Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Countdown From 1 => To 207

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16963 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arcadius, 383-408 AD. Æ Nicomeda mint
4.77 grams, 23 mm. Obverse: D N ARCADI-VSPPAVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: GLORIA ROMANORVM, Arcadius standing right, holding labarum and globe,*//SMNA in exergue. RIC IX 46b.2.

Edited by IndianGoldEagle
04/05/2013 1:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a nice Arcadius AE2. Your collection is starting to get really nice, IGE.
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are getting close to the end of this thread. The remaining emperors are rare and extremely rare so we might not see many. Up next is Sebastianus, Constantius III, Johannes, and Valentinian III. Posting will end at 10 pm toworrow.
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Johannes

AE4
DN IOHANNES PF AVG
VICTORIA AVGG
S in left field
RM
RIC X ROME 1910
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely don't have any of those.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
me either, but interested to see some.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valentinian III

"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  03:18 am  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento, nice coin but how are you able to tell it's johannes? I tried looking carefully at the obverse but I couldn't tell from the photo.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  08:18 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VK, When I first found the coin I thought it was Avitus, but after some research and having it looked at by other collectors it was attributed to Johannes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really difficult to tell with those very late Roman coins. I wonder how some of these dealers manage to attribute them because they look as poorly manufactured as a lot of barbs at the time, and the legend is unreadable to non-existent. Some of them seem to go by the style of the portrait. Like, Johannes has a beard, etc. Sometimes I wonder how they attribute those Valentinian III coins as well.
Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how some of these dealers manage to attribute them because they look as poorly manufactured as a lot of barbs at the time
That's because most just guess and since they know coins of Val III, Johannes, etc. are scarce to rare, they label them as such. Same thing with a lot of barbarous 4th, 5th century Roman coins being described as Vandal. A few I know can be identified as Vandal on stylistic grounds but for the most part you can't tell for sure.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
btw I'm envious of your Johannes echizento Very cool! Can't wait to get my first one.

Learn More...
United States
22413 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks VK, This was found in an uncleaned lot that I had sitting in olive oil for over a year. It almost got overlooked because it had a lot of crud. But it cleaned up nicely, though it too a long time to do so.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4150 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joannes in an uncleaned lot?! Lucky son of a...

With all the various rarities and coins I've found, I doubt ill ever find soemthing as high up the list as Joannes.
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05