Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Wisconsin Revisited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,603Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2012  4:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my previous post about the 1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial half-dollar (link: http://goccf.com/t/116963), I included images of the coin's "cousin" (the official centennial souvenir medal) but no related ephemera (i.e., paper items). This was because unlike a good number of the other classic US commemorative issues of the mid-1930s, the Wisconsin coins were not distributed in a decorative holder - - " just a plain, white cardboard holder that could hold up to five coins. Such plain holders can be easily counterfeited/duplicated/substituted. To date, I haven't come across one with its original mailing envelope (with or without a coin), so I've been reluctant to buy any of the generic, unverifiable holders I've encountered.

Read More: Commems Collection

Since my original post, however, I have come across a paper item connected to the Wisconsin half-dollar - a copy of the official "Souvenir Program" of the 1936 Wisconsin Centennial. Certainly an interesting read on its own, but especially relevant for collectors of classic US commemorative coins due to it including a page about the Wisconsin coin which features information on the coin and pictures of the final plaster models for the coin's obverse and reverse. I thought folks might be interested.

I've included images of a few pages from the Souvenir Program along with images of my example of the coin.

Enjoy!

Souvenir Program: Cover

Souvenir Program: Title Page

Souvenir Program: Celebration Story Page

Souvenir Program: Commemorative Coin Page

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Half-Dollar - Obverse

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Half-Dollar - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/28/2012 4:37 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going through withdrawal. Thank you for this excellent post!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2012  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah! Commems is back - I can't wait to read this when I get home.

I do have a new commemorative to post but am waiting for it's debut in GTP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks for another exceptional post expanding all of our horizons in the world of USA commemorative.

Enjoy the photo in the brochure of "Milwaukee in the early 1800's".

Pleased for you to add this to your museum set commems ... and absolutely thrilled that you continue to share these valued items with all of us.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do have a new commemorative to post but am waiting for it's debut in GTP.
And that is appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2012  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular as always, Commems!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05