the bikes of each era. All the Young Collector sets use cartoons of kids, so I believe it is keeping with the general theme.

@jbuck: Cool!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/06/2012 10:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice presentation commems of this interesting and relatively unknown set ... and I agree that the bicycle theme actually works for me.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,848Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05