Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Medieval Silver Coins Good Condition | Lithuania

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,646Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  3:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone know what these are , and do they
Look real , also a value?

Anyone with any knowledge thanks

Identified - moved to World Coins forum - Sap
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cursive to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you find these?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top right, dated 1556, with legend MONETA MAGNI DUCAT LITVA , would appear to be a half groschen of Sigismund II, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
737 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rooneydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cursive - Supuser0 (Ebay) finds lots of coins (especially Sigismund) near the Thames !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First two top row, and bottom left, are half groschen of Sigismund I, dated (15)12, (15)13, and 1510, respectively. All coins of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania!
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , thought I'd share this item , I didn't know wether to bid , just tried to look for them couldn't identify , so I thought to share them and ask the community for advice and value
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea why coins from 16th-century Lithuania are being found by a Thames mudlarker?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
737 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rooneydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philadelphian - have a look at his very latest feedback, but I have noticed that he has sold numerous Sigismund coins with no negative feedback, also quite a lot of Unknown Coin / Token's which look like gaming tokens George III imitation Guineas only showing the Obverse - make your own mind up.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I donk think he finds them neer thames, it justhelps him sell them , do those coins look dug up
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2013  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
His most recent feed back

Probily right , many eBay sellers say "random 100g". " Unsearched coin lot" , but what coincollecter will give away coins wich could be worth more than selling price , they sometimes even make out as if some could be rare , and buyers fall for it. DONT .... DONT LET BUSINESS AND STAR RATING TRICK YOU ..for a real deal its best looking at newbies and people who have put coins on eBay for the fist time

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roderick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I worked in Estonia, these types of coins were to be found in almost every coin/antique shop in Tallinn, Tartu and Parnu. According to the Estonian dealers, these coins are commonly found in hordes which were buried for safe keeping during the Livonian War (1558-1583) which found the Poles, Lithuanians and Swedes fighting against the Russian over the control of present day Latvia and Estonia (Livonia). By the way these same types of coins are to be found in the few Riga, Latvia coin/antique shops that I have visited.
Edited by Roderick
01/07/2013 1:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3307 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I worked in Estonia, these types of coins were to be found in almost every coin/antique shop in Tallinn, Tartu and Parnu. According to the Estonian dealers, these coins are commonly found in hordes which were buried for safe keeping during the Livonian War (1558-1583) which found the Poles, Lithuanians and Swedes fighting against the Russian over the control of present day Latvia and Estonia (Livonia). By the way these same types of coins are to be found in the few Riga, Latvia coin/antique shops that I have visited.

Darn it... I've been recently (August) in Vilnius, Lithuania (the one Baltic capital you didn't mention), and if I've seen something like that on sale (I mean seriously, 16th century?) I would've tried to buy it immediately.
Right now, my only dated coin from the 16th century is a Russian wire copeck from 1599 - and I only bought it this year.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the lot on eBay now

United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think that's over priced
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roderick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Vilnius area may not have hordes of these coins as it was not part of battle area. The area between Riga and Narva was where the fighting and of course coin hiding took place. Here is a link to an article about large Russian coin horde found 3 years ago in Narva dating from the period of the Livonian War. [url]http://www.minelab.com/consumer/success-stories/discovery-of-a-huge-coin-hoard-1[url]

As to the price of these coins, they appear to be in better condition than many of the excavated coins that I have seen. If your income is denominated in GBP (no exchange costs) and you live in the UK (no international postage), I would say the price as it is now is quite fair. Even if you had to pay a little more, that would be so much cheaper than taking a metal detector horde finding expedition to Estonia or Latvia.
Valued Member
Austria
194 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add platinrubel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i donĀ“t think they are genuine - there are a lot of modern fakes on the way this time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05