Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stain From A Rubber Band

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  6:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just received these two halves in the mail today from an auction. they where in 2x2's with a rubber band around them vertically and horizontally. Now they have a black stain on them. And yes I did remove the coin from the 2x2 to make sure it was on the coin. What to do? Sorry the pictures are not the best.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An acetone rinse may have some beneficial effect.
If not, you're pretty much going to have to leave it the way it is unless you want to destroy the original surfaces. Rubber bands contain sulfur, one of the strongest coin staining substances. No cure for it once darkened that does not involve loss of natural toning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15755 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone rinse won't do anything. the only way to remove that discoloration would be to strip the surfaces with an acidic or basic chemical dip. And since the coin is worn you will be left with a dead appearing cleaned coin.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5849 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skyshark124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, a quick dip in hot water with a pinch of salt and a bit of baking soda and a square of foil would maybe remove that marking, but it would also clean the surface of the coin. I agree that acetone would be worth a shot if it was something less sulfuric.
Edited by skyshark124
04/17/2013 8:59 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13140 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "stain" comes from sulfur in the rubber. It is sulfur in the air and on people's fingers that causes silver to naturally tone or tarnish; so your "stain" is chemically identical to the rest of the "natural" toning on the coin, which you would presumably prefer not to remove.

So the sad news is, you can't remove it without removing the rest of the toning and creating a "cleaned coin". It is up to you whether you prefer to own a coin that has "rubber band stripes" or a coin that is "cleaned", but this coin no longer has the option of being neither. If they were my coins shipped like that and I knew the coins didn't have the stripes when I bought them, I'd be ropable; their shipping methodology has ruined your coins.

Personally, I'd prefer leaving it as-is. I hate the cleaned look worse than I hate black stripes.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2013  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have already contacted them, What would be a reasonable settlement? I am thinking like half my money back.......
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15787 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2013  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sulphur is commonly used in the vulcanisation of rubber.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05