Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1984 Los Angeles Olympics $10 Gold

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 13,023Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...1854 gold quarter eagles and gold half eagles. The coins were struck at five different mint facilities and carried the "C," "D," "O" and "S" mint marks for Charlotte, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco

Commems - in that year, I do believe the "D" coins were from the mint in Dahlonega, GA! I don't believe the Denver mint was operational until 1906.
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One_fine_dime: you're absolutely right, I can't believe I didn't catch my mistake before posting. Thanks for the correction.
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
02/09/2018 4:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
101830 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A commems error!? That is more difficult to find than the most elusive DDO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems -
I knew it was an inadvertent error...just wanted to clarify for others less in the know.

That 1854S is pretty darn elusive for any collector (both the half and quarter eagles)!

It is fascinating to note which issues were struck at more than 3 mints. I don't currently collect them but was thinking it would be neat to put together a 16 coin set of the P, D, O, S Barber dimes issued from 1906 to 1909. In that overlap period when N'awlins was on its way out and Denver was just getting started, it looks like only the dimes were minted at all four mints in four consecutive years.
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secondnomore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, it is time for me to go for the gold!

Now have the existing coins I bought 30+ years ago in a 3-coin OGP holder with a nice hole in the middle awaiting its future occupant.

I have been having difficulties finding this particular piece for sale, though... there were (supposedly) none at a recent show I attended, and a couple of dealers I saw after that at their shops said they also did not have any available. There are sets and also individual coins on eBay... but I wonder how likely it is that this coin has been counterfeited at some point. I assume ANY gold is subject to fraud by bad actors, especially from overseas.

Can I trust an eBay auction for these? Or am I better off dealing with a coin shop I may trust?

Also, why now are they so hard to find? The price is barely over melt and I would think most people would be glad to unload them... Is there a hefty price upside on these that I don't know about as to numismatic value? (Hint: gold ain't going up anytime soon.... maybe)

Bottom line: How do I GET ONE?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can I trust an eBay auction for these?

Overall yes. Avoid sellers located in asia. Avoid things that seem to good to be true, and buy one graded and you'll be fine. There's a strong buyer protection, the real risk is to honest sellers
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secondnomore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had it mentioned to me that it is very difficult to fake a proof, and more-or-less pointless to fake any coin that is not intended for circulation. I have also been told that there are really no known cases of this coin being counterfeited successfully on the open market.

"Avoid sellers located in Asia"... really kind of self-evident for sure. I already had THAT one figured out.

Buying a lowball commem on eBay (which I have done several times) has a certain comfort level that spending $600+ for gold does NOT.

But given the opinions I have heard, I think that is an OK route. I do have a show to go to this weekend. I intend to fill that hole one way or another!
Edited by secondnomore
09/13/2018 12:26 am
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the time of issue we called these $10s "Dick and Jane Jogging" and time hasn't really changed my impression. Disappointing designs all the way around for that program.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems Thank you for the information on the 1984 Olympic Gold Commemoratives. One of my favorite Gold Commemoratives. I happened to run across the complete 5 coin gold set in a NGC MS70 slab a few years back and I had to buy it (it wasn't cheap). As soon as I figure out how to properly post pictures I will do so. It is truly a beautiful set for sure!
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secondnomore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems, I tried to send you an e-mail but I evidently don't have enough posts on here.

I GOT one on eBay and the set itself looks fantastic... I asked a question on a new topic in this forum about something I noticed, specifically:

1. Possible ejection pin marks on the plastic OGP capsules (which I found on all 3 coins)

2. A spot of haziness at the highpoint of the eagle's breast on the $10 and if that is capsule-related (it seems to be common on these pieces)

Just making SURE everything's OK with these... I have wanted this set for a long time.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secondnomore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: had the coin tested with the analyzer through the capsule and it reads spot-on for 90% gold! The guy who did it checked it with a microscope and he said it was a "strong" coin (would grade high PF68 or 69) and really clean. The mark in question, he said he could barely see and it was obviously on the plastic.

That does give me a better feeling, to say the least. Proud to finally have that set.

Now I can work on lowball commemoratives LOL
Edited by secondnomore
11/09/2018 10:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What lowball commems are you working on? BTW I would like to see a modern gold commem pocketpiece :)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18694 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting.
I didn't know that XRF would work through the acrylic plastic protection.

That's nice to know for those suspect that they may have a fake coin in fake slab.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BTW I would like to see a modern gold commem pocketpiece :)

How about a 1993 G6 $25 dollar gold eagle? Or one of the 8 2000 $50 gold eagles, there's a F12 2001 too. That's all PCGS had in the population reports for modern gold, the other series were all MS coins commems included
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 13,023Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05